This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Graduation Info for Lackland AFB - Navy MA graduation; Places to stay, see or avoid!

Anyone who has been or has knowledge of San Antonio/Lackland AFB, please share your info!

Views: 7842

Replies to This Discussion

Is there a schedule time of events for graduation? Like Boot

mynavyguy - Graduation from A-School isn't as big of a "hoopla" as graduation from Boot - it is VERY informal in comparison.  There are no programs or greeters at the door and the dress is from casual to dressy.  The whole thing takes less than an hour - and that includes the Sailors walking across the platform to receive their certificate and the "pinning of the badges," as well.  (And don't forget - Your Sailor can choose who pins the badge on them).

Liberty or Leave will depend on what phase your Sailor has achieved and whether or not they are scheduled to be on duty - they may have watch or patrol, so you'll need to check with them to make sure of their schedule.  (If they're not scheduled to be on duty, you may be able to spend time with them ON base during their Liberty if they haven't phased up)

Hope that helped and didn't confuse you more!  ;)

Here is the scoop on MA graduation at Lackland.....

Stay in an area half way between the airport and the base. It is called Ingram Park area. Most anything there would be better than those closer to the base.. Don't stay at hotels near the base. On the base would be great, but hard to get a reservation. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, near the hotels near the base....dangerous area, taxis took forever, no stores or restaurants. You can't walk anywhere. I spent a fortune on taxis. There is a Harley Davidson store in Ingram Park with several hotels and restaurants within walking distance. I would choose one of those hotels. I would rent a car next time....It was $50 everytime I got in a cab.

Ok, enough of the bad issues. You will want to go to the visitor center at the Military Rd. gate on the LEFT. You and your taxi driver will need day passes. You will enter the base on the RIGHT gate of Military Rd. Once on base, turn right for 1/2 mile. The building name is Carter Hall....The outside of the building says Security Forces Academy (or something like that). Enter the building and immediatly to the left is a door to theatre type room. This is where the ceremony is held. It was about 45 degrees in there...dress warm. It was a lovely ceremony and lasted about 45 minutes. They held it up waiting for last minute families to arrive. Photos are encouraged and the staff was very friendly.

I did name your own price on Priceline and selected a three star hotel in the river walk area and entered $60 and the hotel Indigo accepted my offer. It is on the river and beautiful. The staff is fantastic. This hotel is $150 per night, but because of priceline, I got it for $60, after my transaction was complete, I received an offer from Priceline on a car. The full size option was $17 per day. Excellent deal and only 25 minutes from the base. Close enough and far enough. You must do the river walk. For BBQ, county line was amazing.
Am in town this week to attend my son's K9 Handlers graduation since we may not see him for another year & a half. We chose to stay at the Best Western just a short hop (1 mile) from the base. We're very pleased with our choice. It's relatively new, nice rooms, very clean, attentive staff, "free" breakfast (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, gravy, biscuits, oatmeal, fruits, yogurts, waffles, cereals, great coffee, teas, muffins, toast, eng. muffins), laundry facility, bar (wed - sat) & a lovely lobby in which to lounge, read or eat breakfast. Room has king bed, walk in shower (HOT water), desk, fridge, microwave, bench, club chair with ottoman. Lots of plugs, lights, ironing board w/iron. Recommend highly.

A School is 7 weeks, but that is after the Sailor classes up. Some class up right away and some may be there a week or two before classing up--seldom more than two weeks. Check out the other discussions, especially Break down week by week, for more information. As far as Independence Day, they will be off on the 4th, but I don't believe that they will be off other weekdays that week. Your Sailor will know his schedule once he arrives at Lackland.

I stayed at LaQuinta Inn, which is located right across from the base on Military Drive. I booked through Priceline and they accepted my bid for $45 a night for double occupancy, which brought the total cost to just under $60 for the night. I don't know that I would book through Priceline again because you don't know which hotel in the area will accept the bid, but it worked out for me this time. My Sailor was at the Gateway Inn and checked out Thursday night and stayed with me since my room had 2 double beds. This allowed us to leave more quickly after his C School graduation since we just had to go to one hotel to get things and he was also with me so I didn't have to be concerned about finding the right place.

The room was roomy and comfortable, although the bathroom was a bit small. The only thing I did not like is that when I arrived, I was told there was no room and was offered a room at another LaQuinta Inn location down the road. The clerk indicated the night would be free if I took that. As I was considering it, a manager came in and indicated that 2 rooms would soon be available if I wanted to wait. In the meantime, another couple came in and the poor wife almost had a nervous breakdown right there when she was told there was no room for the night due to some people deciding to stay over another night. I hugged her and explained to her that I was in the same situation, but there might be 2 rooms coming available if she would just wait even though the clerk was offering her the room at the other location. The manager came back and indicated that both rooms were ready and we were checked in. The poor Air Force family member was still almost in tears and very much upset about being told there was not a room when she had booked weeks ago. I don't understand why the clerk told that couple there was no room instead of telling them there would be a short delay. Anyway, it all worked out and I hugged her again and wished her, her family, and her Airman well.

The room was not 100% clean due to the rush, but it was serviceable and worked for the night. They do offer complimentary breakfast, but my Sailor wanted to eat at Subway on base instead, so I don't know how good the breakfast at LaQuinta Inn would have been.

We went and got my base pass Thursday evening, which helped make things faster for getting on base Friday.

C School graduation, like A School graduation, is very short. The graduation and my Sailor's frocking took just over 30 minutes total. The Sailors had to pick up their orders and turn in their hotel receipts afterward, but we were leaving within 15 minutes following the ceremony.

Popular places in the area are the Riverwalk, SeaWorld, San Antonio Zoo, and the Alamo.  Many Saiors are ready to leave by the time graduation comes around, so if you want to see any of those, you may wish to go down before graduation.

Hello, My daughter PIR on October 5 and is now in San Antonio her 1st day starts today and graduation is Nov 30. I wasn’t planning on attending graduation there because we spent so much going to Chicago but I hate to miss it. I noticed a few people saying there were hotels on base? Do you happen to know what the name of the hotels are?

i have a question for someone. after graduation what do the sailors do? can they come back home with us or do they stay down in texas a little longer. i also heard a lot of people get set back. is this true?

If your Sailor has his orders (and they usually do), he most likely will have opted to take leave between "A" School and his first duty station and he can leave with you after graduation.  It's rarely more than one or two out of each class that gets set back and sometimes not even that many.

My SA will be graduating on 3/8/13. I'm trying to arrange my hotel room and was hoping to stay on base, but called there last night and they didn't have any rooms available that weekend. They said to check back with them. I'm afraid to cut it that close by waiting. Does anyone know what my chances could be by waiting? I know they have boot camp graduations every Friday also, so I'm guessing that's where most of those families are staying. The prices are just so much better on base than off.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service