This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

When my son/daughter first spoke about joining the service I…

Story Time anyone?
I know when you first join N4M’s one of our standard Q’s is: When my son/daughter first spoke about joining the service I…

And then usually there are the standard answers like:
Was concerned or afraid, Was confused, Needed to learn more about it, Was proud, Was relieved, Encouraged him/her, Said “No way!”

But I'm starting this thread- because I wanted to hear the stories and memories behind these standard answers! Things like: How did they bring it up to you? What was the reasoning? I see your responses to this question and I think things like "I wonder why they were confused. Or if they said “no way” how did still end up joining?" Heh. Plus, I think every mom on here has an interesting story to tell.
So (pretty please) take us back to that moment…

Views: 447

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Debbie you are so right. I have spoken to friends and they all seem concerned and express their best wishes but I believe they are tired of hearing it. I cry all the time and until their sons or daughters go in, they won't understand the feeling. My son, like yours, has wanted to join since 9/11. You see we are born and raised New Yorkers. 9/11 hit everyone in this country but I believe it hit New Yorkers the hardest, especially those who were there for the first bombing in 1993, which we were. We moved to Florida shortly after that to care for an ailing parent. My son was 13 at the time the Trade Center was destroyed and he has not forgotten a bit of it - especially since his grandfather was one of the iron workers that helped to build the Twin Towers back in the late '60s early '70s. My son has the same heartfelt pride of defending this country and protecting it from anyone who wants to take away our freedom. May God bless your son and mine and keep watch over them and all the other fine men and women of our armed forces. God Bless
One of my favorite parts about this website is the stories! They are what makes us who we are and gives us the connection we need to relate to one another. Such a tiny thread from each one of us that has made the fabric of this site so strong. I gave my most treasured gift to the world and I have been repaid by the kindness of people who were once strangers to me. I really value the relationships that I have built with all of you!
Awww shucks Kimberly - we love you too!
I love your sentiment. It is true we give the Navy, the country and the world our cherished children. My baby is there and I am so proud.
I live in South Carolina and my son lived in Indiana so I got a phone call and he was at the recruiter's office. I had heard he was thinking about it but never dreamed he would do it. His reason for joining was to finish his education and he needed the military experience to help him with his career.I was very scared and could only think, this is my baby and I don't think I can deal with this. I still have days when I wish I could just go back to when he was a baby but time marches on.I am very proud of him and what he is doing and each day gets a little bit better. I guess I wasn't exactly the thrilled mom most are but the only military backround my family has is my dad was in the Korean war so I don't know it as a way of life . I believe he made his own choice and I do support that and I will be the proudest Navy Mom out there. I even have Tshirts!!!!
I had a brother killed in Viet-Nam. When my son decided to join the service, he told his father first. His father & me then approched me with the idea. My son stated that he wanted to join to help his country. (he joined right after 9/11) I was dead set against it!!! I was hoping he would come to his senses. My son then stated that he needed to support his family. (He had a 2 year old). He was making $7.00 per hour in Florida with no benefits. My son stated that he would have medical & get a good education in the Navy. I knew all his arguments for joining were legitimate. My head said this was good for him, however, my heart was screaming NO! My heart speaks a lot louder than my head. I eventually came around, and in retrospect, this was a good move on my son's part. I am so proud of him!
My oldest son was going through some difficult times with school and girlfriend and felt he needed more direction in his life. When he told me he was thinking of joining the Navy I was very supportive of him and went with him to the recruiter. He ended up not going in right away but my youngest son picked up the information that my older son brought home and was interested in the nuclear engineering program. We went to an airshow and every branch of the military was represented there so my youngest son had an opportunity to speak with a few different Navy men and was sold. My youngest son is going into the Navy because he wants a degree in nuclear engineering and as a single mom I don't have the resources to put him through the schooling he'll need. He can get that and experience through the Navy. Besides, he thinks the uniforms make him look like a "stud!"
