Drain off water the next day; cover with water and simmer on stovetop for 30 minutes. Drain well. Put beans, barley, sausage, water, garlic, and bay leaves into slow cooker. Stir. Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours. Remove bay leaves. Taste and add salt to taste.
Crockpot Lasagna Soup
NOTE: You do NOT have to brown the beef before putting into the crock pot.
Here is what you need: Serves 6-8
1 lb ground beef (or vegetarian crumble)
3 cups of beef broth (or vegetable broth to make vegetarian)
1 cup of water
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 TB dried parsley
1 TB dried basil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1, 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1, 6oz can of tomato paste
1 cup V8 (or any vegetable drink)
2 cups uncooked shell pasta
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
Optional topping- shredded cheese
1. First mix together the can of tomatoes, and tomato paste in crockpot.
2. Next add broth, beef, garlic, parsley, basil, onion, V8 and salt/pepper.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
4. When 30 minutes are left of cook time, add in the 1 cup of water and noodles. Stir to combine. Put lid back on and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
If you like your soup to have more liquid, feel free to add some extra broth and or water when you add the noodles.
Mexican Crockpot Lasagna
Here is what you need: Makes about 6-8 servings.
- 12-14 tortillas (I used small corn tortillas)
- 2 cups of shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 tbsp of fajita seasoning
- 28oz can of tomatoes
- 15.5 oz can of black beans
- 15.5 oz can corn (or frozen)
- 2 cups of salsa
- 2 cups of shredded chicken (or veggie chicken)
- 1 small onion, chopped
1. Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Lay down layer of tortillas. Each crockpot will vary in size. Mine took 4 small tortillas to cover the bottom.
Next, spread a layer of tomatoes.
2. Sprinkle some chopped onions & black beans on top of the tomatoes.
3. Cover beans with a layer of salsa & apply a generous amount of fajita seasoning.
4. Next layer on your chicken & corn. (pictured with vegetarian fake chicken)
5. Top corn with a layer of shredded cheese.
Like I said, all crockpots are different shapes and sizes. So keep layering until you are a couple inches from the top. I was able to repeat the layers 3 times. When you do reach the top, for the final layer, do a later of tortillas, topped with the rest of your tomatoes and cheese.
6. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2 hours. Top with sour cream of avocado :)
Crockpot Macaroni & Cheese
Here is what you need (serves 8-10)
- 1 box (13.25oz) of rotini, shell or macaroni pasta
- 4 TB butter
- 4 cups shredded cheese (I used a Colby-Jack blend, but Cheddar would work great too)
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature, cubed
- 1.5 cup of milk
- 12oz evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
1. In crockpot mix together butter, cream cheese, milk, evaporated milk, sour cream, salt, pepper and paprika. Try to stir out as many lumps as possible.
2. Stir in UNCOOKED noodles.
3. Top with shredded cheese. (DO NOT mix at this point. The cheese will melt and make it's way through the noodles. Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours.