This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Please include hotel name, phone number, price, and features about hotel.

Views: 31282

Replies to This Discussion

We Chose the LaQuinta Inn & Suites in Bannockburn.  There is one on the brochure in Waukegan, it is 8 miles N of GL, this one is 9 miles S of GL (right off the interstate) - but all the rooms at this hotel are suites, and it has been recently renovated.  It includes breakfast, and has a pool & hot tub that are open 24 hrs.  $59 per night, Military Rate!!!  3 nights = $196.50 w/tax & fees.  We have 3 kids along, so this hotel has enough room for everyone - 2 Dbl beds & a pull out sofa sleeper, plus a fridge, microwave & coffee pot. 
I just booked a suite with them, as we too have 5 people coming. Thank you for the info! With a 1 family income it was definitely a savings.
Hi I have reservations at the La Quinta in Gurnee, I hope I don't regret it. It looked very nice on their site. So hopefully we have a nice stay.  Has anyone else stayed at this particular one?

Some feedback on hotels I have compiles.

From Andie3 on December 14, 2010

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Gurnee.  It was fabulous!  They have a pool/ hot tub, a great breakfast is offered for free and different hot things every day.  Gurnee is about 10 minutes from the training center and full of places to eat and shop.  My son spent a ton of time at the outlet mall and Target buying boxer briefs and Starbucks! He also bought a DS for his flight to his A school. *giggle*  Your son should know before hand if he is grad n go.  When is his PIR?  Do you have enough time to write and ask him?

From PattiM-proud mom of sailor Alex on December 11, 2010

Hampton Inn in Libertyville is very nice and includes morning breakfast, pool and hot tub.  We had 2 Queen size beds and a pull out couch, refridge and microwave .  We did not know in advance that we would have our son with us for the entire weekend, so our extra space worked great for sleeping and conversation.  Libertyville has some good restaurants too and is 15-20 minutes from the base.  Took the train into Chicago for sightseeing $7.00 per person for unlimited trips on the weekend( free for those in military uniform-the water taxi in Chicago took us to the Navy Pier -also free for those in uniform).  We actually drove into Chicago on Sunday  and parking was $14.00 for the day and traffic was no problem.

From cheryllynn-proud mom of a sailor on November 4, 2010

We stayed at the Courtyard, Marriott in Waukegan. Very nice hotel. Very helpful and pleasant employees.
Breakfast is served in the lobby area each morning. You can order buffet or menu and you have to pay.
There is a shuttle taxi service that you can sign up for at a charge of $6.00 a person each way. I think it may be a little cheaper for the Sailor. They will also bring your Sailor back to base in the evening if need be. We decided to use the shuttle in the morning to PIR, even though we had a rental car, just to get there easily and find our bearings. We did get dropped off at the opposite end of the entrance to the hall so if you go in the winter prepare for a walk to get in. Dress warm. I believe any shuttle service has the same drop off spot so you will have to walk.

From Dillions Mom *Sailor* on November 6, 2010

we stayed at Springhill Suites, it was very nice, clean, staff was friendly. I would not recoment taking a shuttle to the PIR, we waited for this lady to come and she drove a mini van, she didnt do it that often so she was confused where to drop us off, it was a ways from graduation and we walked completly around the base to get there. she is usually a school bus driver and her van only held 7 people at a time. if we had to do over, we would of drove.

From Sassafras Proud Mom  of a Sailor on November 7, 2010

We stayed at the Days Inn in Waukegan -- which was basically an okay place to stay... clean, refrig & microwave, but no pool or spa and no great restaurants nearby and a LONG/SLOW 8 miles to the base. On the other hand, Gurnee and Libertyville seemed to have LOTS of interesting things to do. ~~~

From Sassafras Proud Mom  of a Sailor on November 7, 2010

About accommodations: If it's in your budget ($170+ per night for 2 adults + 2 kids), this place in Gurnee looks like a hoot. http://www.keylimecove.com/ They have an indoor waterpark... which we found out about on our last day in town... so I really know nothing about it other than what's on their website... still, I guaratee you, had we stayed at the waterpark hotel we would likely not have done anything but swim and play the whole weekend...

