This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Can someone explain what Sailor of the Quarter is? What's the critera for recieving it etc?

Views: 23701

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son Eric recently received Sailor of the Year- I knew it was a big deal and I am so proud of him!! Thank you to all who explained how you earn this award. I just wish I could have been there for the award ceremony!
Oh hard to expain, each command I believe picks a sailor of the quarter then of the four for the year they pick sailor of the year, my son just got sailor the quarter for his command in San Diego, then they go up against other commands on base then the fleet etc... I think it is a good thing on their record but I don't know how far they go with this.
My son has been in the Navy since May 2007. Since then he has received the Blue Jacket of the Quarter in 2008, the NAM after his deployment to Kuwait last year (2009), and now has been nominated for Jr. Sailor of the Quarter. He is a hospital corpsman stationed in San Diego and I am very proud of him. He decided before he ever got out of bootcamp that he wanted to make a career of the Navy.
My son also recieved the Blue Jacket Award while in A-School a year and a half ago, recently was nominated for JR Sailor of the Quarter, but did not win this one, but what a honor to have been nominated while at his first Command at Camp Smith in Hawaii. I too am so proud of him win or not.

MY DAUGHTER JUST GOT BLUE JACKET SAILOR OF THE QUARTER FOR OCEANA FRC COMMAND, I READ WHAT WAS WRITTEN BELOW BUT IF SOMEONE COULD HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS REALLY MEANS? I AM VERY PROUD OF HER AND SHE IS PROUD OF HERSELF YOU COULD HEAR IT IN HER VOICE

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

BARB

CONGRATS to your daughter!  It means her chain of command thought she was doing a great job and put her in, againts all the other jr folks at the command. Than the senior people got together and reviewed everything she has done for the last quarter (3 months) they may have done a board (which means she stands in front of a group of senior people and they ask her questions, about her job, the USN, and what is going on in the world).  After all that SHE was selected as the Blue Jacket of the Quarter (BJOQ).

CONGRATS! 

My son was just nominated for JSOQ, we are so proud of him..
My Son was Silor of the Quarter 3 times, Sailor of the Year on his ship when out last. He was named  #2 Instructor of the Year in the  WHOLE Navy and we all went to Washington. He was named Sailor of the Year on his San Diego  base today. GOD BLESS YOU  ALL Sailor THEY work way too hard. These awards  show how far they have come and  that they are watched when we dont think any one cares . They DO appreciate it hard work is an accet in the Navy. You should be proud. I just wish my son could come  home to see his son befor he goes to sea in 10 months. But  by our childrens actions  we know we did good . There  great men  doing what others fear to do. God Bless and THANKYOU STAY SAFE.   Oh if you are in radio shack  they have lil mini lights  that fit in pockets. U ou can add magnets to them . That way on ship they lit in pockets to see way to bunk and hang on ther  bunk wall to see  better ;). GL.  Sincerely Tina Pratt

My son has just been nominated for SOY and an NAM; As so many other Mom's have said; "It is like pulling teeth to get any information from a humble kid".  I am just so proud and excited!  Does anyone know how much notice between the confirmation and award ceremony?  I would love to attend, but would have to travel from California to Georgia...  I would move mountains to go with enough notice!  Any feedback would be appreciated!

It can take a while, and usually there is little notice for the ceremony.  Usually takes place in conjunction with a planned quarterly inspection, and sometimes they don't notify the sailor in advance!  He might not know himself until right before anything happens.  Who would know?  The Command Masterchief, that's who.  You usually can come up with their number using google and a little search savvy.  Can't hurt to try.
Thank you sooo much!  I will do exactly that.... Your help is genuinely appreciated!

Our son recently received 3 awards - Outstanding Performance, Sailor of the Month and a NAM - he was nominated as Jr. Sailor of the Quarter - he said they told him about it a day before he had to go in front of the board - he said that review didn't go so well - but he is always very humble about these things - we are so proud of him and told him it was an honor to be nominated as JSOQ and that he probably did better than he thinks!  Does anyone know if they tell you right away if you won the honor as JSOQ or does it take a while?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service