This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
I thought it would be nice to start a discussion for our children leaving the week of October 25th 2010.  Welcome everyone.  Kathy   

Views: 1539

Replies to This Discussion

Drews mom, figuring it all out as you go and being a planner who can't really make timely plans is very much a part of adjusting to life as a military Mom! Unfortunately, Ma Navy doesn't consult us when she makes her schedules! LOL "Needs of the Navy" dictates all. As I told another Mom earlier in this thread, "Nothing like trying to plan when Ma Navy is in control of our calendars and calling all the shots! :-) Get used to writing everything down in pencil." :)

I think you were actually quoting the comment I left earlier on the main comment wall in reply to sara's questions about the graduation dates, Leave and A school. Just want to make a slight correction to your understanding of the info. I said they'd be "in the hole" IF they were offered the opportunity to take Leave after a holiday graduation, while A schools are on stand down.

Also I did not say that they wouldn't be able to take any between A school grad and deployment. A lot can happen, and much time can pass between those two things. Some Sailors must attend secondary specialty training first, such as C school, Nukes to power school or Corpsmen to FMTB training. After those graduations, or right after A school, they are usually sent to their first duty station. If they are sent overseas, or attached to a ship or unit that is scheduled for deployment, it may happen right away. Otherwise, they could be at the duty station serving awhile before actually being deployed, in which case, they may have time to accrue and take Leave. All depends on their Rating and their Command and again, the "Needs of the Navy."

I should mention that all this pertains to Active Duty Navy. Reservists follow a different path after A school graduation.

I think it's so cool that your Dad is a retired Captain! =) PIR will be so memorable and special for all of you!! You just burst with pride as you watch your new, polished Sailor march in with his Div. Everything at RTC is state of the art now, and the PIR ceremony is nothing like the graduations of old. It's an awesome, once in a lifetime experiance! :-)

p.s. you can either click on "view all members" in this Oct Group-go back to the main page-to find Sobe, or go up to the gray "Members" tab at the top of this or any page and punch her name in the search box. She helps in all these DEP groups like Jess does. :)
iluvangels. 70 is certainly respectable, but depending on what he wants to do, and his ship out date, he may want to ask to take the Asvab again before he leaves. Until you raise your right hand that final time at MEPS, before shipping out, you are not yet officially obliged to the Navy. As a Recruit, you are in control and can ask for a job change or later ship out date. (or take an earlier one!) Pickings are slim right now though with the Navy overmanned, and people lining up at the recruiter's offices. Plus, the new fiscal year doesn't begin until Oct. I know they are really pushing for Nuke slots, that's one thing the Navy needs a lot of right now. That and SEALS!

I've been told that there are practice Asvabs and study materials available online. That 70 is a mid range percentile score I believe. Doesn't seem like they are looking at anyone with a score lower than 50. The higher your score, the more Ratings (job) choices you qualify for. Our Nukes usually score in the 90's, with 99 being the highest possible. I believe "high" then would be 85 or above, but I'd have to double check that. Of course, the Asvab is designed to test not only what you know, but what skills and strengths, or weaknesses, you have, where you are competent and how much so. The overall scoring to qualify for specific jobs is rather complex.

