This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

My daughter left yesterday for BC. I got the call at 8:26 pm last night. I tried to imagine what it was going to be like when she left. Its even more heart breaking. I can't thank everybody enough for all the valuable info here. I continue to find something new to look up all the time. Without your help, I would've been so completely lost. I now have a trip to plan for PIR! Again, many thanks for all the help during this crazy ride. Yes-I know its only beginning...

Views: 500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son left yesterday also and I was really stressed because I didn't get a call last night but he just called me about 30 mins ago, so I feel better. I agree it is really rough going through this but this site and the people on here are so helpful.

The first few weeks are the toughest but it does get easier. My son left on Monday and I wish I could hear from him just to know he's doing ok. I'm sure in the next couple weeks I will get a letter. Prayers as you adjust to your daughter leaving. Hang in there.

Hang in there!

My son left on Tues. and I am just sick with worry.  I know he will be fine, but I just wish my heart would tell my head that.

My daughter flew out of PA on July 11th as well... I've got other military family, so I was kinda prepared... But I know that PIR is different. I'm looking forward to meeting up with some of the moms here when we go to GL in (hopefully) August :)

Join the group, DEP-Leavin for bootcamp in June to connect with others with loved ones who arrived the same day and may have PIR together.

I also invite you to join, or at least check out, Boot Camp Moms (and loved ones) and PIR Reference Information. Once you know your SR’s PIR date and/or division number, watch in Boot Camp Moms (and loved ones) and/or at http://www.navyformoms.com/forum/topics/groups-listed-by-pir-date and join the group for that once it has been created. There will be a lot of great information and support for you in those groups. Be sure to check out the Pages (found under the pictures of the Members) and Discussions within the groups. Arrival and What Happens at the RTC within Boot Camp Moms (and loved ones) will let you know what is happening, but you will also want to check out the other Pages in all of the groups.

Sending prayers and well wishes your way today and forever! I tell everyone that here! My son has been in for over a year now! Laughter is the best medicine!  I have kept myself laughing to keep from crying! As my son left home, my husband and I had to adjust to the new normal for ourselves. Our son is doing well! I miss him, and wish he'd call more. I've kept saying I'm going to start a :"Call Your Mama Sailor" t-shirt businesses. LOL I have come to this website at all hours of the day and night to get information to help me make the journey. Praying for your Sailors safety, health and happiness too! 

Moms,

I am new to the site and my son is through school and assigned to the Farragut.  He was in the Great Lakes area for over a year.  After reading many of your messages about your children leaving for BC I felt compelled to sit down and write down my experience to you.  I thought if I shared with you what I went through emotionally you might not feel so alone.  My precious son is my only child.  I was not told until 14 hours before a recruiter picked him up in my driveway that he was leaving for the Navy.  That of course was my son's way of me not stopping him in the decision that he had made.  I was up all night panicking and was marking the calendar for the usual 4 year enlistment.  During the brief  conversation I had with him and his recruiter in the driveway the next morning I also found out that he had enlisted for 6 years.  It literally took everything I had not to hit my knee's in my driveway.  I gave him a hug and some tears then I went directly to his bedroom where I closed his door then climbed into his bed and did not get out for a month...for real. 

I didn't change the sheets, take any calls I only left the room for oatmeal and the bathroom.  I slept with and smelled his dirty laundry every day and kept it next to me on the bed.  I might have consulted a therapist to help me through this crisis where I cried every day for a month but that would have required me to leave the room and the house which certainly wasn't going to happen.  Finally, I decided that I had to make a choice because he had made his.  So I channeled all of my anxiety, fear and grief instead into support and encouragement to him in regular letters reminding him of how much we loved him, missed him and how proud I was of him.  I sent packages and strangely we both learned to write quite a lot making it seem that he was not so far away and we began to communicate in a new more mature way that had never happened before. 

Ladies'....we both lived through it.  The entire time he was in boot camp he reported that he was having the time of his life while at the same time I could not get out of his bed crying.  The funny thing was that he really was and it still has not changed.  He loves it.  I learned to love him but let go and trust that he really was able to make all of his decisions on his own so that he could live his own life which was what he wanted and was ready for.  The day that he left was truly the most excruciating and emotionally crushing time in my life, yet I will never forget the day that I watched him graduate his schools to receive his permanent assignment as they marched in parade.  Unexpectedly, all at once I felt like I had ten thousand bricks removed from my shoulders because I knew as I watched him and saw how happy he was that I had completed the most important job in my entire life by raising him and getting him exactly where he was and a happy independent man.

I hope that by sharing this honest experience with you all that maybe some one else who can't put down the dirty tee shirt or get out of their child's bed will find the strength and faith to hang in there.  You can make it through this one day at a time and it does finally get better.

Lot's of love,

A Farragut sailor's

mom

UnitedNavy that was so nice.
I relate to the not wanting to do anything and cried a lot !!!!! I wrote letters almost every day which helped some. His letters were heart breaking how he didn't realize how good he had it and missed me. This made it harder on me even though it was sweet. when I got to PIR and I told him how his letters broke my heart and I was worried sick, he laughed and said he learned quickly to keep his mouth shut and listen. we laughed at all his stories over dinner. But when I read your post I can easily go back to the time my son left and how I waited for the "Box" like a stalker !!! .....when I got it I was Sniffing his clothes like crazy ! Then wondering if this was normal -Lol but quickly found out there was a lot of us laundry sniffers .... Hang in there and this group is priceless!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service