This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

True or False: The military doesn’t really offer experience relevant to the real world.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? Let's hear them Navy Moms :)

"The military doesn’t really offer experience relevant to the real world."

Views: 800

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Negative. I think that EVERYTHING they learn, from ironing their uniforms to keeping their quarters clean are all life long lessions. They learn to work as a team, not as a single unit. I think there are jobs they do that may be limited in civilian life, but with a military background will put them one step ahead of everyone else.

They learn about themselves most importantly.
I have to agree with VeryProudNavyMom, the Navy teaches self discipline, respecf for oneself and others, teamwork, being punctual, on and on. All these skills will be valuable to them no matter where they draw their paycheck. Also the schooling provides them with an education for the future. My son will be able to step out of the Navy and straight into a $100,000 + annual salary because of his training.
hi! Navy will give my son an educational future, right sis? Will navy give my son a 100% TUITION FO HIS EDUCATION? HOW IS YOUR SON. MY SON IS IN DEP RIGHT NOW, HE JUST ENLISTED LAST JULY & WILL BE LEAVING THIS DECEMBER OR EARLIER. cAN YOU GIVE ME PIECES OF ADVICES MY FRIEND.thanks!
Dear Beath-

Moving forward- please don't use all caps... it's considered shouting (and I know that's not your intention).
Oops Im So sorry for that. That was not my intention. I didin't notice that I use All Caps sorry again. Thanks
I work with many younger (20-30ish) kids who have never learned to take care of themselves. They've never learned how to work and contribute. The Navy will teach all that and more. Talk to any hiring agent for any company and the polish and manners and teamwork that the other moms have mentioned make them stand out in any crowd. Most youner kids beleive that individuality is what will get them ahead. Militiary members know that teamwork and respect will help them more.
Wow... I pretty much have to agree that everything, well almost everything :-) my son has learned while in the Navy has been "relevant experience" for now and in the future. Not only has he become a man, he has had the opportunity to travel to places he never thought possible and learn not only one trade but two! my son went BACK to A and C school to change rates and is as happy as I have ever heard him. I really believe this was the best decision he ever made.
Relevance, it is all relevant to the real world. Only difference is, these children are going in at 18, 19 etc.....but coming out with the life experiences of someone who DIDN'T know how to save, balance a check book, get to work on time, be accountable and know how to handle responsibilities until they were 35. But these kids have the advantage of this real world knowledge while they are still 21. Imagine how great that man/woman is going to be when THEIR 35.
Hey, I'm 48 this year and STILL don't know what I want to be when I grow up....THAT is why I wished I had joined when I wanted to....but back then I was told that I would be better off being a "secretary"....ouch...I cried for DAYS....all I wanted was to be a Jet Pilot.....Now I work in the aviation industry, and low and behold, most of the folks I work with have either been in or are retired military....amazing but I could actually pick out WHO the military personnel where...LOL....therego the way they learn to work as a team, in my job it is ALL about team work. So there everything they learn will help them in civilian life.
Hopefully great enough to differentiate between their and they're. If your goal in life is to join the subliterate masses by giving up your right of independent and critical thought for a few years, then the Navy is a perfect fit, I guess.
I take exception to your comment in that when Googling "subliterate", dixonverse.net states that subliterate people read more than average and consider themselves well read and that their opinion is highly valued by others. So by using their minds and exploring all their avenues through the written word, they are truly making independent and critical choices for your safety as well as that of your family and advancing their own lives in a positive manner. Which as parents is what we should strive to do by giving them the tools to make these choices.
As my sailor says, "you can make deriding comments to them but until you put on the uniform you won't be making informed choices but you will give them the respect they have earned and deserve and more importantly that respect of the country you live in."
This site is for positive comments by parents in support of their child's choice and negative comments such as yours are not well received. Please reread the community guidelines you received when joining this site.
Yes, one bad apple can spoil a bunch, but those apples aren't NAVY!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service