This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

HI moms, I am new to the NAVY for moms.  I wish I had used this sooner!  Any suggestions on where my sailor can look for housing for prototype?  He will be staying in South Carolina thank goodness, instead of NY.

Thanks!

Views: 1815

Replies to This Discussion

bump

Some recent information from my son  regarding moving off NNPTC after Power School.

He found a roommate and they are getting an apartment and then adding another roommate to help with the expenses as well, so that issue is resolved.

Some things he needed to know for the application were his previous work dates and his employer's phone number for reference. Make sure they have this info before they are calling you in an urgent mode and you are not able to search for it for them. We did just do MM/YY and that sufficed. Thankfully, I had his employer's number in my cell phone still.

They were able to apply and secure housing, but they are not to actually move in until after they know they have passed Power School Comps which is at muster the Wednesday after their Tuesday tests. And then I believe they have to be moved in before they report for Prototype ( at least in GC).  So despite having a 10 day leave there isn't a lot of move in time. 

This may be different for others but is the info my son had to share with me for their upcoming PS graduation next week.

bump

Bump

I have a question should finance rent an apartment closed by , l know  son has liberty on weekends only.It will be two years of schooling.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Marie,

I see that Kristenz12 replied and she can probably help you a lot. With regard to your question in main group chat, I am not sure how quickly your son can move to an apartment once he gets to GC, if he and his fiancée are not married. If you look at my discussion A School, a Sailor's perspective, it will explain more about their liberty and time involvement.

Also, it would be my assumption that as long as your son is a bachelor he will have to live in the BEQ's on site through at least A school and Power school. They don't move off site until Prototype. When they are living in the BEQ's their BAH pay goes toward that housing and to pay for the food they eat in the galley. So, as far as financial planning your son would need to help pay for an apartment out of his other pay until they were married and he moved off site. - At least that is what knowledge I have. 

Marie - Your son's fiancee can rent an apartment nearby if she wants and you are right - he won't be able to stay there during the week.  When are they planning on getting married?  Once they do marry they can live together and he will collect BAH.  They could get base housing (if available) or they could live off base.  Will she have a job to pay rent for an apartment until they marry?  They might want to consider her staying where she is at currently until they marry and then moving - maybe should could save some money that way. 

We lived at Coventry Green Apartments during school. The rent is lower than BAH so we were able to pocket some money. If you are looking for high end living, check out The Passage in Summerville. Not too far from base and beautiful apartments. We just moved from Goose Creek to Norfolk, but feel free to message me with any questions. (I am a spouse, not a mom, but have tons of information from living in Goose Creek)

bump

Kind of wondering if our kids make enough to pay for housing?? 

MamaKatie - did you see my note in the main Nuke Mom comments yesterday?  I was having trouble posting on here. 

After your sailor leaves PS and the BEQ's at NNPTC, he should start receiving his BHA (Basic Housing Allowance) - I think I got that correct. The amount varies depending on where they are stationed at, but it should be enough to cover housing costs and then I think they have their food allowance as well. Currently, all of this is actually being paid to the housing and galley at NNPTC. 

If your sailor is frugal he can save extra money from what he is given, especially if he shares an apartment with other sailors. 

I know this has been asked, where can sailor go for used furniture in Goose Creek. What was the site for sailor to exchange stuff when they get orders? 

Why do they expect these kids to go out and spend all this money to "furnish a place for possible" year" and waste it. 

Just venting.... 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service