This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Hi, I'm new to N4M and have been reading some of the great and informative posts. My son is a GW nuke and I'm wondering whether there are any other mothers of nukes. Also, trying to arrange a visit, although I don't know when they will return again, and I've heard you have to be sponsored by your sailor or someone else. Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated. All the best.

Views: 646

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ginny! My son had his bank accts compromised as well - he discovered that in Busan. Oh the things we learn to handle! As a matter of fact, I'm mailing out his new Navy Fed card today. I'm glad your son is doing well and loving Japan! My son emailed me that he has approved leave after deployment so I'm very happy. I will admit, I'm envious of those moms who have their sailors based in the states! This other side of the world thing is expensive and difficult! Ginny, have a fun luncheon today!
Hi Ginny, Nice to hear from you and that your son is liking Japan. Sorry to hear that his account was compromised. Was he able to be compensated for his loss? Some commercial credit card companies will do this, but I don't know what the Navy Federal policy is. I wonder if there is a way to track such a thing. Maybe someone on here knows more about it.
Hi Rosemary and Sam's Mom.  NFCU sent my son a letter here that they had credited his account with the stolen money while they investigated.  This past May I had my purse snatched as I loaded groceries into my car and within minutes the thief used all my cards including my bank and my NFCU debit cards.  Luckily the local police acted quickly, and using info about where he was using my cards (as soon as I called my bank the police talked with them) they caught the thief at a local mall!  He was carrying a gun and was a previously convicted felon so he will be in prison for a long time.  And, I got my purse and contents back.  I did have to have all my cards reissued and fill out forms to substantiate my claim but I got back all the money that he had put on my cards.  The banks, credit companies, etc. have immediate access to know where your card is being used.  Also, a lot of cell phones have GPS chips and can be tracked by the provider so the police can sometimes find thieves that way.  I was very lucky though and I don't carry more than one card now and I keep my purse under my arm always.  The worst part was having to go identify him at the local jail. It was through a one way mirror but the door was open and he screamed at me that I was wrong, and then he got hysterical, admitted his guilt and begged my forgiveness.  It was a nightmare.  I was supoened but did not have to testify at his trial since the DA made a deal with him because he had so many more serious charges.
Hi Ginny, What a story! Glad you got it all straightened out and got your money back. Also that you weren't hurt! Desperate people do ruthless things. Glad your son was compensated too. I hope they can figure out what is going on -it sounds like a pattern.

Rosemary, I have a friend whose son is stationed an hour from home! I know what you mean about envying moms with kids in the states.
Hi all! Boy I wish I could watch the GW pulling into port and see our sailors maning the rails. What a site that would be! Finally got a short email from my son. He says he loves Sinapore and finally feels like he is finding his place in his division. So glad to hear that! Last time we talked he sounded a little down trying to get his quals. He is a ET that was deployed in March.

Hi Sam'sMom!  I am a nuke mom. My son has been on the ship since January. I too would like to visit and I am considering late summer to fall of 2012, depending on when the ship is back in port. It has been a long year and I miss my son terribly. I don't know too much about how to go about this but am beginning to do some research and investigate flights and rates. If you find out anything more about the sponsorship thing will you please let me know what you learn. I too will share anything that I find out. Best of luck to you and your sailor.

I don't log on to N4M too often and I see your post is already a couple weeks old. Hope you find my response.

Hi Btown Mom, Great to hear from you. I believe your son can sponsor your visit, if you can pin him down long enough to get him to do this. I don't hear from mine very often and when I do, it's hard to get him to respond directly to a request like that, but I've heard there are others who can sponsor you. Maybe some of the other moms have more info on this.
Hi ladies! I heard from my sailor and he said he had one day and one night off the ship in Singapore. In his words "everything was very expensive there". Said he is now working very long hours and getting only a few hrs off here and there.

Our sailors apparently seem alot alike in some ways!   My son , when I hear from him, says almost the same thing - LOL.  Poor guys...  I haven't heard from him about Singapore.  But he did go to a bit of trouble calling me before they shipped out from Yoko!!!!  Seriously, I do hope he got off the boat for a little while!

I am not sure about sponsorship other than by your sailor.  I am sure AntiM on Japan Moms could shed light on this.  Good luck.

kate - glad to hear that things were better and he was finding his place on the ship.  What a change of life! 

BTownmom - Have fun planning!  Several of the MOms on the GW site have traveled and have GREAT info.

Hi Moms! I got an early morning phone call from my sr this morning!!! It was great to hear his voice and it was so unexpected. He said they are in the middle of a huge inspection so everyone is working extra long hours. He also told me that he got the Halloween care package I mailed one week ago - wow, that one arrived quick!!
Hi Rosemary, My friendly post officer told me this about packages sent to APO/FPO addresses, there are 2 ways they get there fast: by PAL (Parcel AirLift mail) on a space available basis if the package is less than 30 lbs. and 60" in length & girth combined; and by SAM (Space Available Mail) with a 15 lb. limit and 60" in length and girth combined. Maybe yours qualified for one of these! Glad your sailor enjoyed his pkg :-)
Sam'sMom - that's great to know! Thanks for the info :D

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service