My son's Father (we were divorced for 14 years) was killed in an auto accident less than a month before Jordan turned 18 and right before high school gradation. (ok I am taking the long way around this story haha). Jordan lived with his Father and I could see his life unraveling before my eyes. We couldn't get him to stop drinking, I think some drugs were involved, and he was well being very premiscous (spelling?) with underage girls he was just 18 but... As a senior in high school he took a test about military aptitude and he scored in like to top 2%. He showed a little interest and so we helped him along by contacting the Navy recruiter to send material. We felt this would help him get control and learn some discipline, respect and responsibility. The Navy wouldn't allow him to enlist until the lawsuits were completed. That took almost 2 years. Jordan is a week from finishing boot camp. He said at first it was tough and he wanted to quit but he didn't want us to think he was a quiter. He now says it is good but tough but he's glad he is in it. I can already hear a difference in his voice and demeanor. I think most of the family felt the Navy might be what it took to save his life. I keep telling him I believe that he will come out of the Navy a better man, better husband and better Father when that happens to him. I have missed him terribly but I have to believe I have been right. Jordan have plenty of money for his future. I don't know if he will make the Navy his career. He is stalking about going into law enforcement so he can help people who have gone through a loss like he has. Good luck and God Bless all of out men and women in the Navy and all branches of the military. Here is a little addition about the strength of Navy old and young. I saw a truck today at a convenience had no clue who owned it but on the side was a magnetic ribbon that said US Navy on it and in the middle said not for self but for country (I hope that is right). I found the owner a retired Navy man in his seventies. I asked where he got the magnet and he said at the Amarillo TX Veterans Hospital. He asked why and I told him I had a son who was graduating boot camp and he told me to take the magnet off of his truck. I offered to buy it and he wouldn't take any money. I gave the man a hug and told him I hope he has no serious illness. He smiled and said tell your son thank you and the Navy is proud. Made me cry right on the spot. :)
I hadn't known that my son had been talking with recruiters since High School. I remember one day answering the phone and it was a Marine recruiter. I basically told him in "nice words" to never call my house again. They were not getting my son. I guess the Marine recruiter took me seriously 'cause he did not call again. However, the Navy did. My son, the first time, I believe was either a Freshman or Sophomore in High School. He had been meeting with recruiters and talking with them at school. He has wanted to join the military since 9/11 when he was only 13 years old. Recruiters would call him again after he turned 17 and said they would wait until he was 18 and graduated High School. I thought it was a passing phase. There for a while, there was no mention of it again. Until one day my worst nightmare became a reality. My son wouldn't even tell me. He had his father do it. My first response was "NO WAY IN (blank) are you going in the military. Not in this day and age." My son quickly reminded me of what I told my father, when I was thinking about enlisting in the Army 30+ years ago. My father was extremely upset with me stating that no daughter of his was going into the military. I told my father, "Dad, I have to do what I have to do." Well, whoever said that history repeats itself was correct, because those were the same words that my son said to me. How could I argue with the same feeling of patriotism that I felt 30 years ago. My son learned well from his mother and father. I am a veteran of the US Army (next to last class of Womens' Army Corp - better known as WACs and my husband is a veteran of the US Navy. My world has basically stood still from the day I was told until the present. My husband explained to me what Navy life was like and after comparing to Army life, it was very different. I was starting to come around to respect the decision that my "baby" son had made - his first real decision as a "man". He too had chosen many courses of study he might like to venture into. Pursued the entertainment field, which he loved - started to make good contacts and then BOOM - the Navy. I have to respect his decision.

