This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

I have been reading through the various discussions and was somewhat surprised by the sorrow in many of the mom's postings.  My daughter just finished basic and is now at A-school in San Antonio.  She signed up as a "Master of Arms".  I did not realize until I researched around just how dangerous of a job that could be and that she could get sent over to Afghanistan, or Iraq.  Although that does concern me, I find that I am not only a proud Navy mom, but very excited for my daughter.  She is having a great time, is pleased with her decision to join, and is looking forward to being shipped off someplace.  Her dream location would be Japan - -she's dreamed of not only going to Japan -- but LIViNG there -- since she was very young.  She's always been fascinated with the Japanese culture.  So I find myself not saddened by the "loss" of my daughter to the Navy, but excited for the many potential opportunties that will be offered to her as she begins her journey. And I do realize some of those same opportunities could be very dangerous....

And for now, I still get to talk to her whenever I want and can visit her soon.  Maybe down the road I will not be so excited, but for now, I am really excited for her and proud of her too.

Views: 2820

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello my daughter is just beginning her journey into the Navy. She has to take her ASVAB but she is getting very excited about enlisting. I would like to hear more about boot camp from other Moms and their journeys with their children. What is it like? How long does it last? What do the expect the recruits to know already prior to bootcamp? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to responses and sharing with others through our journeys.
I have twins that are also is starting their journey in the Navy. My daughter leaves for BC in July - Then she is off to the rescue swimmer program in Penscola, FL. My son leaves for BC in Dec and then off to Missouri to be a Seabee. I am sooooo excited for them to start this adventure. I will be sad when they are gone but also excited that they are going to see and experience so many new and wonderful things that they may not have experienced if they stayed home in our very!! small town. I am proud of them and know that the Navy is getting great assets and a wonderful people in them. I would also love to here any advice your daughterand you may have, especially from a women's perspective. Good luck to you both and your daughters.
It takes a little while to get to proud, It did for me . Today marks James' 1st week in bootamp. (Bleaming proud mom.) I cried before he left not since. I think Britmom everyone processes in their own time. Congratuations to your daughter I too hope to be posting similar posts after PIR. Thanks Navy Moms. Judi
I'm so proud mine just left for BC..however all I've done is cry..wish I could be more like you :)
Proudmomnavy: you will find this ride a very up and down one. It holds alot of wonderful things for your daughter for sure. You can also find many groups here that will be enormous help for you, probably ones for "DEPPERS, in but not yet", boot camp moms, even ones for each state, and practically anything you could imagine. Just type a key word into the search box at the very top right and go have fun! As for Bootcamp, generally it is 8-9 weeks long. It can vary due to holiday schedules, recruits passing physical/classroom tests, Battlestations (toward very end of BC ((bootcamp)) and when they are given the rights to being a 'sailor') and so on. One thing I do suggest highly, knowing the chain of command, and as much naval history that she may get. She probably can get a good handle on much of this from her recuiters. Nearly all of them are there to help and assist. I sent my twin boys in 2 years ago. Mind you, they prepared for it since they were 7, worked with recuiters for a year, and a SEAL motivator a year. They loved boot camp, said it was hard, and yet like 'camp'. They respected and admired the RDC's. You will see such a huge difference in your daughter/son from when they leave, but it is a difference that will make you prouder than your imagination can even dream up. They mature in such a wonderful way.
Navytwins mom, yes, you will be sad. You will have good and bad days. But much like Brittsmom2010, I was not that saddened as I see some write. Not that I didnt miss my two, and it was a double whammy all at one time for me, but because I knew this was their dream. They couldnt live mine, but need to go after their own. They are getting great educations, a fantastic traveling and seeing the world experience that most of us will never get, super friendships that are tighter and closer than the civilian world allows, a respect for authority, a constant and stable financial paycheck, a medically sound healthcare...In our economy of today...this is terrific! It isnt for everyone for sure, but those that really know in their heart that they want this...it is superb!
Congrats to their awesome moms and dads..it is no easy chore raising a child, but to send one off to the military..hats off to a job well done. Dont worry, your job is still not over, you will ALWAYS be the mom/dad, etc. You will just share the job now, the Navy will look after them well. They train them excellently. They do not let them progress if they are not ready, but they are not going to hold them back if they have the potential either! They deeply care for your recruit/sailor. They are not investing in them to watch it be squandered away!
Judith, I know. It does take awhile for some to 'feel proud'. Each finds their own way...our children, even ourselves. We are all individuals, and experience things differently. Thats what makes us unique, and special. You will be nearing that Kid-in-a-box stage soon, if not already. For you newer moms, that is the box you get of all the clothes (and I mean ALL, down to undies, and all!) your kiddo's wore when they left for GL (Great Lakes). I started on this site when it was first starting, but I did not know about the "box". A warning would have been nice! Keep writing James letters. It will be the biggest boost, and encourage them tons, they will need it in bootcamp. The days are long, nites so short, and the first few weeks are just culture shock for them. Once they get past that, it becomes more of reaching toward their goal.
Good Luck moms, you have done fantastic jobs already, they can do this. Having just thought 'Navy' is already a concept of showing how strong they are. We need give them credit. We have done our part. Now is their time to show us! This site will be helpful, you'll have and make some great friendships, and many who have 'gone before' are all here to help. Keep in mind, take things with a grain of salt. No two situations are the same, no two people will experience it alike. You'll hear about "holds" in schooling (some do, some dont, even in the same "rate" ((job)) and even in the same classes). Some will tell their experiences but may not happen for anyone else. So all we seasoned moms can do is tell what happened to us, may be completely different for you. This is our way of "Paying it Forward"- like the movie, each helping someone, who in turns helps out others , who in turns helps out that many more. You'll hear this phrase alot too!
So keep asking away, and we will try our best to help you appropriately, to the best of our knowledge, or steer you in a path that will be for you! Again, congrats!! (Sorry this was so long) :0}
No, it was perfect. I sent a smartass kid to BC who thought he knew it all and when I saw him again on graduation day...well, let's just say, he was so different, so mature. I couldn't be prouder. My husband and I just visited him over the 4th of July weekend. It was awesome watching the fireworks with him and some of his Navy buddies who couldn't make it home over the holiday. It is a whole different life for them, and it is sad to see them go, but man, it is a good feeling knowing that they are following their dreams. We're near SAT so if she needs anything...send us an email.

