This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Some parents fear they won’t hear from their kids in the Navy very often.

Misconception? Truth? I know in boot camp sometimes conversation from them is limited, but what about after boot camp?

"Some parents fear they won’t hear from their kids in the Navy very often."

Views: 3630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, does anyone know why our emails are returning or son serves on the USS George Washington and the last time this happened was when they had the fire.

Please let me know if you here anything.

I wished I knew how to find things out better. If you have suggestions please let me know.

Thank you.

Monie
Is he deployed? When they are deployed, they aren't always in communication range. So the emails, both outgoing and incoming, pile up in a filter/server. If it fills up, newer emails can get dropped. When they do get a signal, large emails with attachments that use a lot of bandwidth may be dropped. They are not allowed to use personal computers at sea and share access to the PCs. Also, my friend told me the emails sent from the ship are screened for OPSEC and are not very private.
My son is new to the George Washington. He just got to Japan November 10, 2008. Does not receiving emails have to do with when they are out some where? Right now since the ship is in Yokosuka I talk to my son on the phone and by email. What happens when they go out to sea? Are there times when they couldn't receive emails for security reasons? This is all new to me. I'm just glad to see someone else that has a son on the USS George Washington. Sorry I can't answer your questions. Maybe we can keep each other posted if we find out anything.
Claudia
Hi Claudia,

Sorry about the late response....haven't been on the site. I haven't heard from my son at all....not since I received a short email on Jan 6. Have no idea what is going on but it is very hard. Birthday just passed and mother's day today and not a word. Let me know if you hear anything. My son is an E3 or E4 not sure which. Happy Mother's Day
Barbara
When my son was in boot camp, I heard from him twice...once when he got there and once when he was getting ready for graduation. Afterwards, I started hearing from him on a regular basis. The "sailorization" process is very hard on the recruits as is, it's also hard on the parents if they hear from them constantly during boot camp.

Not to mention how to make phone calls for 1,200 plus recruits on a weekly basis?
True in my case. I only hear from my son on Christmas and my Birthday. He has been in 3 1/2 yrs. and is currently stationed in Hawaii and hasn't been home in 2 yrs. He is married now and this past June had a son. We NEVER get pictures of the baby (our 1st gradbaby) or updates on how he or the baby are doing. Didn't even receive a card for Christmas. My son & I were very close when he left for the Navy. I know a lot of sailors get married while in the Navy but I just think they are too young and immature to get married at such a young age. I know that I'm probably in the minority, but , had to let you know. :(
Peggy,

I wonder what happens to them. This is so upseting to hear and I am sorry for you. I haven't heard from my son either and my birthday was 5/5 and today is mother's day. So strange. Happy Mother's Day.

Barbara
It's true that while they are at Boot Camp you won't hear much. A phone call or two and a few letters. How ever, once they are in A school you can talk to them pretty much every day. My son was in Pensacola and had his cell phone there so we talked a lot. That's what kept me going. Now, he's in Japan and I still talk to him almost every day. There are phones there for them to use that don't cost us. He also got a phone when he got there so days that he can't get to the Rec Center he can use his cell phone. I'm sure when the ship leaves port it will be different but for now it's great. It's the next best thing since I can't see him every day.
I haven't heard from my son since he took his christmas break in bangkok. It is very hurtful as I know he was in Norfolk for some training....found out from my niece who he contacted on facebook. Does anyone know why an ET3 would go to Norfolk for training. I am beside my self and really worried as we didn't have a fight....and I just hope he isn't in trouble
Wow Karen! You are truly lucky to have your son stationed only 2 hours away!
I cannot believe it has been nearly a year since my son left for BC... those first few weeks were difficult. He wasn't allowed to call often and one day that he actually had 40 minutes to spend on phone calls, his wife and I were out to brunch with our phones on silent when he first tried calling. I am still feeling awful about that. :(
We have been able to stay in touch several times per week since he left BC. He is living in Virginia Beach now, training as a Riverine. I miss him terribly, but it does help that I am able to hear his voice often. I'm not sure how I will do on his first deployment. Then again, I thought I would never survive him being at BC. We are stronger than we realize.
I have been impressed and pleasantly surprised by the Navy and the processes that are in place to keep families updated and informed while the sailors are deployed. We get an regular newsletter via email from the Ombudsman that gives us updates and family news. It also includes information from the CO about the importance of the job they are doing and what they are looking forward to. These newsletters help us stay connected and feel like we are part of the Navy family. I also get information from Navy.mil. which has photos and news stories every day-I am constantly checking for any news about my son's ship and what they are doing. He calls or emails when he's in port-which is not that much different from his college days, except we can't pick up the phone and call him.
Here it is Mother's Day and not a word. How did you get on the mailing list for the Ombudsman

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service