This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Hi All,

A boot camp Dad posted this on facebook and I thought is was so good, I wanted to share it her:

The Five Stages Of Loved Ones During Basic Training. Stage

1: Denial ... The first thought is one of disbelief. The person cannot believe their Loved One wants to join the Navy. (Are you kidding me???) This stage is often accompanied by deep sighs and a hope that sanity will return.

Stage 2: Anger “OK. Are you are just doing this to get even with me for something? Why are you trying to be mean me? Have you sought professional help?“

Stage 3: Bargaining “If you don’t go, I will cook your favorite meal EVERY DAY.”

Stage 4: Depression “OMG, (He /She) really is gone to Boot Camp. I won’t get a letter for TWO WHOLE WEEKS! And no phone calls for a MONTH! And I won’t get to see (him / her) for TWO MONTHS!!! Sigh… Life as I have known it is over… “

Stage 5: Acceptance “PIR is almost here!!! I am so excited!!! I am so proud!!! What am I going wear? How do I get there? Can my entire extended family attend? Can I stand next to my Sailor during PIR? Will there be an entire team of photographers and videographers dedicated to my Sailor’s every move? Can I meet (him / her) outside before they march in? Can I come live in their Division area with them until Graduation Day??? Etc… etc… And then suddenly, before you know it, you are sitting there and the door rises and in they march in to the Drill Hall ...

Views: 26551

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. What the heck have I gotten myself into? I can not believe I am here.

2. What the heck have I gotten myself into? The recruiter lied.

3. What the heck have I gotten myself into? Everyone hates it here.

4. What the heck have I gotten myself into? I would quit if I could.

5. Wow. I did it. Battlestations - that was fun & PIR this week. Can't wait to see my family, then off to A school. Life is good.

Perfect...thanks. He is in week 3 and his first letter said this place still blows big time. Not sure where he is but I'm glad to know there is a five coming.

Thank you for sharing.

My son left home yesterday for bootcamp.  Today I'm at stage 4. I know I'll be at stage four, for some time.

Ah Tasha,

Depression or resentment or both?  You'll be fine. Not immediately. Take the time to get adjusted and if you fall back. It's OK. You have a boy who is recruit. You must have done something right!!! 

Don't forget to read all the stuff in the Survival Guide. Here is the link.

Survival Guide for Navy For Moms Newbie (clickable link). You'll find everything you need to get started. Videos, PDF files of boot camp processing days, links to all the important groups plus tips on how to use this site. Keep in mind the videos and PDF files may take some time to download the first time you try it. It'll look like nothing is happening. Be patient. Best part is it'll be here on your very own page as a reference. Click the MY PAGE tab on above menubar to access your page anytime - you should do it at least once a day to see if you have any postings on your comment wall (like this one)

Donna, you too. You'll be OK. I promise.

My son is at bootcamp 2nd day he called and asked if he was allergic to pennicillin from medical unit- is he taking physical or sick? -he had two seconds to ask and hung up

Please reply i am so seriously nervous about it I hope it is physical

thank you

Shari, It could be for dental work....... I'm sure that's what its for... The first week or so they pull any wisdom teeth......
Jackrabbitj...Yes they do pull them. My son has been out of BC for a month he had to get his pulled about a week into it. I was sick with worry but when we saw him at pir he said the dentist was really good. She made sure he was numbed up and gave him pain meds a fter. Theygo on siq then lld for a couple of days. Its hard to know you can't be there with them for a procedure like that-but they are taken care of. :-D

The Navy only does dental work that is needed.  The dentists at the RTC consider if there may be a problem in the future and remove one, two, three, or all four of the wisdom teeth if needed.  If there is a question, they may indicate that the teeth are to be checked at "A" School and removed then if needed.  They also may put off removal of wisdom teeth until later if there is dental work that needs to be taken care of first.  Some may not need any wisdom teeth removed; my Sailor still has his wisdom teeth more than 4 1/2 years later. If it is determined that the recruit does need to have one or more wisdom teeth removed, this is scheduled at a time that will be the least disruptive to training and often several in the division have it done on the same day so they are recovering together.  The recruits have 2 days SIQ and have someone who checks to see that the recruits are taking their pain meds and drinking plenty of water as directed.  They then have at least one day of LLD and must be checked before returning to full training.  We often hear that recruits have the wisdom teeth removed on Thursday or Friday, so they have the weekend to recover.  This is similar to the recovery time given in the civilian world. They are well taken care of and there have been recruits who were happy to have the time to rest and others who didn't have to have the teeth removed who wished that they had once they saw how their shipmates were treated while they had to clean the head or do other jobs in the compartment and continue with PT.

Well I'be been through those stages and yes right now my son is into his 5th week which I'm sure is busy and at the same time exciting for him.... But mom here on the other hand is on a set back....... Last contact from him was March 9th!!!!! I was very surprised and shocked he was given a phone call, he did sound good and said wasn't that bad. But its been
12 days now and nothing..... But I have to keep counting down till PIR. April
13th.

LOL! very nice! I told someone else once, it was like going through the stages of death. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross would have been proud.

I seem to have missed some of this stages.. Is there do overs???

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service