This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Question about housing there for students. I was wonder how the housing works. I am a fleet returnee (E-5) who is PCSing from another base. I have applied for housing on base and indicated on all my paperwork I did not want a 2 bedroom, but only a 3 bedroom. As it was, the housing folks seemed slow and took 2 weeks to respond with the forms required. Three weeks after I originally tried to apply, they seemed to ignore my request for a 3 bedroom and told me I am on a wait list for a 2 bedroom (Trident Park?). It appears they are trying to have Bealfour Beatty place me in a 2 bedroom despite only applying for a 3 bedroom. It makes no sense to me as I qualified for a 3 bedroom at my other base when I was an E-3. I only have experience with the base housing office at my old base I am leaving... what are peoples opinions about the base housing at Groton and the housing office?  Are they difficult to work with? So far it does not appear that they my interests as a sailor in mind, or seem to be trying to help me.

Thanks.

Views: 230

Replies to This Discussion

The housing you qualify for is based on rank AND family size. Are you married? Do you have kids? Generally you will only qualify for a 3 bedroom if you have 2 or more kids. Housing here is getting quite full and available units go very quickly. If you as a single sailor take a 3 bedroom, there may not then be anything available to the family with 3 kids that needs it. We have found the housing office and Balfour Beatty quite reasonable to work with but it helps to interact in person.

I am married with one child. However, considering stories I have been told about Trident Park - I have started looking at apartments in nearby towns such as Norwich as a backup plan. I was an E-3, married with a child as an air traffic controller rating at NAS Corpus Christi and qualified for a 3 bedroom here just a year ago that I think was in the 1200 sq. ft range. Most of the pilot students at my previous base live off base on North Padre Island beach condos. Most Navy personnel living on base at my old installation are MAs, HMs, and some Coast Guard crews.

You might look off base, then. When we came here, we had one child and we only qualified for a 2 bedroom based on that. There was one unit in Trident Park and one in Polaris Park available the day we met with the leasing office and we took the one in Polaris. It was about 1100 sq. ft. After I got pregnant with our second child though they authorized a move to a 3 bedroom which we have now and would be happy to stay in for some time. Also, keep in mind the housing here is not actually *on* base. It's all within 2-3 miles of the base but well outside the gates. Most students are unmarried and live on base in bachelor housing. I haven't noticed that rate matters very much for where people live here.

I've heard alot of stories about BB and Trident Park, and BB hasn't even attempted to contact me about any of their housing despite having already applied. It almost feels like they don't need renters. I had google mapped the gate and it looks like the housing is 5 minutes off base from the gate and some of the apartments are 10 minutes from the gate. I'm thinking the extra 5 minutes doesn't matter to me. My PCS orders don't allow me to use the BEQ unfortunately (my past experiences as an E3 were that life is always simplest in the BEQ). I've never cared the conditions I live in, but I can't really justify making the family suffer through Trident Park...push comes to shove I'd have to use the DLA money to get the apartment. Whats really concerning to me is that while BB doesn't contact me..some of the newer nicer apartments have already been negotiating with me. Here at Corpus it was RealmGroup and all the units were nice..there was no Trident Park. I ended up turning down a 3 bedroom here because the 2 bedrooms were nice. It sounds like the idea to make privatized housing idea wasn't so great.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service