This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Update:

As most of you guys know, I run two Navy forum websites, one for Deppers (www.NavyDep.com), one for Families (www.NavyFamilies.com).  I also write for many Navy websites for active duty and veterans under the user name 93Corvette.  It's kind of a hobby for me. 

I orginally wrote this for my active duty and veterans attention since it really means alot to us sailors.  But after thinking about it more, I thought I'd just address it to everyone.  I know you mom can't/won't understand the whole post but I think you'll get most of it. 

I will also add a test question just to make it fun.  I am trying to located the newspaper article link concerning this subject, but I haven't found it yet.  Just so you have a copy. 

Beleive me, your sailor will think this is so cool. 

Guaranteed, you parents/spouses/GF/BF will know more about the Navy (probably even more than your sons/daughters/spouses).

Hope you guys will appreciate it.... and dang it, I hope I find the newspaper.....

-------------------------
Active Duty & Vets,
I know you love hearing new sea-stories and will appreciate seeing this….

I was explaining to a new sailor about how we get mail while we're at sea and 1000's of miles from anywhere. He was amazed that the P-3 Orion’s can drop the Mail Buoy's in the water and how we pick them up. Then low and behold... Today, the Navy had a press release that the old Mail Buoy's are being replace and deployed with new ones. They say it might take several years to replace all of them, but this is a good start....This is great news for our new Sailors!!!!! Woo-hoo.....

They said that the old way of getting strapped in his kapok life jacket, having the big grey & cumbersome phone talking helmet on, having Mickey-Mouse phone talking set w/ the huge mouth piece was getting in the way and causing safety concerns.  They further stated, that the uniform of the day will still be required, and the pant-legs will continue to be tucked in.  You will still have those dorky black socks pulled up high over the pant-legs & onto the calves. But the crusty old boat hook is now replaced by a magnesium metal one which has less weight than the old one....

These new buoys now have radar beacons on them so they don't get lost.  They continue to say when the P-3 Orion’s drop them in the water the ships can locate them and come within 1000yds of them with the beacons.  Yea 1000yd, probably a number they give for OPSEC reasons….. (wink)

Man these new Sailors today get all the fun new toys....

You remember these old days? 

Here is what they said the new buoys would look like, they said they would use the old ID-Ten-T Buoys, and put the old post office mail symbols signs (used pre-1994 era). This is kind-of what these new mail buoy's will look like once they are released (from Navy.Persman.gov).  What is really cool is they say there are millions of old post office signs in a warehouse that were going to be melted down. Rather than waste the money to recycle a useful item, the Navy decided to take possession of them and use them. They realized that the buoys are always in salt water and will rust the signs and rather than buy even more new signs, they will reuse the old ones once they get un-serviceable, just put another one on.

Do you still remember waiting for mail and how the announce over the 1MC (Loud Ship Announce system) "NOW SET the Mail-Buoy Watch!! NOW SET the Mail-Buoy Watch!!" always brought a smile to your face, didn’t it?.....  What we Sailors do for mail!!!

------------------------------------------

Ok, now for the rest of you….
Today you’re going to learn something unique about us sailors…. This is how sailors get our mail while deployed far from land. The P-3 Orion’s will place mail into the mail bouys, and when they get close to the deployed ship, they will dump them into the water. The ship will pull up to them, and sometime they launch the motor whaleboat and pick it up. Sometimes just let the rescue swimmer dive in for it. 

One time when the water was really rough, we actually threw grappling hooks at the bag until we snagged it. But the CO didn't care much for that as the hooks have a tendency to rip into the mail bags.

Here's a real no sh*tter (for you newbie’s and wannabes, that is Navy speak for a Sea Story). We were in the North Atlantic and hadn't been in port for about 28 days. We received radio traffic that a P-3 was inbound with 18 mail bags! The mail buoy watch was set, as was the mail recovery detail. What a b*tch that was! Holy crap, we had green water coming over the fo'csle and it was so cold the sea water was freezing on the deck. We were taking 30-35 degree rolls when we weren't pitching so much you could literally step from one deck to the next if you timed it right. Nearly everyone was launching chow.

Anyway, we had the mailbouy watch tethered to a life line in a full exposure suit. The mail buoy watch was out there for about an hour and a half and only spotted two mail bouys. The Boatswaine Mate Cheif (BMC) was freakin livid. He started reading that Seaman (SN) the riot act. Well, come to find out, the P-3 was not able to drop the other 16 bags! Imagine the look on the BMC's face when he realized that SN had found BOTH bags dropped (very unusual for that kind of weather conditions). Well, the CO had the BMC wrote the SN up for a Navy Achievement Medal (NAM).  And they allowed him to eat in both the Officers Wardroom and the Chief's mess for a week.  btw: We finally got our other 16 bags when we pulled into port.

