This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

This letter from ALFA came on  October 25, 2010 at 4:39pm

Dear Ladies,

Thank you for your support and we apologize that some of you are upset about the turn of events with the Lincoln Pillowcase Project. ALFA is committed to supporting you in your efforts to make this project go. We would like to make you aware of the “behind the scenes” actions that will hopefully boast moral and get us back on track to make sure that the sailors of the USS Abraham Lincoln know how much we appreciate and support them. First off, we would like to address the issue of Mrs. Stephanie Wilcox, the former project coordinator. It was brought to our attention that Mrs. Wilcox had not obtained approval from the CMC or CO of the Lincoln. We are aware that she obtained approval from the Strike Group 9 Legal Department but approval needed to be obtained from the CMC or CO of the Lincoln as well. After lengthy conversations with Mrs. Wilcox to obtain the information ALFA needed in order to take this project to the Lincoln for approval, she told two of our Board Members that she was quitting the project because it was too stressful. Finding a new coordinator was a logical first step for us as we did not want this project to go to the way side and reality is that command approval would not have been granted to Mrs. Wilcox. Command approval was granted to Heads at Ease as they are an established group with credibility behind them. Heads at Ease has done this project for many other service members that are serving our country. Yes, you could have sent the pillowcases you made out to your individual sailors or even to their friends but without command approval or support there was no way that all sailors would have received a pillowcase, which is the goal that we are working towards. Second, is the issue of the project name change. The name of the project was changed because not all of the pillowcases will be done in time to make it to the ship for Christmas and as an added bonus, we do not offend those service members who are not of the Christian Faith. Thank you again for your continued support of our service members! If you have any further questions please contact ussalfa@hotmail.com.

Cordially,
The Abraham Lincoln Family Association

The notes and labels that Dori has designed, have been amended to say Lincoln Family Love, as this project has now been opened up to the entire Lincoln family, not just N4M.

Views: 889

Replies to This Discussion

Sue, I mailed 250 for AIMD to Stephanie. I am still sewing if you need more.
thanks for letting us know Cheryle. Sewing is always good. So keep it up, who knows where this might all lead.
we will have the direct shipping information tomorrow. please get your final counts in to ME so we can give it to you.

I went to Joann's yesterday afternoon. a couple of ladies were buying a bunch of patriotic fabric. I asked what they were making-they said pillowcases. I said "by any chance for Heads at Ease?" they said "yes. for the thing on the 27th". I said "I'm Heads at Ease!" So we talked about that day. they had a young girl about 10 with them who was going to come too. They heard about the project from several different sources. Which is very exciting to me.

the Quilter's Market is hosting the great pillowcase challenge on the 27th. they are hoping to get 400 pcs made that day! I'll be there all day to just schoomze. I was going to take my machine, but I know that I would drag it all there and then not sew a stitch. haha. .

we will use these pcs for the Lincoln if they are needed.
my son asked me yesterday if he had to give out all of the pcs on the ship. I cracked up. his exact words were:

do I have to stromp all over the ship looking for ppl that I don't know?

I told him that was my style, not his.
that is so funny! You should have told him, "No you don't have to do it all, there is another guy on board that you don't know and you will both be doing it together!" I can see both of them rolling their eyes!!!
our sons. haha. that makes me laugh. I could just see him doing that with a big bag. I got a good laugh imagining that.
Sue thank you for sharing the picture of that BEAUTIFUL SHIP! It sure warmed my heart to hear how you received it from that sweet sailor!

I sent out the PC's yesterday...with lots of prayers going with them. Sue, you sure had a winner of an idea making PC'S for
soldiers. God bless you for all the souls you 'warmed' and the 'heads at ease'. Super thought and gift! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Love, Linda
the mailings have begun! I got to mail my 1st 2 boxes yesterday! YIPPEE, CS sailors, your pillwocaes are on their way.

Linda thanks for getting yours out and I know all of Jackie's are on their way as well.

Today I am cooking a turkey for us and making the special requests for my son's squadron. The 34 family, we are mailing those between Friday and Monday.

Very exciting times.
The pillowcases have been rolling out all weekend. Heads at Ease is making a dent in their contribution to the ship's pillowcase total. I am still making some special ones for 34-Katy, currently working on your hubby's. Plan to mail the balance of 34's byTuesday. I have taken or will take photos of all the special ones sent to me. I will send them to you as individuals so you have a record of them. Will post as well.

Here is alittle write up about an event I attended yesterdayl. Some of the pcs made yesterday will go to the Lincoln, as they are Christmas themed.

The great Pillowcase Challenge, held at the Quilter's Market on 11-27-10:

It was lots of fun. I spoke a few minutes to each group, showing a picture of my son and telling a part of the moldy peach muffin story. I took in AVON as prizes, as well as one of the card totes (they loved it) and some of the pincushions that Ally made for HAE.

The morning session was more fun for me cause my Curves team was there. And a group of 8 women were dressed alike in tie dyed shirts, bell earrings, bells on their shoes, a woman named Belle and they called themsleves the Tinkerbells. They had a cheer and would shout it out.

The morning teams made 170 pcs in 2.5 hours. The afternoon group had more teams, and they were serious! They made 211 pcs in 2.5 hours. 19 had been brought in the day before to give us the 400 goal. Plus I got $88 in cash donations for shipping.

A curves member, who happens to be from Milwaukee, got on the phone and lined up a tv interview which aired last night at 5 and 10 pm. We had donuts, lunch and cookies. It was wonderful.

Learned how to make the flanged pc. I was so worried about my fabric that HAE purchased, because the flange kind take more fabric, but to have so much more donated and people donated fabric too. Awesome. There were about 80 or more women there between both sessions.

The same curves member had gone to a different fabric store and got 7 bolts donated. So we left all of that fabric at the quilting store and they will cut it into pc kits that they will sign out to people to sew. I bet there is enough fabric for 100 or more kits. Plus there had to be 50-60 pre-cut kits left. So many people brought their own fabric. I brought home about 25 of them for the Curves ladies cause they didn't want to leave. they were slow starting, but didn't want to leave.

I am blessed beyond measure. The quilting store is going to do it again I think in the spring and another group that I had met at Joann's on 11-13 gave me a bunch of fabric that they had brought and want to host one at their church. They wanted to know if I would come. I said "you bet!".

I took a page out of my great-grandma Emma's life yesterday. She always wore aprons, similar to mine. She carried a ball of yarn and knitting needles in the pocket and was always knitting something. At the end of her life, in her 90's, she was nearly blind, but could knit without seeing.

When Ben played baseball, I made myself learn to crochet without looking. So I walked around, with my yarn in my apron pocket and crocheted on a scarf for the wounded marines. One lady said to me when she asked what I was doing " you do that too?" I said yes, we do.

The interview was short, but good. They said my name wrong (Lambert) but Heads at Ease was in bold print across the screen and they gave the name of the quilting store.
What an awesome day you had!!!!! Sounds like you had a blast and I can't believe how many you got done and with donations too! It was the Thanksgiving spirit in full force for sure!
that's for sure Jackie. And the owner of the shop pretty much said the same thing.
well I finally got 34 mailed out! I was the last mailer! whew! putting all of those special pcs in a plastic bag took time and more space to mail. but they are on their way.

my received 2 boxes of pcs today. He will wait to hand out until he gets them all. Very exciting.

this project is getting close to being finished. Still have some units to mail pcs for,.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service