This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Hi all!  I thought this might be a good way for us to connect!  So took the advice of some other moms.  Hopefully we can get information on when we start receiving calls and letters and other info!

Views: 529

Replies to This Discussion

i wish i had more to share but both letters i received were very brief...not much other than "it sucks here" and the fact that he hasn't received any of his mail yet. and on sundays he should be able to write during his down time.
Well, I guess it's no surprise that it sucks there, lol! I have a feeling that's what my son would write, too.
FINALLY!!!  I finally got a letter from my son.   He got his wisdom teeth pulled last week and had his first ever, im pretty sure, experience with drugs...vicodin...so he said it wasnt that bad.  He did say he felt guilty for being SIQ (Sick in Quarters=resting) while the others were ITing (getting drilled).  One amazing thing has happened.  We were stationed in japan two years ago.  One of his best friends from Japan is in his Division.  What are the odds of that happening? (They didnt keep in touch or coordinate this or anything).  Its really great to know that he has a good friend there.   He did say he cried a little bit because hes homesick, which of course made my tears start flooding.  It wasn't a long letter but all in all I can tell he's in good spirits so they must be doing okay.  I hope you all get responses soon!
they pulled my fiance's wisdom teeth too, which i just heard from a letter he wrote someone else.. seem like maybe they are trying to prevent future problems maybe....
No mail.

I got  a letter today! Very brief, pretty much the same schuja. He said it sucks, that the hardest part was the PT and he wished he had worked out more before he came. He said they were due to graduate a week earlier than normal, but I shouldn't make definite travel arrangements(too late, already done) because they might not graduate by then. He said it seems like their division was "the worst group of misfits"--which sounds like something their RDC might be yelling at them, lol. He also said they hadn't been able to read their letters yet, so he hasn't gotten any of ours. He sounded ok, and said he was trying his best, so at least I feel like he's not too discouraged.

Amsred, how great for your son that he knows someone! Small world, huh?

Glassdog, hang in there. You're bound to get something in the next day or so.

Having been through boot camp myself...and hearing/reading about others' experiences...they tell all the divisions that they wont graduate...especially when they are having problems. Its to motivate them.  I don't think Ive actually heard of a whole division being held back.  They are just playing catch up to the other divisions.  I'm sure that is hard on them.  They will be stronger and tougher for it, and definitely have more to hold their head up for at graduation.
Got a letter yesterday and almost wish I hadn't.  He has a cold, is tired, frustrated and anything else you can think of.  On a high note he did pass his swim test but not his running, push ups, and sit ups.  The sit ups are hurting his tail bone.  This swing of emotions is wearing me down, but I keep telling myself I have to be strong.  I keep telling myself I am not going to cry until I see him in PIR, but it is getting harder.  I know they are in their 3rd week and I know the first weeks are the hardest, but when do they start giving confidence and not tearing down?  Soon I hope.
The confidence comes naturally when they start "getting it". It comes from a sense of accomplishment instead of someone falsely propping them up.   From what i remember, and what Im hearing is, that after week four they start getting into a routine and the RDCs arent around as much.  From then on its training on the big stuff like firefighting, gun range and of course battle stations.  And by the way, six months after boot camp, the sense of accomplishment far outweighed any harsh emotions.  I guess its a lot like having a baby.  Even though you go through a lot of pain, its all a blur afterward when you see the end result.

I know that's got to be very hard to read, and it's natural that we want to make their pain go away-that's our job as moms. I think one of the most difficult aspects of all this is realizing that we no longer have control of anything that's happening to our sons. But how many times did we tell them that everything worthwhile has a cost? Like amsred said, there are no hugs or compliments or soothing words that can create more self esteem  than our kids accomplishing this on their own.

At least that's what I keep telling myself over and over!! So hang in there, glassdog, and keep sending him encouragement. You'll both come through this!

Thanks for the pep talk!  I am hoping once his cold settles down he will have a better out look.  In the mean time I will just keep sending letters that are both loving but tough.  I hope we start getting phone calls in the next week or so.

Just got a phone call! He had to call three times and switch to a different phone because I couldn't hear him at all. Sounded fine, still saying boot camp sucks, but at least he wasn't sick or anything. He thought they were on track for PIR on 3/11. I thought it was a good sign that they were allowed to make calls, but he seemed to think it was obligatory for the Navy to let them call. I don't know if that's true or not?

Anyway, hope you guys hear from your SRs, too!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service