This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

This letter from ALFA came on  October 25, 2010 at 4:39pm

Dear Ladies,

Thank you for your support and we apologize that some of you are upset about the turn of events with the Lincoln Pillowcase Project. ALFA is committed to supporting you in your efforts to make this project go. We would like to make you aware of the “behind the scenes” actions that will hopefully boast moral and get us back on track to make sure that the sailors of the USS Abraham Lincoln know how much we appreciate and support them. First off, we would like to address the issue of Mrs. Stephanie Wilcox, the former project coordinator. It was brought to our attention that Mrs. Wilcox had not obtained approval from the CMC or CO of the Lincoln. We are aware that she obtained approval from the Strike Group 9 Legal Department but approval needed to be obtained from the CMC or CO of the Lincoln as well. After lengthy conversations with Mrs. Wilcox to obtain the information ALFA needed in order to take this project to the Lincoln for approval, she told two of our Board Members that she was quitting the project because it was too stressful. Finding a new coordinator was a logical first step for us as we did not want this project to go to the way side and reality is that command approval would not have been granted to Mrs. Wilcox. Command approval was granted to Heads at Ease as they are an established group with credibility behind them. Heads at Ease has done this project for many other service members that are serving our country. Yes, you could have sent the pillowcases you made out to your individual sailors or even to their friends but without command approval or support there was no way that all sailors would have received a pillowcase, which is the goal that we are working towards. Second, is the issue of the project name change. The name of the project was changed because not all of the pillowcases will be done in time to make it to the ship for Christmas and as an added bonus, we do not offend those service members who are not of the Christian Faith. Thank you again for your continued support of our service members! If you have any further questions please contact ussalfa@hotmail.com.

Cordially,
The Abraham Lincoln Family Association

The notes and labels that Dori has designed, have been amended to say Lincoln Family Love, as this project has now been opened up to the entire Lincoln family, not just N4M.

Views: 889

Replies to This Discussion

Great picture Gwen!  Glad to know  that he liked it.  And I am happy to say that my son made a personal delivery to him with it!  thanks for sending it to me to go with the 34 pcs.

Funny note about the fabric.  A navy wife had one made for her hubby, using the same fabric!  Each pc was distinctly differnt though.  I try very hard to make the pcs all different when mailing to groups.

Lilly, I was in charge of the pcs for VFA 34.  I mailed all of the special pcs that were mailed to me and those were handed out by my son before he left the ship.  They went as a group.  Your son's was not sent to me, I was told, per your request.  So I don't have any idea where that one is.

What I do know, is 240 were sent for the squadron.  The squadron CMC finished the job of handing out the pcs and he wrote and told me that every sailor received one and in fact, he had some extra. 

Would you please ask your son if he got a pc from the CMC?  I did email the CMC when I heard about this and asked him to confirm that your son  did at least get a pc, even if it was not the special one.

Got this thank you note last weekend:

Greetings,
My name is Rxxxx, and I am currently deployed with VFA-2. I am a Weapons System Officer, sitting in the backseat of the F/A-18 Super Hornet. Thank you very much for the pillow case you made for me. I can tell that time and love was put into making it. I will most certainly use it.

I'm originally from WI and am currently home-ported in CA, where my wife and kids are waiting for my return. They will be happy to hear that there's people out there like you all who support us and care about us.

In a world where everything is no longer deemed black and white, it's a fresh of breath air that people like you bring a purity back into it. It's your love and encouragement that keeps us going until the job is done.

Again, thank you very much, and I hope all is well with you and yours. God bless you abundantly each and every day! :)

Sincerely,
RXXX   LTJG USN  VFA-2

I responded to him and he sent this back:

Here is his reply to my email. does anyone claim this pc?  

Mrs. Lamberson,
Thank you very much for your email. It's great to get an email from
another friend from WI!!! My sister lives in Milwaukee, and one of the guys
in our squadron is from there also. I have visited AZ several times and
have always enjoyed the visits.

I've been in the navy for almost 4 years. This is my first cruise,
so I'm still fairly green when it comes to all this. It's a great job,
although being away from my wife and kids can be very difficult; but I know
God is watching out for us.

The pillowcase I received had hearts on the bottom corners with
handprints on them. Written in purple pen in the middle is the Bible verse
about the Lord blessing and keeping you, may his face shine about you
(sorry, don't remember it verbatim)....that verse. :) Actually, it was
exactly what I needed to hear at that exact moment. My family has been
through a lot for our first cruise in the fleet. My wife gave birth to our
son back in Dec, with complications before, during, and after the pregnancy,
but I was unable to get home to be with her. So, God has most certainly
been testing our faith and developing maturity and perseverance. The verse
on the pillow was a wonderful reminder that God is in charge and looking out
for us.

Again, thank you very much for the pillowcase, and your program is
greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work. Lots of guys and gals out here
need that reminder that they're loved back home. Thanks again, and have a
great day.

Rxxx

Sue,

I think that may have been one of the one's from my school.  I know several of them had hand prints and bible verses, but I didn't take pics of all of them.

Thanks for sharing.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

nobody else who mailed to this unit claimed it, so we were wondering if it was one of yours.  thanks!  You can see how much it means to him.

Here's another thank you note:

Dear Heads at Ease,

I would like to thank you for the pillowcase that I have gotten; the pillowcase I received was made by Pat. It was a nice surprised to get a pillowcase I really need a new one but I did not want to use the white ones that the ship give us since they get dirty way too fast.

Thank you again,

Jenny VFA 2

Pat is an old friend of mine-30 years and she got involved with HAE in Jan 2009.  One of my 1st helpers.

Got this special email this morning.  Reminds me so much of when my son would do traing dets on the Lincoln.  This is the sailor whose wife HAE did a card blitz for:

Sue,
        I apologize for not having written sooner, but I left your email address on the boat.  Well, here I am again on board this thing, this time for a week of training.  I wanted to email and say hello.  I hope all is well with you and your family.

My wife received all your greeting cards, and she was very grateful.  Thank you again for doing that.  It really helped her through our first cruise.  I'm really hoping our experiences will enable us to help others who will be going through their first cruise in our squadron coming up shortly here.

What's new with you and your family?  Take care, God bless, and thanks again for everything!

Ryan 

What a blessing to receive this.  His original notes are just above.  

Here's another thank you note from HSC 12:

Hi!

I just wanted to express my gratitude for the thoughtful gift of pillowcases to our squadron. I know I speak for everyone when I say that it greatly boosted command morale and brought smiles to all of our faces. I personally took the blue flannel pillowcase because it was very soft, and I have been sleeping on just an old pillow and now I have something to cover it up with! :]

Thank you so much for your taking the time and putting this together for us, we appreciate you.

Sincerely,

Petty Officer Bxxxx

here's another one:

Hello,

I just wanted to take the time to say a big thank you to you from me and my Squadron for the pillow cases!

I have to admit, its one of those things you don’t really think about until you’re several months into deployment and all of a sudden, receiving new bedding and amenities becomes the highlight of the week LOL! It’s funny how the small things make all the difference out here.

I’m not sure how, but I managed to snag the only John Deer pillow case before any of the other guys (it was a toss-up between that and one of the Truck ones)… a little reminder of home.

Once again, I can’t thank you enough for your support, letters and gifts… it really brought up morale!

Take care and keep up the amazing work!

Sincerely

AWS2 Gxsxxxx

Aircrew/Operation

HSC-12

“World Famous Golden Falcons”

USS Abraham Lincoln

CVN-72
I got a very pleasant surprise in the mail yesterday.  A signed photo of the Rear Admiral with the chief of staff and they were holding their specially made pcs.  I will have to scan the photo in to the computer, but will have to reinstall the scan part first. Here is the handwritten letter that I got from the Rear Admiral:

Dear Sue,

Thank you very much for the fabulous pillowcase your volunteer organization made for me. The pillowcase now holds a place of honor on my bed aboard USS Abraham Lincoln! The efforts of the Heads at Ease team will help American servicemen and servicewomen feel a little closer to home each night. The pillowcases will also serve as a reminder of what is good in America and why we are fighting for truth, justice and a peaceful existence for all Americans.

I hope you enjoy the enclosed picture. Thanks again for all do!!

With Great Respect,

M D Guadagini

Rear Admiral U. S. Navy

He also wrote one to Lyn, who made them. I included my letter in each one to the command and told them who made them. I just had the honor of mailing them.
How cool is that note Sue!  Nice job Lyn!!!!  Sounds like he really loved the pillowcases!

This is the note to Lyn.  I was waiting until she got it.  I thought she should get to read it first.

I recieved this beautiful note from the USS Abraham Lincoln Strike Group Commander.

Dear Lyn,

Thank you very much for the spectacular pillowcase you made for me. It is a beautiful piece of art that now holds a place of honor on my bed aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln.

The tender, loving care that you exerted making the pillowcase will serve as a nightly reminder of my duty to protect the nation and my duty to keep all Sailors safe and secure while we are deployed. They all have loving mothers, like you, and I need to return them to your arms when the mission is complete.

Thank you again!

With Great Respect,

MD ********

Rear Admiral, US Navy

This is a message I just received from the sailor on the Lincoln that had sent me a note, saying that my pc was the only gift she'd received at Christmas.

Since they just pulled into port, she has internet access. I wanted to share this with you, because many of you have stepped up and shown her true Navy Mom Love.

Thanks to all of you!!!

Birdie you are awesome I really appreciate all the you and the other MOMS are doing to support the troops. The care packages that all of you sent out came in handy. I am looking forward to getting involved with one of these groups when I retire.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service