This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Events

December 2020
SMTWTFS

**UPDATE - 2020**

Due to COVID there is no public PIR. The graduations are on Thursday, and the video of the graduation is posted on RTC's FaceBook on Friday at approx 3pm. Please keep in mind that a division may need to complete additional quarantine during training which will delay their graduation.

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Anyone here with son/daughter having PIR September 18?

Our oldest son is in A school (CTI but switching to CTR this week) and our second is in boot for Nuke, PIR Sept 18.

I’m concerned that I have yet to hear from him since the original “I’m here” call and the form letter.  He is over halfway done and no calls yet.  

I’m trying to figure out if he just hasn’t had the opportunity, or if he has chosen not to call.  He is our hardest son to get close to and to understand as an extreme introvert, and I’m just hoping that the silence is just because he hasn’t been permitted a call yet.  But please let me know if you have had a call!

Also we are really anxious that he buy the photos, because our oldest didn’t and we had to convince them to allow us to order the photos ourselves!  So hopefully second son will just buy the photos, especially since now we can’t even see him graduate.

Views: 377

Replies to This Discussion

DavesMom2020 - I see that StarryNights replied to her comment for you. Yes, the Nukes go in already with their contract signed and they head to Goose Creek, South Carolina for both A school and Power School at NNPTC (NAVAL NUCLEAR POWER TRAINING COMMAND).  The one thing that the Nukes are assigned while at BC is which Nuke rating they will get - MM, EM, ET. Their Nuke rate determines what courses they take at GC. 

They also have a third school, Prototype but it is held in a different location (on down the road from NNPTC) and they live in apartments or rent a house off the NNPTC site.  - Type in NNPTC in Google Maps and see what you can find out!!  - Sort of interesting.

Chipmunk - thank you for the info. Every little bit helps. I feel so in the dark. This support group is awsome!! 

Can you tell me how they decide which Nuke rating they will get? MM, EM, ET...

DavesMom2020 - First and foremost, we always say  - Needs of the Navy as to what rate your Nuke will receive. But there are other factors that the "career counselors" take into consideration. That includes SRs interest and also their line scores on their ASVAB tests. Most of the Nukes all scored really high overall or they wouldn't be selected so we don't emphasize their scores much - but it may be a factor at some point in the decision, it just depends. And I hear of more people saying their SR wanted a certain rate and did not get it. Sometimes it is a matter of timing as well, thus needs of the Navy. 

If I am remembering correctly, the breakdown is generally 50% go in as MM, 30% as EM, and 20% as ET. Sailors that travel from GL to GC that are MM will more than likely class up almost immediately where as EMs & ETs usually are INDOC for awhile until there are enough sailors at NNPTC for them to make a class which is usually about 30 - 33 sailors. 

(Be sure to read the discussion in our Nuke Moms group - A School - a sailor's perspective - it is currently in the queue.) 

When my son was at BC they generally went to the counselor prior to week 6, because I think he told us during his 6 week call what he had been selected for. I have no idea now, when they are making those determinations. But before they leave BC, they should have their ratings. 

Chipmunk - thank you for the info!

You are welcome!!

I’m also wanting information on photos, so any information would be greatly appreciated.  My son too has a PIR date of 09/18.  I received my first call last Friday but nothing since.  Can we expect a call before PIR so they can let us know where in their Division they’ll be standing for PIR? I know with the masks on it’s going to be hard to pick him out in the group while watching online.

CindyLouWho - I am sorry that you did not have info to have asked your SR when he called if he had ordered pictures or not. That is one question to find out from your son when he calls, if he is not so tired he can not think straight!! They should be able to call after going through BS. And BS can take place any time about a week before their PIR date. I am not sure if Ellen0502 has a Sept PIR group set up or not. That is the only place where you are able to discuss actual BS information with regards to date and time. 

As for the photos, there is information on the main BC Mom group page in the upper right that has photo info. I will see about reposting in the main comments over there. 

Thank you for the info!  You’re always very helpful and I really appreciate that!

You are welcome!! We all do our best to help out the admins on here and answer what questions we can. 

CindyLouWho - here's info from the RTC site regarding pictures/dvd:

Q. Can I obtain a DVD of the RTC graduation?
A. The Navy Exchange Photographic Services at Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes offers each graduating recruit the opportunity to purchase division and individual photographs, a division Cruise Book, which highlights the Recruits’ Boot Camp experiences from Night of Arrival to Graduation Day and a DVD of the Recruit Pass-In-Review Ceremony.
Photographs and cruise books may be purchased only by the recruit prior to their graduation from boot camp; however, if your recruit did not order a DVD of PIR, the Navy Exchange Photographic Services Office will accept orders on the day of graduation.

Please verify with your recruit that a DVD has not been ordered by them prior to placing your request.

To order a DVD of your Recruit's PIR, please contact the Navy Exchange Photographic Services Officer at (847)578-6205 and provide the following information:

Recruit's Name
Division Number
Date of Graduation (Pass-In-Review) Ceremony
Return Address (Sorry, No P.O. Box or Overseas Addresses Please)
Daytime Phone Number
For prices and additional information, please contact the Navy Exchange Photographic Services Office at 847-578-6205.

My son has the same PIR date and we haven’t received a phone call other than the I’m here one either. We did receive a couple letters today and it sounds like he’s doing well. Hope that’s the case with your son too. 

That’s good to know!  We did finally receive our first letter this week so that was a huge relief, because I did not expect him to write at all, because he hates writing.   I wonder if our sons are in the same division?  Ship 06 div 335

RSS

© 2020   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service