This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Navy Lodge Norfolk information with rates, photos:  http://navyformoms.com/group/norfolksailorsfamilyfriends/forum/topi...

Navy Lodge Norfolk is close to Naval Station Norfolk's Gate 5, and offers amenities such as kitchenettes and free continental breakfast.  Your sailor needs to check you in.  That link has info about other nearby hotels, too.  

Official visitor tours of Naval Station Norfolk: This Naval Station Norfolk Visitor Information page has tour info, phone numbers and more links.  The tour is fascinating and free for active military!  "The 45-minute tour is conducted by Naval personnel. Visitors will have an opportunity to see aircraft carriers, destroyers, frigates, amphibious assault ships and one of the busiest airfields in the country.  The tour also features historic homes from the 1907 Jamestown Exposition.  The cost is $10 for adults and $5.00 for children 3-11 and senior citizens over the age of 60. CASH ONLY!  Active duty military free. Picture ID is required for all adults."  http://cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrma/installations/ns_norfolk/about/i...

Hampton Roads Events Calendar:  http://hrscene.com

Hampton Roads Visitors Guide, events, news:  http://hamptonroads.com/visitors

Coastal Virginia Magazine has things to do, restaurants, "best of's," events, etc:  http://www.coastalvirginiamag.com

20 of Norfolk's top restaurants:  http://hrscene.com/your-guide-to-norfolk-restaurant-week/

Views: 1759

Replies to This Discussion

This is great! Thank you so much!!!

I'll add to it when I get back from my first visit to the area at the end of the month. :)

Here's a listing of restaurants in Portsmouth:  Portsmouth Dining 

From the ferry landing on High Street, you can walk to any restaurant on High St up to street address "800."

By the way, the ferry from Norfolk Waterside makes two stops:  one at the High Street dock, and the other at the Renaissance Hotel.  It's about a one minute ride between those two stops  :-)

The Portsmouth tourism link:  http://www.visitportsva.com  

My favorite restaurants there are Still, which has phenomenal tapas and a great wine list, and The Deck, which is in the marina just a few steps north of the Renaissance and has an incredible view of the Norfolk waterfront and skyline.  

Available through MWR - The Cottages on the Coast at Oceana/Dam Creek.  Great beach!  https://www.facebook.com/notes/navy-ffr/discover-dam-necks-cottages...

Marcy - this is terrific!  Now that it has resurfaced once again - I hope folks will continue to add their comments.  I am seriously looking into the cottages. Thank you!

Good article from the Washington Post about visiting Portsmouth!  It's so easy, you can drive from Norfolk or (more fun) take the quick paddlewheel ferry from Norfolk's Waterside (by Nauticus) across the Elizabeth River over to Olde Towne, only $1.50 each way!  

Article:  "Everything's shipshape in Portsmouth" Washington Post

Nice article about visiting Norfolk from the NY Daily News on 5/5/2014:
""Looking for a great road-trip this spring? Perhaps a little farther south than the Washington Mall cherry-blossoms? Then beautiful Norfolk, Va., is the perfect locale to spend a few days, or better yet an entire week."
Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/road-trip-norfolk-va-article-...

Some of the places to eat that I like when visiting - In Norfolk, Charlie's American Cafe is a classic hole in the wall for breakfast and lunch, Tom Hanks even ate there while they were filming "Captain Phillips."  Press 626 is a cool cafe and wine bar in an old house.  Fair Grounds for coffee, also in an old house.  Doumar's Drive In for a barbecue sandwich and a milkshake -  a landmark that's been there forever, and they come to the car with your tray!  :)  On the Portsmouth side, Still is amazing for tapas and cocktails, tucked away and down a few steps like a speakeasy :)

Good tidbit from my friend Britt in our corpsman group - "I volunteer at the USO at Norfolk International Airport, we usually recommend service members to use James River Taxi. They usually give them the best rates and have base access."  

