This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

Navy Social Links Para Padres

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy.

Format Downloads:

First Time Here?

Before you get started, make sure to read over our Community Guidelines.

Create a profile so you can post Photos and Videos of your son or daughter and share stories with other moms.

If you’re looking for specific answers or just someone to talk with one-on-one, browse the Forums or search Members profiles.

Navy Speak

See this PDF for Navy Speak

N4M Merchandise


**Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by cafepress or zazzle


Hi all, my son just found out that his NFCU account was hacked. The credit union locked his account immediately, and he changed all of his info this morning at their office. They do have the name, address, etc... of the individual who hacked him, and the person is, unfortunately, a member of the military. He used his name to apply for a car loan with my son as co-signer.

My question is this: I advised him to file a police report with Norfolk PD for identity theft, but does he need to involve the military police in this, as well? First time we've had to deal with something like this, so I want to be able to steer him in the right direction.

He's pretty angry, I don't blame him.

Thanks for any advice!

Views: 627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Auralei: I'm sorry to hear this happened to Chris. I have a lot of experience in civilian law but none in military law. However, Chris has access to legal advice on base. He needs to go there first. Have Chris ask if this case will be prosecuted and by whom (Navy or local police or the feds). He just needs to remember to ask a lot of questions and follow up. The "squeeky" wheel gets the oil.....
Thanks, Melissa, I'm calling him back later today to see what the local PD advised. I'll have him look for the legal office there. I also told him to go ahead and get copies of his credit reports, just in case, and to file a complaint with the FTC.

I feel awful for him, he can't even access his own money right now :( But at least the credit union was on top of things, and froze the account as soon as anything suspicious happened.
If Identity Theft Strikes—Here's What to Do
If you think you are a victim of identity theft, take these steps immediately.

Notify any one of the three major credit bureaus and place a Fraud Alert on your credit report.
This can help prevent an identity thief from opening additional accounts in your name. Once the credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the other two credit bureaus will automatically be notified.

Equifax: 1-888-766-0008
Experian: 1-888-397-3742
TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289

Contact Navy Federal or other financial institutions and credit card companies.
Close the affected accounts and open new ones with new Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) and passwords.
File a report with your local law enforcement agency.
Your local police department can file a miscellaneous incident report. Even if you do not catch the criminal, having the police report can help you clear up your credit records. Be sure to obtain a case number and ask for a copy of the report.
Contact all the businesses that have opened accounts in your name without your permission.
Close the accounts and let the businesses know that the accounts were opened fraudulently. Make sure you communicate with the businesses in writing.
Notify the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
Call 877-ID-THEFT (877-438-4338) or visit By sharing your identity theft complaint with the FTC, you will provide information that can help law enforcement officials track down identity thieves.
Report stolen mail.
File a report with the U.S. Postal Service. Call your local Postal Inspector or visit
Call the Social Security Fraud Hotline.
Immediately report that your card has been lost or stolen by calling the Hotline at 1-800-269-0271. Be sure to obtain a new driver's license and number.
Report stolen checks.
If your checks are stolen or misused, stop all payments and contact these check verification companies:

Telecheck: 1-800-710-9898
Certegy, Inc.: 1-800-437-5120

You can also call SCAN 1-800-262-7771 to find out if bad checks have been passed in your name.
Alert the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
If you identify suspicious activity in your investment accounts, call the SEC at 1-800-732-0330.
Steve's Mom, perfect! Emailing this info to him right now. Thank you!
Your welcome Auralei. I forgot to mention to have him get a decent virus control that has protection on it. Also, don't let him be swayed from being angry and prosecuting this, if the guy who did it gives him a sad story.
Thanks, Hoppi, I spoke with him again earlier, and he did follow the chain of command and let them know what had happened. He also has to call the police department back on Monday, as well as the bank. His shipmates have offered to help him out until the account is unfrozen, and the officer he spoke to is helping him with the legal aspects of it. Great folks on his ship. Keeping our fingers crossed that this is resolved quickly. We had a long talk about identity theft and ways to protect himself. Can't be too careful nowadays, that's for sure!
Hope it all comes out ok.. My Army son got robbed in the barracks last week.. I bought him a camera for his birthday (21st) and Christmas present since he will be in Iraq for both and he wasnt even home 2 days when his room mate had a guy in their room that stole it.. There are dishonest people everywhere.. the military sadly is not immune... Debby


© 2016   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service