This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
General Info:

The Navy's Advanced Electronics / Computer Field offers extensive training in all aspects of electronics including computer systems, radars, communications systems and weapons fire control systems such as the Navy's advanced missile system, Aegis. The standards for selection for enlistment in the Navy's Advanced Electronics / Computer Field are high. Personnel interested in applying for Advanced Electronics / Computer Field should be seriously interested in pursuing the challenge this highly technical field offers. They must be mature, ready to take on significant responsibility and willing to apply themselves. Enlistees enter as E-1s (seaman recruits). Advancement to paygrade E-2 (seaman apprentice) will be made after successful completion of recruit training. Advancement to E-3 will be made after completion of all advancement-in-rate requirements (including minimum time and course work). Advancement to paygrade E-4 (petty officer third class) will be made after successful completion of initial school training and after all advancement-in-rate requirements (including minimum time and course work) are completed. Advancement to E-3 and E-4 is contingent upon maintaining eligibility in the Advanced Electronics / Computer Field program. Eligible personnel may be paid bonuses at the time of re-enlistment. All bonuses are in addition to Navy salary and allowances for food and housing.

What They Do:

Only two Navy job specialties, called "ratings," are included in the Advanced Electronics / Computer Field: Electronics Technician (ET) and Fire Controlman (FC). The rating in which an Advanced Electronics / Computer Field candidate is trained is determined in the initial phase of the Advanced Electronics Technical Core Course in Great Lakes, Ill. However, eligibility requirements are the same for both ratings in the Advanced Electronics / Computer Field. ETs maintain and repair electronics equipment such as radar, communication and navigation equipment. The ET and FC (AEF) ratings comprise the basis of the ship's Combat Systems department aboard ships and are responsible for maintaining the ship's readiness for combat operations.

Detailed List of Required Duties

ASVAB Score:A

AR+MK+EI+GS=223

Other Requirements:

Must have normal color perception. Must have normal hearing. Security Clearance, (SECRET) Requirement. Must be U.S. citizen

Technical Training Information:

Not Available.

Working Environment:

Jobs performed by ETs and FCs are performed throughout the Navy's fleet of surface ships including aircraft carriers and Aegis cruisers, and at repair activities ashore.

Views: 191

Replies to This Discussion

I have a Gevalia coffeemaker, any chance someone could work on mine? And my blender, and chain saw and weed-eater? Men that are ballet dancers and chefs do not work on cars, around the house, or tractors!
..LOL....
great discription on ET I glad my daughter choose this i just hope that she doesn't have a long wait after BC she still has 33 day till PIR and having a hard time in her DIV they have been doing 2 hr long IT since she arrived. The guys and girl just wont be quiete. so she's just pissed off and fustrated.
Julissa, I think ITs and getting the division to work together is just part of boot camp. I think it is mandatory that the RDCs tell each division that they are the worst in the history of boot camp! LOL I belive they tell them this so when they start turning that corner in a week or so the recruits are impressed with how far they have come. She will be fine!

They don't typically have Holds when they finish their PIRs and move into this program - unless there has been a holiday weekend with the programs being self-paced as long as they have enough computers they usually will get started right away.
yea my fiance went straight from graduation to the A school down the road for ET, and it took him about 4 hrs to check in and go through that whole process and then he had the whole weekend with us after PIR, and he stated yesterday (he graduated friday) so there was no wait. =)
I believe all the recruits that are staying in GL for schooling move over right after PIR and check in, etc. Then they have to go through Indoc, SCC, ATT and then finally A school. All the ET recruits from the 8/29 PIR are still on hold, so I'm thinking your fiance would either join that whole group, or be on hold behind them.
Does this sound about right to anyone else?
They don't always go straight over to the TSC side of GL on the same day as PIR. From what I've been observing lately by various posts, it's about 50/50. Some do, some don't; but it does seem to happen a bit more than it did a year or so ago.
Hey Sharon, the FC program one of the longest training programs in the Navy but as Nancy says below - 18 months for her son is a more accurate time frame but it will depend on which system your son is assigned to. SCC, ATT and A school are the same for all the FCs but C school will be based on the system and the length of can vary from a couple of months to 7 or 8 months.

A sailor coming out of boot camp will start with indoc class that runs about a week long, then they move over to SCC (basic seamanship classes) these are held in the evenings and run about two weeks long. The classes are all about being a sailor and not the FC program. Generally during indoc and SCC, they are housed in a ship and they move to their permanent ship when they start ATT classes. ATT is apprentice technical training and for the FCs, they do half of the modules in ATT, then go to A school and when they graduate from A school - they go back and finish ATT. This is being done now so the technical training is fresh for them when they report to C school.

A lot of this training is self-paced computer modules, they will be given a recommended time frame for each module, some will finish sooner than others.
There are alot of sailors reporting in from boot camp recently for the AE/CF program and it could result in some longer hold periods. Our son was only on hold for three days between indoc and SCC but he could be on a longer hold when he wraps up his training and waiting for his orders for C school. His actual training will last seven months at Great Lakes. We do not know anything about his C school as of yet.
I just bumped up the discussion on FC Job Description. The answer is in that thread. But no, it's not that long. My son had one of the longest c-school, wiht time on hold after A-school, and his total training time, including boot camp was about 18 months.

Here's the link: http://www.navyformoms.com/group/fcsfirecontrol/forum/topic/show?id...
Hey everyone I am now a mom of a new sailor Moet just PIR on 10/10 and she's now on her way to A school. It is so great to be able to call her at any time. I see that of your sailor move a lot during school I would like to know why??????????
Hey Julissa, congrats to your daughter! Typically when they move over to the "other side" they move into a ship and stay there during Indoc and SCC classes (basic seamanship) the SCC classes are held in the evening and when she completes SCC, she will have orders for the ATT program - apprentice technical training. Generally the day they start ATT, they move to another ship and stay their for the duration of ATT and A school. I would try to tell you how many weeks she would be in the first ship but from what we are hearing there are alot of sailors entering into AE/CF program right now so there's talks/rumors of hold, etc. But to answer your original question - she should live in two different ships during her time as a sailor at GL. Let us know if you have questions, glad you are finally joining us!
My son is in GL and PIR'd on 9/26. He still hasn't started A school is doing the online classes. He says he may not start A school until February. Doesn't that seem really long from the time of PIR?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service