2015 Naval Station Norfolk tour schedule and address:  http://www.visitnorfolktoday.com/tour-norfolk-naval-base

Naval Station Norfolk in association with Tidewater Tours Inc. present the naval bus tour schedule:

JAN 1 - MAR 13
One tour daily, except Mondays, unless Holiday. Tour will depart at 1:30pm

MAR 14 - MAY 22
Four tours daily: Tours will depart at 11:00am; 12 noon; 1:00pm and 2:00pm.

MAY 23 - SEP 4

SEP 5 - OCT 31

NOV 1 - DEC 31
One tour daily, except Mondays, unless Holiday; Tour will depart at 1:30pm.

The 45-minute tour is conducted by Naval personnel. Visitors will have an opportunity to see aircraft carriers, destroyers, frigates, amphibious assault ships and one of the busiest airfields in the country. The tour also features historic homes from the 1907 Jamestown Exposition. The cost is $10 for adults and $5.00 for children 3-11 and senior citizens over the age of 60. A picture ID is required for all adults.

Bus tours depart from the Naval Tour and Information Center located at 9079 Hampton Blvd. Norfolk, Virginia 23505, next to gate 5.

Group tours (chartered buses) can be arranged in advance by calling Naval Tour and Information Center at (757) 444-0948. For general information (ticket information, tour times, bus schedule, etc.) call, (757) 444-7955. The Naval Tour and Information Center will be closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.

bump

bump

Some of the things we have done on our three trips out to see our sailor -  Fall 2019, Fall 2021, July 2022

Colonial Williamsburg | The World's Largest Living History Museum

Our kids rode the shuttle to Virginia Theme Park & Water Park | Busch Gardens Williamsburg - They just went to the Theme Park; we have actually done this a couple of times. Active-duty military receive one free day admission per year & possibly a discount on parking. I think the 2nd time when my DIL was buying tickets online, she was also able to get discount tickets for the rest of us. - Be sure to double check. 

Fort MonroeFort Monroe National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov) 

Fort Monroe Authority | Fort Monroe, VA  We visited the Casemate Museum - Casemate Museum | Fort Monroe and the beach - Do a Google search for Fort Monroe Beach to bring up a variety of sites & images. 

General Douglas MacArthur Memorial - MacArthur Memorial, VA - Official Website | Official Website - FYI, there are actually 2 different display areas. The one where his grave is located took us about 5 hours for my youngest son and I to go through completely and read everything. Unknown to us, on the same grounds, there is another display, that rotates information more frequently and was smaller, likely more child friendly. I think it was located in the same building as the bookstore. So, just ask the docents as they did not really offer this information to us. 

Also, they will stamp your parking from the garage across the street for a discount. We went on a Saturday and the mall that is located there next to the parking garage was not very busy. 

Downtown Norfolk - We were able to visit during July 4th and enjoyed the fireworks downtown. We parked in that same parking garage that we had on Saturday and walked. There are a lot of historical markers around the sidewalks and in the window fronts. - Homepage - VisitNorfolk  - there are lots of free things to do and others to pay for. I believe this was mentioned above but we walked by and saw the battleship outside. - Home - Nauticus & The Battleship Wisconsin      Art Museum -  The Chrysler Museum of Art | Free Art Museum & Glass Art Studio...

There is evidently and M.C. Escher exhibition that I did not realize when we were there, available until about the 28th of Aug 2022. 

Fort Norfolk (virginia.org)   

Dining - we tend to visit friends a lot, or eat at our sailors' apartment, so I can only recommend - Grace O'Malley's – Irish Pub & Restaurant (irishpubnorfolk.com) - My husband and I had a really nice meal and found a parking spot a couple of blocks over, after the parking meter times. We ate here and then walked down to the waterfront and enjoyed ourselves while our kids were at the water park.  Other restaurants of interest near by this one are - Norfolk, VA - Jack Brown's Beer and Burger Joint (jackbrownsjoint.com) and Menu (hknorfolk.com)   Again - do a Google search eating, lots of interesting looking places. 

The Glass Light Hotel and Gallery was enjoyable to walk by and see the large glass sculptures. Marriott Find & Reserve - Choose Dates, Rooms & Rates

Some of the things we have done with our sailor, as well as going to a movie, and also a water park, but I am not sure if it is Ocean Breeze or which one - there are several. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service