Ok, here is the question.....

1.  Has anyone ever received a Navy Life Saving Medal, which is an extremely high award, while on the Mail Buoy watch?

A.  No

B.  Yes (Hint, Hint, Wink, Wink, Yes is the answer).....

-------------------

~

~~

~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~

~~

`

~

~~

~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~

~~

`

~

~~

~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~

~~

`

Answer:  B. YES 

Ok, since I consider all of you guys part of my Navy family. I'll let you in on a secret. This is a secret that rarely talked about outside the Navy. Why would I tell you guys? Well, just like my kid, since I’m a Navy guy, I know the ropes and I can guide him on the quirky things us Navy guys do for entertainment.

As a Navy guy, we want all of our Sailors to fit in, and to be welcomed when they get to our ships. So to get them to know the crew we ALWAYS have them do useless things, just so they will meet the crew. The number #1 thing we do it have them do “The Mail Buoy Watch”. The mail buoy watch is just a joke, it doesn’t exist. We explain in detail on how we get our mail while we are deployed and how we get planes (P-3 Orions) to drop the mail buoys in the water.

We truly get our mail at sea by helicopter but mostly we just wait till we get to the next port. I wrote the above just to show you how it seems so real and fully believable.

These sailors in the pictures (on the link) are victims of our prank. We get them all decked out in all the weird gear that is never used. Then as they scan the horizon for the mail buoys, each of the crew will greet the sailor and thank them for doing a great job. This is how the Sailor will actually meet most of the crew. Yes, I know your thinking “That’s cruel”. Well, it’s not. Even the Captain of the ship is in on it. He will see from the bridge how the crew is bonding to the new Sailor and how they are becoming one of the family and team.

With my post, you can see alot of stuff.
~ If anyone ever tells your sailor “Here is a Sea-Story”. Well, if it is a Sea-Story, then it doesn’t exist. All sea-stories are made up. The better the sea-story, the bigger the eyes get for the new Sailor. So, in my example I told a believable sea-story and built it up so it was soooo real.

~ I was talking about the ID-TEN-T’s.  Well when you have them write it you can see this spells ID-10-T or IDIOT….. Why do Sailors do this? Because we are bored, we want the new sailors to forget about being homesick, and get them involved.

~ Usually a good sea story will start with “Here's a real no sh*tter”. That is the key word for the older crew to hop on in and add their items to the story to make it even more believeable. So, if it starts with that sentence, believe me, it’s all bs…..

~ Is there such thing as green water. No

~ Salt water is really hard to freeze to the deck, expecially when the ship is rolling 30 degrees.

~ When I wrote that the sailor will eat with the Officers and Chief... Nope, it will NEVER happen.  These two places are off limits to the crew.  A chief can't even invite you in without the whole mess agreeing, which never happens 
~ Does everyone do the Mail Buoy watch? No, some Sailors go to really long schools.  They learn from the fleet returnees who talk about it. These guys then learn and are fully aware of it before they get to the ship.

Lastly,

When I was in Guam, in the Military newpaper the "Stars & Stripes" they had a front page article about a sailor receiving a Life Saving metal along with a Navy Commenation Metal (NCM) for his work while on "Mail Buoy" watch. Both extremely hard to earn.

What happened was he was decked out in all the garb, boot hook, life jacket, sound power phones, and binoculars. Every 15 minutes he would report to the bridge that no mail buoy sited. Then, he said, "However, there is a bunch of people on a tiny boat that seem to need help". He found Vietnamese boat people on a boat that lost it motor, and was sinking quickly. No one else on our ship saw them. Because he was on Mail Buoy watch, and was looking for the nonexistant mail bouy, he actally found these people. Without him, these 17 people lifes would have been lost (probably only had 30 more minutes to live) 

Again we do other thing to the new guys....  But this is probably the best one.... 

P.S.  Did you like how I photoshop'd the mail sign on the buoy....  I thought I did a great job.... Pat on the back for Craig....

Views: 1373

Replies to This Discussion

totally awesome and believable! You got me!!! LOL
thanks Craig!!
Craig,

You are a hoot. It's seems that you really enjoyed your navy career. Thanks again for a fun AND informational story.
Craig - you are an unending never ceasing well of completely amazing and often crazy sources of random information! haha - Love it!
You just made my day! still laughing

Diane

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service