This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Anyone here with son/daughter having PIR September 18?

Our oldest son is in A school (CTI but switching to CTR this week) and our second is in boot for Nuke, PIR Sept 18.

I’m concerned that I have yet to hear from him since the original “I’m here” call and the form letter.  He is over halfway done and no calls yet.  

I’m trying to figure out if he just hasn’t had the opportunity, or if he has chosen not to call.  He is our hardest son to get close to and to understand as an extreme introvert, and I’m just hoping that the silence is just because he hasn’t been permitted a call yet.  But please let me know if you have had a call!

Also we are really anxious that he buy the photos, because our oldest didn’t and we had to convince them to allow us to order the photos ourselves!  So hopefully second son will just buy the photos, especially since now we can’t even see him graduate.

Views: 367

Replies to This Discussion

Starry night, did you at least get the form letter that they usually send out about 3-4 weeks in. You would at least have his address. I wrote my son and told him what pictures I want. Nuclear bound kids have a different personality, mine seemed to be more of a introvert too.I love and miss him so much even though he didn't speak much of share much. I hope you hear from yours soon. God Bless you.

I did get the form letter right on time, and have already sent out two letters to the address, so we are about five weeks in with only four to go.  So I’m paranoid that maybe he just doesn’t want to call home, but hopefully he just just hasn’t had the chance yet.  

He has been told he will fit in great with the nukes because he is quiet and sarcastic.  LOL.

I forgot to be specific about which pictures!  I just told him to get the same package his older brother got, the one with the big photo and then the group photo with the display book.  But I didn’t put it in writing, just told him before he left.  Oh well, worst case we can call them and beg them to sell us an order like we did with our oldest.  Ha.

StarryNights -- With the 2 week ROM communications are about a week behind. He may not have been able to call for several reasons that have nothing to do with anything being wrong. He may have had watch or had somewhere else he had to be during the call window.  If something is wrong you WILL be called in Every instance!! This is one of those maddening times when NO news is GOOD news!! It is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo HARD!!! And heart wrenching because you just want to hear them say.."I'm doing good, Ma. I'm still glad I chose this job, Ma.  It's all ok, Ma!!"  But instead all we have are *crickets* and even though we know the other moms are right we get mad when they say "no news is good news".  I understand where you are and the near desperate desire to just reach out and hear from him.  Hopefully he knows to buy the pictures.  Just keep writing!! (Maybe offer to pay for the pictures?) and let him know you just really would love to hear from him next phone call or at the very least could he send a letter!

Starry Nights - My son didn't not even write long letters - he always said he only had about 10 minutes to write. Also, I have seen comments that the SRs are running out of postage stamps, so I don't know if that is an issue as well, but another possibility. 

As hard as this is, once he gets his phone and to GC, you will be able to have a better idea of when you can talk to him. Although, most Nuke Moms say they don't hear from their sailors. Mine was different. I trained him early on to keep me up to date with his activities and being #4 of 5, we were always coordinating things. Now that he is out in the fleet and his duty days are constantly changing or he is out to sea, the times for talking are more sparse - Remind yourself - this is training for you as well!

Yeah my oldest son, whom I am very close to, didn’t even write letters LOL so I’m definitely not expecting any of that.   Maybe it’s more of a girl thing, and I only have boys!

My oldest is in CTI moving to CTR and I have been in close contact with him with text, phone, and even FaceTime (introducing his friends and everything LOL) but I know with my Nuke’s personality, he probably won’t update much more than an occasional text.   Probably rarely give phone calls at all once he is in school, actually.   So that’s not really the issue.

I am just hoping to hear from him soon from boot to make sure all is going well and that he is ok.  He was in a bit of a funk when he left for boot for some reason, and so I just hope he misses us at least a little.  (My oldest was the opposite and was homesick and ran to the phone every chance they gave him LOL)

StarryNights - at this point, you really want the "No News is Good News" - it means he is working through everything. - Not necessarily what you want to hear though. -  But I do understand - this uncertainty is hard. Everything except for our actual time with our sailor after PIR, went like clockwork for us, even then the phone calls came according to what he told me. We had a call at 3 weeks, 6 weeks and then the sailor call. One week I did not receive a letter and that is because he went to medical for a sore throat and did not have time to write on Sunday. Everything is so gobblygook right now - even with some kind of pattern, it is just hard to expect anything. 

Yeah I don’t expect letters because even my oldest (who we are super close) did not send those.  But my oldest did get a three week call, and a five week, and then a bonus call, and a Thanksgiving call.  So now that we haven’t heard from second son for five weeks already it’s a little weird.   But it is what it is.  I guess it really isn’t that I’m worried about him (I was a lot more worried about my oldest....my nuke adjusts to everything life throws his way, and I’m not worried about him at all in that way) but I would like to know he is at least thinking of us, I guess!

1. My girl is going to fit in the nuke program perfectly also. Thought she was sarcastic and quiet because she looked down her nose at us.i guess that is just who she is,! I didn't receive a form letter, just a call from her boyfriend telling me her address. She has a twin that went in 2 weeks later. I know I will hear from her!

Starry nights, my son was horrible at letter writing, the only two I received I had to write the beginning and the end myself and ask him to fill in the middle.Kind of like Hi Momand Dad and at the end, see ya soon and his name. I put it in a self addressed envelope, those are the only letters I got. Mine is at A School for Nuclear now and he is a no frills kind of kid and very matter of fact. Praying you get something soon.

Hi StarryNights This is the first I have heard of Boot for Nukes. How is that different than boot camp? My son is in ROM until 9/1. But when done, he will be going to Goose Neck for Nuke School. 

I'm still trying to figure this all out!! Can wait to hear from him, but he is not much of a writer, so it may have to wait until we can talk over the phone. I hope he gets extended phone time after PIR since we won't get to go see him due to the covid restrictions.

I’m sorry it’s just regular boot camp but he is already going into nuke so I guess I just said it weird!

Ha ha - it was kind of cute, but I took it literally and was worried we missed something special! 

My son is several weeks behind yours, but perhaps they will meet and be friends.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service