This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's mini-documentary series "Making a Sailor": These six videos follow four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Making a Sailor: Episode 1 - "Get on the Bus"

Making a Sailor: Episode 2 - "What did I get myself into?"

Making a Sailor: Episode 3 - "Processing Days"

Making a Sailor: Episode 4 - "Forming"

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor - Episode 5

Making a Sailor: Episode 6 - "I'm a U.S. Navy Sailor"

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. There are now tickets issued, and there are no longer parking passes for PIR.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
It’s only been 3 days and I’m still a mess :( Tell me this will pass soon.....I’m sure he’s ok, but I’m for sure not :(

Views: 321

Replies to This Discussion

It's only been 3 days for me and I am really struggling. I worry constantly about my son.

I’m right there with you. Even though I’m sure they’re fine....for me, this is the hardest thing I’ve had to go through.

I hit three weeks today and I have to say it does get a little easier. Until I received his first letter it was tough! Soon after I received a call and that really set my mind at ease. Hang in there!

Hi Ladies, actually you all are in the right mind, this first few weeks are dreaded. I've been at this for two years....and I must say I was a total mess for 2 1/2 weeks crying all the time couldn't sleep or eat. As pork chop mentioned once you here a little something as far as communication it will ease the worry/tension. Hang in there Ladies, come join boot camp for Moms I help out on there and chatting and posting will help. The best advise I can give is to stay busy so that way you can focus on other things, and Remember No News is Good News.

Boot Camp Moms (and loved ones)

I’m just nervous because I got his “I’m here” call at 8:00 pm on Monday and then I got another call at midnight from him but I missed the call because I was sleeping. His recruiter got a call from him also at midnight, but he missed it too. The hardest part is not knowing what’s happening. I haven’t heard anything since that last call though :(

Here is some info that I posted on Boot Camp Moms, and please let me know in what way I can be of Help.

For the New comers who are joining Please if there are any questions/concerns that you have please post and ask. Some may want to know how to guesstimate ones PIR well here is the answer:

To guesstimate the PIR date, count 9 Fridays, after your recruit arrived, including the Friday of the week that your recruit arrives at RTC, to get the most likely PIR (graduation) date, but then know that it could be the week before if s/he is one of the last to fill a division from the previous week or week after if they have to wait for their Div. to fill with new recruits coming in. It is best to wait for the form letter to arrive before writing and sending letters, reason being is the Recruiters may not have all the correct information, or give to much info that is not needed.  Letter Writing & Fun Stuff/Questionnaires to send to your Recruit. Also about phone calls There is no set number of calls a Recruit will be able to make. Most recruits make the "I'm here!" call soon after arriving at RTC; this call is from his/her cell phone or a borrowed cell phone. Most Sailors will make one or more calls to say, "I'm a Sailor!" Recruits are often permitted to make an "I'm still alive!" call in about week 3 or 4 and have usually received mail by that time, but that call can be lost for any number of reasons. Recruits have also been able to make a very short call within a week or so of arrival at times just because the RDC was in a good mood. Calls before week 3 or 4 are most often due to needing additional information, often to assist with Security Clearance. Phone Cards and Phone Calls.

Some may wonder how will my Son/Daughter be able to buy things such as Hygiene, Cold meds. Here is the site that will explain. When Will the Recruits be Paid? and Information for Spouses

Also know that within a week you will receive "the Box" and it will need to be signed for as it comes fed ex. I kept my sons box and I put all his letters in it till this day I still have, just a suggestion.

The new recruit will pack "the box" (a 14"x14"x14" brown corrugated cardboard box) soon after arriving and beginning Phase 1. It most likely will arrive by FedEx within a few days to a week after your recruit's arrival at RTC (occasionally, it takes up to 2 weeks, but 3 to 4 business days is typical), but it could arrive by USPS if it is addressed to a PO Box or if you live in an area that FedEx hands off packages to USPS or if you do not live in the continental US. FedEx typically delivers "the box" on weekdays, so keep that in mind. (FedEx does deliver on Saturdays in some areas and does make deliveries on Saturdays in December due to Christmas deliveries in most areas, but seldom at other times of the year.) (Some have saved "the box" and used it to store letters from RTC and other mementos of their recruit's/Sailor's time in the Navy.) You may be able to leave a signed and dated note for FedEx to leave the box without a signature, but you may need to have the form from FedEx that indicates it is permitted. You can also go to www.fedex.com/us/delivery and set up the delivery options.

Got “the box” today. It made me even sadder unpacking it :( God bless all you moms that have already been through this.....I don’t know how you did it!!! Just praying for it to get easier as time goes on.

Tracey when I received my Sons Box well first I had taken some time off because all I did was cry, my poor supervisor had no idea what to do, so I took some days off. I received my Sons Box and at the same time the mailman had come and gave me his Graduation pictures UGH! my husband had called me and ended up coming home because I was a mess, but I couldn't unpack the box for a while so what I did was put the box in my Sons chair at the dinner table, it made me feel like my Son was near and gave me comfort. of course my daughter and Husband made fun of me but it helped to know a part of him was there. I say do whatever it is that is going to make it easier for us. As time went on I was told keep busy so one day I finally got the nerve to go into my Sons room and I ripped it apart from top to bottom, when my Husband came home my Daughter had told him I have gone mad LOL! so he went into the room and he was Like woman what are you doing, have you gone mad......I started crying and told them that I was told to stay busy........HAHAHAHA he hugged me and said What am I going to do with you! and well the room got painted all new fixtures base boards window fixings fan new screen TV New Bed set kinda looks like A Hotel room Now. when my Son came home for Christmas that year he was so shocked....He walked in and walked right back out and said MOM, My Room, Yup how do you like it.......Just the expression I knew it was a win win!

Sounds like a good idea! Maybe that’s what I need to do to take my mind off it, plus he would love to come home to a redone room! Lol Glad to have you ladies through this journey! :)

My son got there last night. He called me around 10:15.  I am so thankful I found this website. Just praying that this time passes quickly. Can't wait to get the letter and hopefully another call. 

Yes, it does get easier, but don't rush it. The letters will come, the calls will come. Your feelings, all of them, are valid and real. Don't minimize them, but don't get sucked under by them. That's what this website is for.

The gym I go to shares a parking lot with our local MEPS office, and I see dozens of families every week joining our journey.

I too, am only three weeks into this adventure, so hang in there. If you can watch one of the upcoming  PIR's when they (Navy RTC) stream it on Facebook, do so. It's amazing to see 'the finished product' and think 'pretty soon that will be my son'.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service