From TRea’s Mom (ship 09 div 015) on December 6, 2010

Just stay away from the Super 8 in the 600 block of Green Bay Road in Waukegan. The prices are reasonable, but we stayed there and it's on my list to not repeat that mistake. The cops had to be called the last night we were there for a party across the hall that got very loud and profane. Not good!

Also from TRea’s Mom on December 4, 2010

But we did come upon a couple of experiences in the Great Lakes area that I would like to pass along. First, regarding choice of a hotel, DO NOT stay at the Super 8 on Green Bay Road. We chose it first and foremost because of the price. We just couldn't afford to spend a lot on accomodations, but for what we got, it was way overpriced. The showers were terrible, not much water pressure and the water temperature was all over the scale, first hot and then cold, without touching the control. Also the shower curtain was hanging by a very loose set of screws and we had to be careful not to pull the rod off the wall. The hotel is generally rundown and they are obviously not investing anything in it. The beds were okay at best. But the worst was the very loud party that took place across the hall from my room, and I do mean loud!! There was music so loud the floor was vibrating and then the party spilled out into the hall with people yelling curse words. Finally the police were called and they arrested some people. When I talked to the hotel manager about taking something off my bill for inconvenience, he said they handled it the best they could and would not be giving any discount.

From Joshuas PROUD MomofaSAILOR on December 16, 2010

I've only been on here a few times since PIR (10/29/10) - I just found this discussion and didn't see any mention of the Navy Lodge - which is where we stayed.

Only $65, per night NO taxes - and we had a very decent room.  It's a no frills place, but we had a room with a small kitchen - stove top, microwave, coffee maker and fridge.  The staff was WONDERFUL!  We had arrived about an hour and a half prior to check in time, but the manager allowed us to go ahead and check in (I guess we looked as exhausted as we were after our all-nighter of driving!).  It was just down the road from the graduation hall, and there was an NEX express just around the corner (They were mainly like a convenience store - with gas pumps).

From ameew on December 30, 2010

This sight has been a wonderful help.  We went to PIR for my daughter 12/22/2010 and there are not words to describe how great it was!!!  I stayed at the Ramada Inn in Waukegan because the meet and greet was there and for the convenience of the shuttle to the base.  It was so nice to meet other families and compare our experiences and BRIEF conversations we had with our children during BC.  It's also so nice to see other families so proud and emotionally moved by this experience.  The hotel was clean and the staff were incredibly kind and accomodating.  I arrived early (before noon) and was able to check into my room instead of having to wait until 3pm.  To sit in front of the fireplace in the lobby with other families and a glass of wine whiling it was freezing outside was perfect for the occasion. 

The ceremony was amazing.  We had the distinct privilege of being presented by MCPON, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Rick D.West.  He is the head honcho of the Navy and his speech was so perfect!  It was easy to see why he is where he is.  And, he hung with the kids the night before so they got to socialize with him.  My daughter felt really privileged for that. 

Happy New Year Navy families!!!  We are soooo very blessed with these beautiful children!!!

From Tee-1sailor’s mom on October 2, 2009

We stayed at the Residence Inn, Waukegan. It was wonderful. We got a AAA discount so I booked a 1 br suite. Full kitchen, (everything but an oven). If you are there on Thurs. night they have a free dinner buffet, and hot breakfast every day. The staff is also very helpful with directions, etc. We told them we were going to PIR and they had a packet of information for us.

My son wanted to mostly hang out and eat. There's a Walmart and several eating places really close. The Mall is about 20 minutes away. We went to the movies there and if you want to shop, it's nice.

From Heloisa on July 3, 2008

I stayed at the Quality Inn, in Waukegan. It was very nice. They let us have a room with two double beds, and when we told them we were bringing our daughter, they charged only $10 more for her to stay in the room. They also have a huge poster board in the lobby, with pictures of more than 500 Navy graduates, and a banner congratulating the graduates. The rooms are nice, and they fold the towels in the bathroom in a format of flowers. They are about 5 minutes away from the Base by car, and they offer Continental breakfast.