For more of a break down and explanation, I am leaving the link to my friend Mary's old discussion in our education forum about this subject. There are two about.com links there in the final comment that are very helpful: http://www.navyformoms.com/forum/topics/1971797:Topic:214698
My son scored a 93 on his ASVAB test, he also tested for NUKES, we did not get nukes score all they would tell us is he did very well. The score didn't matter because he is color blind so regardless of his test scores, he was stuck with a minimal job list. Of course he could have went medical field but did not want. I feel really bad now for him, i feel like my sons brain is going to be wasted on some menial navy job when he could have gone to college :(
Hi Amy, If I remember correctly isn't Ryan signed up for Logistics? That sounds like a great rate. There are many in the navy that are color blind and still get great jobs. Believe me, your son's brain will not be wasted. Find out all you can about his rating, logistics, and support Ryan in his choice of job. In the end that is all we can do and he can still go to college either in the navy or when he gets out. In the navy no job is menial and all jobs are necessary. It must be so hard for you with your son so young and wondering if he will be ok with his decisions. In many ways it is easier for me with my son older and being independent and making his own decisions for quite a while. I do still worry though if he will be happy in the choices he makes but only time will tell. Kathy
You are right he is in Logistics, i am very proud of him and have complete confidence in him. I am so glad he chose the navy :) I guess as time is approaching i am second guessing everything :( He is completely excited and has no idea that i think these thoughts. I know logistics is a good rate, his recruiter is same thing but doesn't elaborate much. Ryan wants to be a programmer, he dreams of making simulation programs for training and troubleshooting etc etc. I am just hoping that boot camp and A school go well and he feels confidant in his decision !!
Thanks Angie. I have so much information floating around in my head and it is getting really mixed up! I feel like I have so much to learn. He is my only son and is used to discussing everything with me and I am used to doing too much for him, lol. I am trying to help him grow up by making him more responsible, but I feel like he isn't getting enough information so I am trying to find out all I can!
You are welcome Betsy! All the best to him. Nothing like a happy (future for now) Sailor who loves what he is doing! :-)

Drew's Mom, you certainly are in the right place to find out all you can! :) Knowledge is power, and dispels fear and misinformation. I think it also makes for a smoother transition from Civie to Sailor for both the Recruit and their loved ones too! :-)
Hi Susan, I think someone already mention that CTR is an intelligence rating and it deals with cryptology collection. My son doesn't even know exactly what he will be doing but he is looking forward to it. lol. How did you fare with H. Earl. I hope you and yours did alright. This year I am looking forward to a white Christmas in Great Lakes. This might be the first time I don't have a Christmas dinner but I will get a brand new sailor instead. Oh, yes, in case no one has mentioned it, there is a IT group called IT Moms. You can find out a lot about the rating and talk to other moms that have children with the same rating. In search type in "IT Moms" and click on the magnifying symbol. Have a nice day. Kathy
here's a group to join as well http://www.navyformoms.com/group/deppersinbutnotyet read some of the discussions for good info
Amy, I'm glad your son didn't go for something he had no interest in. It is a bummer that colorblindness knocks them out of some interesting job opportunities. :( Still, since he's bright, he'll probably learn quickly, listen and obey well and therefore be noticed by those who command him. They'll have access to his file too, his ASVAB score is part of that info. He may be given opportunities to shine wherever he is. Betsy is right, there are no unimportant jobs in the Navy...(some that are more dangerous or higher security for sure) BC is all about learning to be part of a TEAM. If everyone pulls their weight and does their job well, the Division excels and is rewarded. Same thing in the Fleet. You gotta rely on the guys you serve with to do what is needed when it's needed and do it right. The training they receive is second to none.

Susan, missing your Sailor at holidays and special occasions is never something you really overcome (i.e. get used to) but you do learn to cope and adapt and not to be so closely glued to what the calendar says the date is, to find the joy and ways to celebrate anyways. :-) Of course you will also have your new N4M friends and Navy family to help carry you through! :) Take it one step, one hurdle at a time.

Kathy had it exactly right. don't miss them while you are with them and take everything one step or stage, one month, week or sometimes day at a time. Never get too far ahead of yourself. That can be overwhelming. As they go, you'll grow with them into and as a Navy Mom. :-)
Hi Betsy, How are you doing? I am hanging in there and watching the countdown clock go under 50 days on my page. You are going to be moving to Maryland pretty soon, right? That must take a lot of planning. I have moved a few times since I have been married and the one thing I always loved was having a clean brand new house (at least to me) to live in. It is like a start over and all the junk I didn't need but collected can finally be thrown or given away. Just now my son was doing sit ups on the floor in our den and his brother was holding his legs down. I should have taken a picture or video. Memories to cherish. I better watch out or every time he does something like brush his teeth I will think memories to cherish. lol. I am a sentimental fool, Have a good night. Kathy
iluvangels. The Oct Group this discussion is in, is one of 12 "Leavin' in" DEP monthly subgroups. I think Kathy was referring to this popular discussion that can be found in our Main DEP/Future Sailors Group:

http://www.navyformoms.com/group/deppersinbutnotyet/forum/topics/th...

Good luck on the house hunting! :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service