This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Hi, I am a Seal wannabe mom. Looking for other moms that are dreading Pre buds and then the big move to California for Buds after graduation.

Views: 995

Replies to This Discussion

My boyfriend just graduated from div 823 and i got a call from him last night. It sounds like they have a lot of freedom and are really enjoying. He said he still isnt sure if he can come home for thanksgiving.
Well, things might just get a little interesting for your guys. Usually Pre Buds lasts an average of 8 weeks. No winter HW (plus the holidays) will probably mean a longer time in GL, but it all depends. We've had Moms whose Sailors have gone through in 5 weeks, and others whose Sailors were in GL for 5 months, and everything in between!

Prior to being placed in a BUDS class, (or, for Reg Navy Sailors, any A school training) they have to go through Navy INDOC first. They will have to learn basic Navy Sailor stuff. Lots of time is also spent on financial classes, learning how to manage your money and avoid the problems and pitfalls that are common to new Sailors experiencing a steady paycheck for the first time and living on a base. :)
So, once that's done and everything has settled out from the Sailors from the 800 DIVs before you being moved in and placed into the BUD/S Class(es), and the Fleet guys taking their places (POs and returning Fleet get priority), then they will start to officially assign your guys. Even when you have been told you will be part of one BUD/S Class by your RDCs or others, there's still a chance for that to change. It's also entirely possibly that some of your Sailors may end up in one Class, while others have to wait to become part of the next one. They will also probably experiance changing barracks/rooms and/or getting new roomies at least once, so bono's mom, tell your Sailor to enjoy that nice location while he can. Maybe he'll stay though.

My son changed rooms/addresses twice. Plus, we thought he'd be in one Class, but the process took longer than we anticipated, so he was slated to go into the next Class grouping, but then, it looked like he was going to be delayed (paperwork issue) and miss being with his buddies, having to wait a potentially long time for the next Class! In the end, there was a push and he ended up in the middle Class after all! Sadly, we've seen some of those buddies DOR (Drop on Request) since, or be med rolled to the Class behind them (the one he thought he'd have to wait for) so there is no guarantee you'll stay with your buddies throughout all the training to come. Roll backs for med or performance reasons are pretty common actually, especially during First Phase at BUDS. Apparently, very few finish SQT with the BUDS Class they start with.

Anyways, yes they will take PFTs during Pre Buds, periodically having to show improvements in their scores, and yes, they will be "ranked" as they go. The requirements get harder as they go, (through BUDS P1 too) faster run and swim times, more pullups etc. Those with higher physical test scores will get placed in the Alpha or Bravo Groups and test out/be sent to CA first IF there is a need to split the Class up.

Sometimes the Class is just too big to send all at once to Coronado. How many DOR during Pre Buds or are added from the Fleet, or due to roll backs, makes a difference, as does how many DOR from the previous Class (or not) in BUD/S training. They can only move so much of the Class forward-and house them-in CA, so if enough DORs don't happen during BUD/S INDOC and/or the rest of First Phase in Coronado, then they have to hold some for the next Class. Then, there is a trickle effect back to Pre Buds in GL. I know, it's confusing, sometimes the way the Navy works just makes no sense to us!

For example, some of last years Sailors slated for Class 2 8 1 were held, meaning that some of those who thought they were going to be part of Class 2 8 2, got "bumped" and actually ended up being part of 2 8 3! Even had to change the name of the N4Ms BUD/S Class Group they'd formed onsite! Pre Buds was designed to help there be more Sailors who are better prepared and can then successfully make it through the whole SEALs training process, but as you can see, sometimes a program's successful outcome can cause other logistical problems in the interim!

Sorry Ladybug, really long answer to your short question! LOL Yep, it can be different, for sure.
Nice to have some definite info Brie. Kind of what I was suspecting based on some things the Moms from that other Class were telling me. Guess your guys will be seeing some time in the GL snow for sure! :)

One tip all...when you post BUDS Class numbers, ESPECIALLY on a PUBLIC Group forum like this or the Pre Buds or SEALS moms Groups, on your personal pages or in any other discussions besides the one on your (future) Private Class Group, then please do so by putting a space between each number, as I did in my post above. This makes it very difficult for someone to pop up your comment if they are surfing (googling) the web for info on the Class. You don't want to leave bread crumbs of (detailed) info lying around. It's really best not to post what Class your son is in, in case one of their instructors is checking the site. (They do, especially once they're in CA) You don't want anything you innocently post to be the reason your Sailor gets extra IT or in trouble! If they (Instructors, Proctors, bad people etc) can't connect the dots, your Sailor are safer and so are you. :-) Just another cautionary step to learn in this strange new world of Spec Ops. A SEAL Mom shared that with me and I'm passing it on to all of you.

Second, new members to this discussion, please be sure you have familiarized yourself completely with OPSEC guidelines, and rules for N4Ms loved ones with Spec Ops (Special Warfare Community) Sailors. Also, be sure you have made your personal page only visible to N4Ms members at the least (the default allows anyone on the WWWeb to see what is there) or preferably, private, visible to your accepted N4Ms friends only. Do make requests of anyone whose Son/BF/Hubby is going to be in the same BUDS Class as yours, so that you can PM them and be included in future Group PMs.

Finally, I know the longer members here are aware already, but again, a reminder to all to PLEASE not post any training details like the number of Sailors in your Class or anothers, how many have DOR'd (or who, unless its your own) or how many left for CA, or remain in GL. No specific dates of when they will leave or arrive, or Class up/begin etc. Not even public posts about their overall Class morale. If there are problems, or someone is struggling, save that discussion, and these other topics, for your PMs and (near future) Private Buds Class Group. Of course, you can post that they are excited to get underway! :)
Angie--So grateful for the practical info you give us! I would love to find out who the Mom is of the sailor my son is rooming with-- but I don't want to put his name or nick name out here! Anyway, I love the comments and stories, the info and help you ALL give--
Angie, thank you for taking all the time to keep up informed.
thanks for all the great information!
I have heard that you can send snacks--my son said they had so many stores on base that there wasn't anything he really wanted. I just hope he gets his new phone this weekend!!
My son bought himself some what u called overpriced sunglasses. You know for all that sun they'll be. having...lol. Cali boy. He said they went to T J max and it was Luke a maze....hard to find the way out...
LOL, LOL..I meant like a maze. I sent that from my phone and it will spell words for me. Supposed to be a Smartphone, but it isn't that smart and neither am I. I move too fast and sometimes don't notice that it's picked up the wrong word. You are right on MaKetel1! I think what he was trying to say it that it had a bunch of great things to buy and it sucks you in and then you feel like you are walking through a maze, just to get out. I told him to slow down on the buying.
Anyone know anything about internet in their room? My son saidid it would be $40 s month per guy in his room. That seems really high. I think that was with Verizon. The also tried to sell him what I think was some sort of usb for internet access and that would have only been $35 month. Just wondering if any if your sailors have talked about how the can get internet access for their laptop.
My son's cell doesn't have internet, but I am thinking of recommending that he gets one. Right now he's on our plan and he's ready for his own plan. His phone is older as well, so maybe that would be best! Much cheaper too :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service