This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Do you think it's worth it to travel over 1.000 miles to attend PIR if your new sailor is grad and go?

We've decided that *if* our son is grad and go we will not make the trip. An hour or two visit is not worth two (airline) to six (train) days' travel (round-trip) plus hotel, food, etc. We'll save the money for a longer visit to A-school or his first duty station and buy a DVD of the PIR.

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, but the DVD does not nearly give you the emotion and excitement of PIR that being there does!
Everyone's finances are different (especially now days) - but to me - well worth every dime!

I am not rich (single mom and a high school teacher) - but I went to a friend's sons PIR after mine - just because I enjoyed the experience so much!! Of course, I had someone to "share" car rental and hotel with this time.

Also, grad and go - could mean that he is moving across the street and gets liberty the entire weekend!!
My son will be going to Pensacola (Corry Station) for his A school, so grad and go for him would mean getting on a plane to Florida.

It's not worth $2500 (for our family of four) to make the trip for anything less than a full weekend with him. Unless there's a magic job around the corner, that's more than we make in a month.
Arwen - you might want to find out if your son is Grad and Go (as in GO IMMEDIATELY to the airport) or Grad and Go (as in GO IN A FEW DAYS to the airport). I've heard of both situations occurring. My son was not Grad and Go and we were able to have Fri and Sat with him before he (and we) flew out on Sunday am. Was it worth it? Absolutely. Am I still paying for it? Yes - and that was almost 14 months ago... But I certainly understand that everyone's situation is different and I respect your decision.
Guess what, my son was a GRAD & GO and ended up staying in Chicago...Welcome to the military where anything can change in a split second. My son ended up staying with us fr the w/e. Even if he was still a Grad & Go we were planning on going to the airport where most times they ssit there for hours. Remember when they first go to A school they are nothings again, they starty over. no leave time. I wanted to see my son before more months went by. You can plan a trip to A school not knowing if they are going to chg his shift or make him be on duty.

I understand $ is tight for ALL OF US, I am a single mom so I know this first hand but I wouldn't have missed the PIR for the world. Nothing beats the excitment & emotion of seeing your Sailor march thru those hanger doors in full uniform, the PRIDE, THE GLORY, the unknown feeling that just comes over you is none to one I ever had.

The PROUD MOM of a UNITED STATES SAILOR
My son told me on Saturday that as of right now (but we all know that it could change) they are no longer going to have Grad and Go (at least for a while). He said they said something about parents spent to much money to come up and then not have anytime to spend with their loved ones. So hopefulyy this info is correct and everyone can at least enjoy their "Sailors" PIR
Our son was scheduled to be a grad and go. After they called liberty at the graduation he informed us that he didn't have to leave until the next morning. We were so grateful that we had the whole day to spend with him. I was prepared for up to 2 hours that he would have and then he would leave. All seven of us had planned on sitting at the airport with him....but we ended up with the whole day. I agree with Brenda, being there in person gives you chills. We video taped the whole thing and watched it when returned home. It still gave my husband and I chills. I am actually considering on gong to his graduation from A school. I would suggest that if you can afford even one person to go and video it....don't miss it for the world. It is a once in a lifetime experience. Best wishes..............
My son will be graduating around the Christmas/New Years Holidays. We still have 2 children at home and we have decided that our Christmas presents to each other would be the trip to Great Lakes/Chicago. They said the best present would be to see their brother. I am just hoping the oldest daughter has her baby by then. She is due in January but doctors will be taking the baby sometime in December.
It is not really worth it to the parents to go, but believe me, the kids LOVE us showing up.
They feel like they lost their security blankets and NEED Mom or Dad there for moral support.
When I graduated from boot camp, it meant the world to me to see my parents there! Of course it's a decision you need to make with your family.
My husband and I are going to make the trip whether our son is Grad n Go or not. It wouldn't matter if it was 2000 miles. We are not garaunteed the next moment, so I just don't want to take that chance.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service