This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Navy Moms- I'm curious... I’ve been reading some conflicting answers about how often moms are able to contact their child in boot camp. What was your experience? Also, did you send a care package during their training? (If so, what did you send?)

Views: 5044

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

there are no care packages allowed. They have that posted on the great lakes website. Also, we can write them as much as you would like other than that you have to wait for them to contact you.
I have been sending some letters and articles of interest from our town newspaper, crossword puzzles, etc. but today, I sent a little tube of face cream (girl sailor), I was thinking that the harsh weather was terrible on her face and she'd appreciate some sort of moisturizer. It was sort of bulky. I wrapped it well in plastic bags. I hope they don't confiscate it . Do you think they will? As for food goodies, I got the letter about no food care packages, so I sent 'cut outs' from coupons!!! LIke a picture of Little Debbie goodies!! Like paper doll food!! Best I could do!!
http://www.nstc.navy.mil/rtcgl/

Here's the link for the recruit training command at Great Lakes. It tells you what you can and cannot bring with you. As for care packages, no way. I would encourage you to send a few photos of family and friends in cards and letters. As far as contact, your main contact will be good old snail mail. You may receive a random phone call since they can earn phone time. Make sure if your caller id comes up blank, you answer it. It may be them calling. Unless there is a family emergency, you cannot call your child and then you have to go through the Red Cross. This is a good site and will help answer a lot of your questions.
I hope by sending the moisterizer I haven't cost her a phone call to me!! I will just stick to the mail I have been sending.
I would just like to add everyone is correct on the "no care packages" HOWEVER...if your son/daughter is there during a holiday like mine was, things can get interesting. Mine was there for Thanksgiving and Christmas of 06. Some of us moms got together and for Christmas we sent 100's of xmas cards FOR THE SAILORS TO SEND HOME! We sent these to the Division Commander with a note of thanks and hope the recruits could use these to send to their families. Many of us ALSO sent 100's of candy canes, also to the Division Commander with a plea to give them if deserved to them on Christmas morning. NONE of the packages sent ever said WHO OUR RECRUIT WAS! ANNONOMOUSLY!
I've read some conflicting things about care packages during boot camp. One says they are ok, the other says not at all any help would be greatly appreciated! Also what are your recommendations on buying/sending nex card, and don't live near a base to be able to purchase one.
http://www1.netc.navy.mil/nstc/rtcgl/index.html Here's the link for the recruit training command at Great Lakes. They will tell you what they can and cannot bring. Care packages are not allowed. They will be taken away. Once they get to Great Lakes, they will be signed up for an account with Navy Federal. Their paycheck will be deposited into that account and they will have a debit card they can use at the Nex. Until they get to a certain point in their training, they cannot just go to the nex. They have to earn that right and if someone in their division messes up, they may not get to go at all. It also depends on their Commanders as to how strict they are.
Dear Robin,
Don't send anything. They have teeny tiny storage for personal items. Maybe razors? Send local news paper clippings of events, people and places he knows. Send newsy letters from home. Write often!!! The new recruits are new to everything in boot camp. Nothing is familiar, they see nothing familiar, know no one familiar and so all they can think of are things they remember..from home--pictures in their heads. Write about the dog, the cat or the turtle, what the people he knows are doing...you know, like, Mr. Doe down the street is still mowing his lawn even though it's dried up old grass!! All the day to day stuff will be welcomed information!!! Send a phone card loaded with phone minutes for the unexpected allowable call home. Hope this is helpful. look at everyone's recommendations. Pick and choose! best wishes.
Thanks so much for your help. We are still in the process of joining. My son had some problems with his heart and now we are waiting on MEPS to decide if they are going to allow him to come down for his physical. So, now it is a waiting game.
To the parents/friends/family who are sending crossword puzzle and games:

Please stop. It is bootcamp. There will be plenty of time after they graduate to do word puzzles. While they are bootcamp they are there to train not play games.
I agree with intheknow. The new recruits are working & training at every moment, then they fall into bed, dead asleep before they hit the pillow. No place to keep games, puzzles or anything for that matter and no time to play with anything. News from home --letters by regular US mail service--is best...good news, newsy news, etc and don't forget to tell your new sailor son or daughter how proud you are of him or her. They need to know you support their decision to join the Navy. And by all means, do your best to attend the graduation!
I wish I knew of this site when my son enlisted in 2007. I cried for days. Boot camp was very difficult for me. I wrote him letters evry couple of days telling him how proud I was. I made cards on the computer and personalized them with Navy things. I found funny cards with jokes.

I never told him that I could not walk into his room anymore.... I never told him that I was an emotional basket case. I knew he was going through his own difficult time and separation issues. I did not want him to worry about me.

We sent packages of things like gum, stamps and money to use in the store to buy things up in great lakes. They don't want you to send food like cookies and other perishable items. It's very hard. My son saved every letter and brought them home with him and saved them all... This is what means a lot while they are away!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service