This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Son goes to bootcamp on Feb 16th, anyone else this date?

Would very much like to talk to you!  My son went to MEPS in St. Louis yesterday and already feel like my heart is gonna break! 

Views: 809

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son left for basic Feb. 7, and my heart was very heavy, but knowing this is something he feels very strongly about, and has waited nearly two years to begin, has made this change a little easier. Just a little.
My son left Feb 14th, and its been an emotional train wreck for me. Never knew I had so many tears. I am very proud of him but sad...
My daughter was at meps February 14th and left on the 15th to Chicago..  What group ship div is your son in?
Hi Eydie!  Your daughter is adorabel!  The time is drawing closer for us to see them, I sure cannot wait!  My son is in Division 135.  Did your daughter go to MEPS in St. Louis?  Are you planning to go to PIR?  I am hoping to go to the meet and greet and meet everyone from this board.  Can't wait!!!!
I forgot to ask, what will your daughter be doing after bootcamp?  Doug is going to Meridian, Mississippi for logistics school.

Lauren is going to San Antiono for Corman?  I think  spelled that wrong..  She was supposed to stay in Chicago.. 

Hope to meet you at the meet and greet..    I will probably be the one crying hahah

BE SURE TO READ THE WELCOMING MESSAGES ON YOUR PROFILE PAGES. Click on MY PAGE on above menu bar. Join some groups, learn to use this site, learn about the Navy. I posted the following comment on one of today's blog. It applies here as well.

"The worst case scenario would be he won't make the cut, he'll be separated and sent home. You won't have to miss him anymore because he'll be living under your roof again, looking for a job (or going to college if lucky) and hanging out with other high school graduates looking for work. Come on moms, your sons are going into a wonderful career. Given our economy, celebrate the Navy taking them (in other words, pat yourself in the back, you have raised a son qualified to be in the Navy - this is really a good thing!). You have had him for 17/18/19 years. It's time to let go. It's time for him to learn to be a man of the world. Life continues to move on. He can stay home forever and stagnate or grow up. Help him grow up. This means you too have to "grow up" and learn that you baby boy is no longer a baby boy. Ya, we have all gone through that portal."

This really is such a good post and the cold hard facts. Being separated from us is a GOOD thing!  Yes, I've thought of this many time in the last week. When my son first started attending DEP meetings, there were held in a town which was only 30 miles from our home. After a few months, there were no young men other than mine, still in that group! In order to continue to go to his meetings, he had to start driving over 70 miles to attend meetings with another group. Once the shipout date arrived, there were only 4 young men left in THAT group! He'd come home with the tale of yet ANOTHER of the recruits being disqualified. He worked so diligently, exercising, running, watching what he ate so he'd make weight. He never did go out drinking with his friends, etc. To want him to come home would be so incredibly selfish on my part.

Yes, what would they do if they came home? There are very few jobs for these youngsters on the outside right now. There are also far, far too many young adults out there who are living off of their parents, rather than being able to launch themselves out on their own. As much as I miss my son, I am so very happy that he HAS succeeded in getting into the Navy. Even more importantly, HE is proud of having gotten into the Navy. He scored very, very on his ASVAB and had a choice of which brand of the military he joined. He CHOSE the Navy. How could I be any prouder of him. It's what he wants, therefore, it's what I want. :- )   So moms/wives/girlfriends, as hard as this is, let's try to be thrilled for our sailors. They are on their way to success!

Riptide,  

Your son will forget to tell "thank you" because your support will be like the air he breathes. It will be one of the reasons he will succeed in his life (Navy and beyond). Feel free to congratulate yourself when he forgets to thank you. Or just look long and hard at him the next time he comes home. Take mental snap shots of the man he will become. Watch the way he walks, shakes hands with strangers, looks people in the eyes, surveys the scenery. You will be so astounded (and just tickled to death) that you had a hand in bring this magnificent boy (your little boy forever but a man to everyone else) to this world.

We as moms must also look beyond our roles as "mom" to find another inner self (or an old inner self) - the young girl who wanted to learn to play the piano, or get a college degree or travel.  We have to learn to rekindle the relationships with our spouses. Reconnect with people who were important to us but most of all, rediscover who we are as an adult.

Navy For Moms gave me an outlet for my fears, concerns, frustrations (sometimes overwhelming sense of "loss"). Over the last couple of years, I move from asking for help and support to providing help and support. You too will progress to a different role on this site.  As I transition out, I am encouraged by newer moms coming in and stepping up to replace me.  Yes, I have a long list of "TO DOs" that is not being crossed off!

Take care, BQB

I know just how you feel.  My Son went yesterday also and flew out of Jacksonville, FL today.  My heart is also breaking.  My husban covers his sorrow with humor but it is not humorous.

I am surprised at how down I do feel - did not expect to miss him so much so soon.  Really does hurt.

My son is older than most new recruits at the age of 24.  He will probably be the oldest in the group. Since high school graduation he has worked in a variety of restaurants as a cook, drank too much and partied too much.  So I am thankful for his choice to join the Navy.  Took him long enough to realize there is nothing for him in this rural area...     His dad and I are divorced, and I think he is actually taking it harder than me.    

Bunker Queen Bee - thank you for what you said, my feelings really do need to be put into perspective!

My son had been in DEP for close to a year....

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service