This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Events

December 2020
SMTWTFS

**UPDATE - 2020**

Due to COVID there is no public PIR. The graduations are on Thursday, and the video of the graduation is posted on RTC's FaceBook on Friday at approx 3pm. Please keep in mind that a division may need to complete additional quarantine during training which will delay their graduation.

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Anyone here with son/daughter having PIR September 18?

Our oldest son is in A school (CTI but switching to CTR this week) and our second is in boot for Nuke, PIR Sept 18.

I’m concerned that I have yet to hear from him since the original “I’m here” call and the form letter.  He is over halfway done and no calls yet.  

I’m trying to figure out if he just hasn’t had the opportunity, or if he has chosen not to call.  He is our hardest son to get close to and to understand as an extreme introvert, and I’m just hoping that the silence is just because he hasn’t been permitted a call yet.  But please let me know if you have had a call!

Also we are really anxious that he buy the photos, because our oldest didn’t and we had to convince them to allow us to order the photos ourselves!  So hopefully second son will just buy the photos, especially since now we can’t even see him graduate.

Views: 377

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for thinking of me!  We are on a countdown to PIR - 10 days to go. We never got a phone call because he sues what seems to be his only call on his girlfriend. I was pretty disappointed but not shocked. I’m just learning to go with the flow and not know what is happening next. The holidays will be different this year and our new baby is due then so even if SR can have us go out where he is, we won’t be able to. It’ll be hard. 

Finally got our call!!!!  Yay!!!  20 days left until PIR.  We just have to figure out how difficult it is going to be to see him in South Carolina and to get him his stuff.   Our state is strict with Covid so hopefully that won’t be a problem (he was thinking that it might be a problem at Christmas for leave). 

Actually my older son may not make it home for Christmas either as he is graduating A school on Dec 22 and being shipped to Texas immediately after so not sure he can get away, especially with covid stuff.

BTW he said no covid in their division....

Hey StarryNights,

How are you? Hope you are ok.

Hopefully he will be able to come home after A school. What is his rate again? They usually have a two week stand down for the holidays so it will be interesting to see if that will continue. Prayers that it does.

My oldest just switched to CTR and my one Sept 18 PIR is nuke, not sure the exact one yet.   

Hoping we can fly down at least briefly to give him his things in SC after he gets to school. 

Both of my sons are not looking like they are able to come home for Christmas.  Oldest one will be grad from Pensacola Dec 22 and has to immediately fly to Texas for his second school, and then probably quarantine.  Nuke son warned that they are being super strict about quarantine and traveling so he may not be able to come home.   

StarryNights,

Oh ok. I wasn't sure how they will be proceeding. I guess we all have to wait and see what happens. 

StarryNights - I don't recall if you are a member of Nuke Moms group or not. Be sure to join and check in there. We had some postings recently about what people were needing to do, to give information to their sailors so that families could come meet their Nukes at GC. 

9/18 as well, we didn’t get the earned call... girlfriend did... I’m hoping we will get the sailor call

Rose - I am so sorry!! Hopefully you will get the sailor call. They do usually have a little longer to talk, so keep in mind that if he does call you first, have all your questions ready, especially those pertaining to his orders and what he knows about travel to A school and when he will be going so you have an idea of when he will have cell phone communication again. Also ask him what he did about his photos - they should all be having them shipped to home currently. 

He may want to split the call time between you and girlfriend, so be mindful that if he calls you first he might not be wanting to talk with you for a very long time. Sorry, not trying to be negative, just giving you a heads up on possible scenario. Or he could call her first and then your time will really be limited if he calls you - Just stay hopeful!!! 

One of my daughters went in on 18th.

Anyone hear from their kid after PIR on the 18th?  We heard during his “sailor” call that he thought he was flying out on Friday evening.  But we have heard nothing.  He hasn’t gotten his phone back.  Why won’t they let him call us to at least give us a schedule of his travel?   I don’t understand why they are officially sailors but still don’t get their phones back.  We also have not received his photos.  Starting to feel frustrated because after his “sailor” call it’s like he dropped off the map.  Couldn’t find him in any of the graduation photos or videos because of those dumb masks, although his division was in the graduation.  Sigh.

StarryNights - yours is headed to GC? Correct. I am not sure when they are giving them their phones back. Not until they are headed to their A school, as I believe I read some place else. Hopefully, he will get back with you soon. Be sure to text him and let him know that for your sanity you would at least like a Text that just says, Mom - I am OK, and things are going according to Navy Schedule. Yes, this is hard. I am not going to lie but there really is not much you can do unless your sailor contacts you and they may not let them do that, to keep from "ship" / "sailor" movement being disclosed that is not suppose to be. Also if they have not left for travel and are still in hold at RTC, I think they have not been given their phones yet. 

Thanks.  It’s just frustrating because I’m not sure if we need to contact them about the photos (I should already have those, right?  No idea what he did about photos.  We had to order them ourselves with our oldest, who also screwed up photos.  Ha.)  His phone is still on our family iPhone group until he gets back out and redoes his phone plan, so I can tell if his phone has been turned on, and it hasn’t yet.  It just seems so dumb (yes I know it’s Navy) that they worked so hard and now they are official sailors but they aren’t allowed to have their phones while they wait to be moved.  And I’m just concerned because he thought he was being shipped Friday but apparently not.  Anyone know if shipping has been delayed due to the virus?  He is headed to Nuke school.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service