This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

I really think this site is a great resource, but I don't think I'm fitting in well. My son left for BC yesterday and we had know since November he was. I'm not heartbroke, I'm not crying at the slightest thing, not sleeping with his pillow/shirt/stuffed animal, etc.

Not saying it wasn't hard to walk away. I cried. I worry. I'm concerned & hoping things go well, but also knowing he's going to have hard times. This is his journey though, not mine. I'm here to be strong for him & support him.

I guess seeing everyone's post make me wonder if I'm heartless. I would love to comment on posts, but I think my posts won't really feed into the tears & loneliness.....

Any others out there like me just looking for information & friends that are on the same page I am?

Views: 19701

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was so happy to find this post and responses, while I have been a little off since my son left on Thursday I was excited and proud of him, but not sad and teary eyed. This has been his path since he was 12 and while his stepdad and I steered him towards college, after a year and a half he came home one day after visitng a recruiter and said he signed up and was more excited about his future than I had ever seen him. I too signed up for this site after finding so much of the information I was looking for and to make friends. Thanks 29junkie for your courage and candor!

I am the same way- you are not alone in that. To me, this is something my son really needs to grow and use his purpose. I raised him to be independent and this to me is the beginning of a happy healthy career so I have no extended tears as well. Of course I miss him but I am much more elated to have him on his career path and am anxious to watch him become an independent adult!!

Your post makes me feel better too =)

Katrina

You're not the only one. Funny cause I thought there was something wrong with me too. Don't get me wrong I do miss him as I do my other two.
I know this is an old post had to reply.
Thanks for starting thread :)
Cindy

My son is in bc and is 26 years old. He has been off to college for a couple degrees and life just didn't pan out the way he'd liked. This was an opportunity for him to see the world and discover more potential in himself than he was getting around home. Did i cry, yeah, a little, but i cry at commercials, so i can't gauge my engagement off that. I'm a military brat, so the whole concept of bootcamp and shipping off wasn't foreign to me at all, i actually enjoyed the structure that lifestyle provided, even if i had to make new friends every couple years ;-)

I think every mom has her own relationship with her military loved-one that works for her!

Canalzone6, my son was 27 when he joined the Navy.  Best thing he ever did for himself.  He has been in over ten years now so it is a career.

Your name intrigues me.  I left Samuel Clemens High School in Schertz, TX in my senior year of high school and graduated from Balboa HS, Canal Zone.  I was an Air Force brat.  Dad retired there and taught school for 16 years.  Little brother considers himself a Zonian since he was six when we moved there.     

My dad got orders for the cz in 1965. We lived in ft. Clayton and then all around the pacific side.

I graduated in '75. My dad retired then taught at balboa high until he retired in late '82.

I went back in '99 for the closing ceremony of ol' BHS!

What years were you there?

CZ6, sent friend request.  My parents are deceased but I am betting our fathers either knew each other or knew of each other.  You are younger than me but older than my little brother so our paths wouldn't have crossed.

You are not heartless I can assure you! I can completely relate. We raised boys to be men, we didn't ship them off to Summer camp, this is the Navy!

My son left 11/20/13 and PIR'd 1/18/14. I cried a little when we dropped him off for the last time and I have hard a few OMG, when am I going to hear from him moments but nothing crazy. I think part of mine was I had just lost my sister on 10/17/13, so it was more of I am either losing everyone that I love or the ones I love are moving on to their own chapters. I have since decided to start my very own chapter and sell my house and move to Ft Myers Fl. Sometimes I read others post and I want to comment but I am afraid my words with be harsh or inconsiderate of ones feelings. I am with you though, this is their journey and we are only along for the ride, so enjoy!!

My youngest son went to bootcamp on 12-12-12. I work for a school district, and decided the following summer to move from WA to CA. Like you, I am starting my own chapter. Next summer I may start another one. My cats are being tolerant. We all have our ways of coping. No strategy is wrong if it gets you through the day. Through the week is even better. I keep myself very busy. I have lots of pictures and Navy stuff around because it makes me smile to look at them. I have two kids in the Navy and am very proud of them.

That is wonderful. I can definitely relate. I wish I didn't have to sell my home, I would already be gone. Its only been on the market for a month and I am being impatient, I need/want it to sell NOW! Sometimes its hard because everything is packed, pictures and all. So, I get on fb and look at my son. Just knowing he is safe, doing what he wants and becoming a great young man. He is my only one, so I am sure figuring out what I want to do. Its about me, now. Although, I will always be mom first. I am sending you a friend request.

Hey sister, You are NOT heartless and YOU are NOT alone.  You are a MOM and a NAVY mom so you BELONG here.  I am like you, I love and miss my son BUT I am loving this journey he is on.  I LOVE watching him find his way.  Do I miss him, everyday BUT  I raised him to go out in the world not be here to hold my hand.  Maybe we can start a "I love my child but my world didn't stop when he/she joined the military."  Now I am crying a lot BUT that is because of my open heart surgery, something about the heart/lung machine, they don't know why.  Mine is through BC and on his way and I am so EXCITED for him!!  Message me and I will give ya my FB name to find me, but you don't need to leave.    

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service