From Sheryl on July 3, 2008

We stayed at the Homewood suites in Linconshire last weekend. It was Very nice, totally worth it...Be sure to ask at the front desk how to get to the base taking the side road, its a very easy drive and that way you miss the tolls and all that traffic on 94!!!

From Georgia on July 4, 2008

I checked out a bunch of hotels when visiting my son at the Great Lakes, IL Navy base, and I found the Courtyard by Marriott Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee (www.marriott.com/chiwk). They are listed in the Navy brochure. It is the best hotel ever! We checked in and they gave us a ton of information about the graduation, shuttle information and a huge "Navy Family" welcome packet. It had directions to everything you could think of plus Chicago transportation info and tons of restaurants and things to do in the area. When we came back from graduation, the hotel had a huge color poster put out "congratulations graduates" with cookies and their free fresh fruit water/coffee & tea they have out every day. The staff was more than accommodating. I never travel but I felt at home with the staff and the very comfortable, clean non-smoking hotel. The hotel was not a party hotel like most hotels in the area, it was very quiet and as a single woman I felt very safe. It was very modern and more upscale than any hotel in waukegan/gurnee and has beautiful marble floors in the lobby. Anyways I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this hotel and it you want a nice place to take your graduate back to, this is the place!

From 209mikesmom on April 26, 2010

Just got back from PIR this past weekend! What an experience! We stayed at the Residence inn. We had a 2 bedroom suite. It was really nice. It had a full kitchen. We were able to use points cause my husband travels a lot. We also used the shuttle service. Everything went smooth. New moms hang in there. Keep writing, they love getting letters. your turn will be here before you know it. Good luck to all of you and your sailors.

Has anyone else stayed at the Red Carpet Inn?  I am also thinking about the Days Inn in Libertyville; has anyone stayed there.  I am looking for a hotel with an outdoor pool.
We stayed Thursday night (5-14-09) at the Navy Lodge and it was great.  Very close to the main gate (you could walk if you had to) and clean and comfortable.  The price is also right!

Navy Gateway Suites is where I am staying at. Its on base so that means you have to have a military I.D.

But its the cheapest hotel I've found in the area, if you're on a budget. I chose the Upgraded Suite that has a queen bed, pull out couch and full kitchenette for $55 a night (fits 4 comfortably). Its less than 2 miles from the RTC gates. If weather permits, you can walk to the gates and not have to worry about the long line. Its close to the gym, NEX and the movie theater on base. During liberty weekend, your Sailor can probably walk to your hotel or ya'll meet up at the train station and then visit Chicago.

I'll give ya'll my experience with it when I come back

How was it? Just starting our search for her March 2nd departure to bootcamp. How far in advance should reservations be made?

I just called them and they said we weren't eligible because "your sailor wouldn't be with you the whole time. They can't stay overnight with you." huh?

You have to have either an Active Duty or Dependant military ID to stay there.  So either parents of recruits that happen to have mil IDs or recruits wives can stay there.  I got the mini kitchenette room for $37 a night for PIR 7.8.11.  I'll let you all know how it went afterwards.
The Residence Inn was wonderful. The staff was wonderful and it is extremely clean. They off free shuttle service to area businesses, and you can sign up for the shuttle to PIR. They have a free breakfast and a social hour each night.
Comment by AbbY on February 11, 2011 at 11:24am
Navy Lodge Great Lakes is an excellent place to stay for the family members whoa are coming each week for the Graduation at RTC Great Lakes. You can either call directly at 847-689-1485 or call 1800-628-9466 or go to website www.navy-lodge.com
We stayed at the Homewood Suites in Lincolnshire. Loved it!! Our rate was 79.00 a night. We stayed in a one room suite. It had 2 double beds in a room and a sitting room with a desk and pull out couch and a small kitchen with a sink, stove and refridgerator! 6 of us went to PIR and our sailor got to spend the weekend with us. The room was crowded with 7 of us but it worked just fine! The lobby has a sitting area with a fireplace and a wonderful breakfast every morning. The pool was fun for the little kids. The hotel was roomy and warm and clean. It was about 9 miles from PIR and close to shopping. Your sailor will want to go shopping! There was no shuttle but the ride to PIR was not long. I loved the Homewood Suites and would stay there again!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service