From one Navy Mom to another...
Smartass kid to BC lol! I too know this son....we're almost 3 yrs in to this adventure and it AMAZES me to see the difference in my son's entire out look on life! Maturity, confidence ,RESPECT ....positive the entire experience has been positive!
On m way to drop off my sailor for bootcamp excited to see wat she matures into next time I see her she is a know it al 17 year old girl trying to away from me as fast as she can thank u for sharing u give me hope
Thank u for sharing as we speak I'm on my way to drop my daughter of to be shipped out tomorrow she to has the teenage outlook of how she can't wait get out begin her life smarty pants no it all that just seems to want to get away from me as fast as she can this really helped me at this moment to read thank u again can't wait to see the transformation
i am so happy i found this thread! i am also a bit perplexed by the depth of sorrow some of the mothers postings. like you, brittsmom2010, and you also, kim ann, i am absolutely thrilled for my son, chris. joining the navy is a godsend! i echo both of your sentiments.

our kids NEED us to be upbeat and happy and excited for them as they journey forth into adulthood, into this magnificent adventure ahead of them. they NEED us to be strong and supportive! will there be tough times ahead for them? for us? of course there will. that's normal, whatever path they choose. but they have incredible opportunities available to them in the navy, such as they would have nowhere else. how lucky they are. how blessed WE are and how PROUD we should be to have raised such great kids who are STRONG enough to take on such a job as the navy! not all kids could do this. i, for one, would have never been able to!

my "kid in a box" experience was very different than so many moms here. i was happy when i opened my box! it meant my son was doing what he was supposed to be doing! and that he was safe! hooray!!! i had a tiny, tiny bit of "angst" about it, but it was overshadowed by my happiness and certainty that my son was where he was supposed to be.

i have FIVE children. in just over one year, i have "lost" THREE of them to "growing up" and moving out. one just had her first baby, one's in alaska at the university of alaska at anchorage, majoring in geology, and now chris is in the navy. is it difficult for me? absolutely. is it an adjustment? YES. i don't have all my chicks safe in their nest, and i keep cooking WAAAAYYYY too much food. but i can NEVER forget what one friend told me many years ago. i was lamenting my youngest child growing up. he was just two years old, and it saddened me that he wasn't so much a baby anymore. my friend, who has a sweet down syndrome child, said that it was a GOOD THING that he was growing up. her jenny would never "grow up" in the same sense my son would. what a great blessing jenny is---she is doing well on her own in a group home now---but debbie's words gave me a new perspective that i have never forgotten. i hope i am conveying my thoughts properly here.

i am SO PROUD of my christopher for choosing this path! and i am grateful to have found this site, and this thread, where i can communicate with other moms who believe the same way i do. i was beginning to wonder if i was the only one who WASN"T all down in the dumps about my son being gone!!!
Extremely well said Chris's mom! Bravo! Never could have said it better!
Absolutely, they need our support, 100%. It is hard to near impossible to give that and still be in sorrow all the time. Gotta trust and believe. Place it over to one who is in more control, cause mankind can never be the one fully in control. One tiny thought of doubt, that can be the difference between life and death for them out there, and if they have that shred of doubt of worrying about us back here at home, they can not do their jobs as they need to. They couldnt concentrate on that which matters most at the time. Sometimes we do need take second seat, its not forever, just for a time. And the pay-off will be well worth it in the end!
There's nothing like the peace, the joy, the happiness and secure feelings that go along when you fully give that every bit of support, and cheer with smiles to your sailor(s)! They sense ever bit of it, and are so much more confident and stand tall!
thank you, kim ann! the last thing we want, as moms, is to have our kids worry about us back home. like you said, they need to focus 100% on their job---their safety and the safety of countless others is dependent on that!

i remember talking to chris before he left, voicing my concerns about how he'd fare emotionally under the stress of boot camp. he said, "Mom, don't say stuff like that!" he asked me to only be positive and supportive. well, that's ALL i needed to hear. i "got" the picture, and from then on i didn't show any fear or worry. and you know what? i RARELY FEEL fear or worry anymore. he has such confidence in himself, why shouldn't i? i felt ashamed of myself! and PROUD of chris! and PEACE, just as you say. i believe god is sovereign. he has chris safely in the palm of his loving hand. although i will always be christopher's mother, and he will always need me in some capacity, the bulk of my job of raising him is done, and it is time for me to let go and watch him fly!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service