This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Some parents fear they won’t hear from their kids in the Navy very often.

Misconception? Truth? I know in boot camp sometimes conversation from them is limited, but what about after boot camp?

"Some parents fear they won’t hear from their kids in the Navy very often."

Views: 3630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My sailor calls me every chance he gets. Sometime three times in one day...
Unless he is out to sea then I just wonder what he is doing and when will he call. He is an adult now and I have to let him go.... He and all or boy and girls will ok
My son is serving in Japan, and I hear from him as often as he can get on the phone to call me. The last time we talked it was for about 45 minutes. I have others ways of getting in touch, but with the time difference I find myself sleeping with my cell phone on next to my bed, as the time difference is 12 hours. He has matured from his experience in the Navy, and I could not be happier for him. He is getting a chance to do some things / see some things that I have not,... and what parent does not want a better life for thier child than the one you've had. The Navy is a good start. I am so very proud of my son and the choice he made!
We talk as often as possible also. My cell phone is next to me at all times of the day. It doesnt matter if it is three oclock in the morning or three oclock in the afternoon doesnt make a difference to me, as long as I get to talk to him. I am very happy for my son (Stephen). couldnt be prouder of him. He followed in his fathers foot steps.
PIR (graduation from boot camp) was definately a defining moment for me. You see my baby (18) went from my baby to a man and the transformation was so great I didn't even know it was him. Even now 5 months later, it is still very awing to see him and just listen to how he speaks and how he carries himself. I hear more now than even when he was still at home. Today's call was from on the flight deck of some ship anchored in San Diego harbor and he said he wanted me to hear a F-14 go overhead and he kept talking and pretty soon there it went. I have at least an 30 - 60 minute conversation with him daily. How his day went, what he learnt and how things are going and then he asks me what I have done. But the way he conducts those conversations is phenomenal. You should hear more from your sailor after boot camp and if not still keep writing and sending cards.
I feared that, but it wasn't true. Our son lives in San Diego on a carrier. We live in Boston. He calls us every few days, even now, over 2 years in. While in boot he suspended his cell phone and once out he reactivated it. He still has his phone and number he's had since he was 16! We help him topay for it when the monthly bill gets high due to calling back home...that way I know his phone will nalaways be on and he can always call us!
Maybe I am the one in a million but I just some how do not think so..... A school was great I heard from my son everyday. Since he has been on the carrier I hear from he less and less and I have only heard from him by email. I would really like to know what kind of phone card is good to buy and send to him to call why he is at sea? I have been searching the site and maybe I am missing it but I still have not found the answer. I would appreciate any assistance you could give. Thanks alot and God Bless you and your Sailor!
Hi Monie - you are not one in a million - I to do not hear from my sons very often. It all depends upon their job, where they are, etc. My sons have jobs that keep them outside of communication channels a good portion of the time. Email has been my greatest tool for communication. Hearing their voices is a treat. I am proud of them and they are doing very well in the Navy.
This is not true. I hear from my son everyday and he has been stationed in Washington state on Wibley Island for the last 5 years. If your sailor is able once they are out of boot camp the best way to keep in touch is by cell phone. My sailor got a cell phone after graduating from boot camp and has not stop calling home since. When he goes on deployment he has the cell phone company to suspend the service (which they will do for military) until he comes back to the states. Once back in the states he has his service restored and keeps the same number. So chins up ladies your sailor will be calling you so much you are going to run out of conversation (smile).
As usual I come to Navy for Moms to feel better about things that don't go just the way I 'd like them to. My Son called me every week after boot camp when he first got to A school. I havent spoken to him in weeks and am very concerned. I do realize his studies are very hard and he has room inspections and he is on duty at times and thanks to a comment I just finished reading, what little time he does get off should be spent having fun. Just looking for a shoulder to cry on I guess.
It's really hard to let go. I'm still working on it myself. Hang in there, I believe time will help with this.
My son is at GL as of today I have not had one letter from him. It has been three weeks and three days. However, I talked to a young man that answered the switchboard today that made me feel much better. In addition, I was so welcomed aboard by the moms here that I have to say these ladies and a couple of dads too have been the source of comfort to my heart and soul. They have also kept me sane. This young man I spoke too said the switch board at GL is full of calls from parents that have not heard from their young ones. He told me that it takes about a month for letters to start coming in from GL to home. He said that they may not admit it but they love getting mail from home. He made some excellent suggestions that I listed on another forum for example, if you loved one likes games, music, electronics, sports do computer searches and send print outs of the latest games their reviews, send reviews of new CD s by their favorite artists or the latest gossip about their favorite actor, singer, guitar player, band, send info about new electronical gadgets, send newspaper clippings about their favorite sports. They love to hear news about home. I thought about getting a subscription to our local newspaper. Its hard to wait for a letter I am very aware of that. At first I didnt even have an address even though one family member did. Then I found out that anyone can write to any recruit and I do have the general address for GL where a son or daughter can get mail if you do not have their ship division etc. If anyone needs it feel free to contact me. One of the moms gave me a good idea maybe all the moms that have a loved one in the same ship and division could write each others child alternate sending just encouraging cards. This mom did this for my son and it was awesome. Its a shorter version of Mollys wonderful idea we could support the RTC s in boot camp some may not get much mail. These young people are going to be challenged physically and mentally like they never have been before lets send them all a big round of cheer. My son is on Ship 14 Division 293 feel free to write to me at anytime. Hugs to all of you. PS they are rewarded by getting extra time to write and maybe a call. I got a call just for information and I cherish those few moments they are priceless. I my ex was misinformed too that if they get a letter or too much mail they have to do push ups. Dont know how that rumor got started yet he actually read it on a couple of web sites.
My Son is currently deployed, his second one. Phone calls are rare, the first deployment, 6 months, we got maybe 5 calls. He has to stand in line for hours to use the phone. They have told us that this time will be different, that they have more phones dedicated to the sailors. So far, one month out, one call. He does call his wife on the average of once every two weeks, if he can. He has a new baby boy, so I would rather him call her, than me. We have purchased him a global cell phone, which we are getting minutes put on it this week. That way, when he ports, he can call us with no problem. Expensive, but worth it. Boot Camp was a different story. Maybe, 4 calls the whole time, and one of those I missed. Oh, man was I upset.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service