He was starting out as AO (Aviation Ordinance) and then he was told that his eyesight was "better" than perfect and would make a great sniper. They needed him. They convinced him to test for the SEALS. Mind you, my son has always been very athletic and extremely agile. Never afraid to venture into anything. The more the risk - the greater the rush. His friends get him to do things with them that they are afraid to do alone because they know my son has no fear - like being dropped 300 feet from the air on a sky rope - just for the thrill - and loving every minute of it. Remember the old commercials - "Mikey will eat it" well my son's story is if you don't want to do it alone get Anthony 'cause "Anthony will do it with you". Anyway, my son tested out for the SEALS and did not make the first go round of the Physical Strength portion. He didn't know what to expect about the testing. He made the right connections and had help with training the second time around - and he passed this next time.

He has a way with people and gets along with all. Never a person did I meet that did not have something nice to say about him. I remember he told me that when he first went to take his testing in Tampa that one of the guys in his group (mind you they were not even in yet) had entered the building without removing his hat and the Petty Officer told the kid to drop and give him 20 push-ups. There were about 20 young men in this group but only 1 was singled out for not removing his hat. The young man proceeded to do the push-ups by himself and my son turned to the rest of the guys and requested that they all get down and do it with him so he wasn't alone. All the guys did. The Petty Officer commented to my son - you're going to make it - you have the team spirit. That's what we're all about. Being there for one another.

Anyway
our kids are the best
My son, Robert, had been threatening me with "I'm gonna join the military...." for 2 1/2 years. I fought him tooth and nail. Rec'd a call from a Marine recruiter, had him in tears on the phone. Our conversation ended with him telling me that my son could get shot in Philadelphia. Told him I was going to put Robert in a dress and ship him to Canada!!! (Not that I would, but it sounded good at the time.) He is my only child and for 15 yrs. I was his only parent. Married my wonderful husband 4 yrs ago. He's a great step-dad to Robert and has always supported him. (Even about joining) Anyhow, back in April I called Roberts bluff and said "Fine. Let's go." Shocked and confused, he backed off and never said another word. I got a phone call from Rob while I was at work, asking me to come straight home from class. We need to go somewhere. Said OK. When I got home, my brother and husband were waiting for me. They said we were going to see and talk with the Navy recruiter in 15min. (Planned so I would not / could not change my mind). Sneaky. Robert tried college, he found it to be too distracting, and expensive. He qualified for a boat load of scholarships, but didn't want it handed to him. I even suggested going to a teaching hospital for their Nursing programs. Nope. He wanted Military. So here we are. We questioned and drilled the recruiters for 45min. He made up his mind, told them what he wanted, listened to what they offered. A couple weeks later, was taken to McGuire / Fort Dix for processing. Came home property of the US Navy. He currently is in DEP. Will be leaving for GL 12/08/08. 6 cases of tissues later, it still is hard. Robert is the first in my family to sign up. I'm really scared that he may not come home.( I try not to think that way, but as a mom, I guess I always will have that in the back of my mind.)
Thank You Navy for Moms, and God Bless.
Cheryl, I know how you feel. My biggest scare is that the Navy Personnel car will pull in front of my house. My husband keeps telling me to stop thinking about that. I can't though. It will always stay in the back and front of my mind. The scary part is that he hasn't even left yet and I am acting like this. What is going to happen when he finally pulls away from my house with his recruiter. He has just passed the test for the SWCC and his contract is being re-written to reflect a new date. Maybe sooner or maybe later. I am trying to do everything I can to try to keep an upbeat attitude. I come home from work earlier to spend time with him - if he is home - or to just be there if he asks "Mom, can you make me a grilled cheese sandwich, please" (at midnight) which I always did anyway but now it makes it more special. I used to laugh and tell him you have two hands (just to bust his chops, ha ha) and he would tell me "but you make it better" and he would give me a big kiss on the forehead (he is taller than I and he loves it). I don't make that comment anymore. I do anything and everything he asks. I am there for my baby boy and cherishing every minute of it. He calls me several times a day, sometimes just to say he loves me. All I can say is enjoy every minute of him now. I have a lot of faith and I am keep praying that he will be watched by his guardian angels closely. My prayers are with all our young men and women (even older ones too, ha ha). God Bless and take care.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service