This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

My son left for BC on Thursday, April 20th. Anyone else have a son/daughter who left around the same time? I am just trying to see how long it is taking to receive THE BOX & The Form Letter. I know the sight says THE BOX can arrive within a few days to 2 weeks, but I am just hoping to get an average time it is taking. I am anxious since we didn't receive the I'M HERE call. We know our son arrived to Chicago ORD because he sent a text. He said he would call one of our cell phones, but we didn't receive his call. I know there are many factors that could have prevented such. Just having a horrible time dealing with this departure thus far. I am trying to get as informed as possible and also trying to stay busy while he is in BC. I am thankful to have found this website to help express my feelings and to share what this experience is like with others who are in the same situation. It is so hard not hearing my son's voice, seeing him, and even telling him to get things done. I find myself crying throughout the day because I miss him so much. I know that many who have been through this faced some of the same emotions as I am having. I just want some additional advice as to how to deal with missing him and not being able to communicate with him for such a long period of time. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. Anyone who has a recruit who shipped out around the same time (shortly before or shortly after) please share your thoughts. Thanks!!!

Views: 580

Replies to This Discussion

And I agree with the facebook group.  Definitely join that too.

My son is 19. This is also the first time I've been out of contact with him. It is horrible. I cannot stand it. I have been dating his letters. I think I put the first two in the same envelope too. I don't want to make the envelop to thick and attract attention to him when he finally gets mail call. About how long do you think it took your son to get your letters? How long before you got any actual hand written letters from your son? Does your son leave for school the day after graduation? I can't wait to hear what my son has to say about bootcamp. When did you receive the "Im a Sailer call"? Thank you for helping me through this time. I didn't realize it was going to be this hard on me. I have an older son who moved to Arizona for college when we still lived in Chicago and that was hard enough. I think this situation is even harder because I have NO COMMUNICATION with my recruit. Do you feel the time went by quickly? Do you feel the time started to go by quicker once you started getting letters?

You can put 3 -4 pieces of regular paper in a regular envelope with one stamp.  They are only able to write letters during holiday routine on Sundays.  The first couple of days they are in processing before they get into their actual division.  Then the next Sunday from there they will be able to write.  You can sometimes get their information earlier by contacting their recruiter.  The recruiter has it on the computer while we need to wait for the mail.  He should be flying out next day to Pensacola, FL.  I hate the no communication too.  I can't wait to get him his cell phone.  Time did go by quicker once I got his letters.  If I was lucky it came on Thursday if not it was here by Friday.  His last letter to me was a I miss you mom postcard he bought at the NEX.  I bawled my eyes out when I got that.  I received the I'm a sailor call Friday.  His was the first division to go through.  Some divisions with his PIR haven't gone through yet.  I didn't give any thought to how hard this was going to be on me either.  I was just thinking about him.  Then the next day I felt lost.  He's my oldest.  I have one more son just turning 16.

Mjh363-Thanks for the advice about how much mail can go in one envelope with one stamp too. I too can't wait for my son to get his cell phone. I hope it doesn't take too long to get mail to and from!!! 

Is your youngest thinking of joining the military? 

Haha I told him he wasn't allowed to.  I can't do this again.  Just kidding with him.  I think this was a great thing for my oldest.  He wasn't sure what he wanted to do.  So this gave him direction while helping him mature.  My youngest doesn't know what he wants to do.  I have a rule in my house though.  No slackers!  It's college, full time job or military after graduation

HAHAHAHA! I told my daughter NO! She is 17. My son wasn't sure what he wanted to do either. He started  with college after he graduated HS, but thought it was boring. He then decided to go talk to a recruiter. UGH, I was not excited. I think I am more afraid than anything. The world is much different now than when my husband was in the military. I am proud that my son has decided to do this, yet I am also scared for what's ahead. 

Also, the recruits are only allowed to mail out on Sunday. Once they get a person trained, they receive mail during the week. It is also hard for them to have time to write. I started putting an envelope stamped and addressed to me in my letters. This saves them a little time. If your son did not take a prepaid calling card, you may want to mail him one. He can buy one at the NEX, but I wanted to make sure he had one if able to call.

MomL- Thanks for this info. I am going to mail him a calling card since he didn't take one. He wasn't supposed to leave until June, but he was asked to go sooner and he said yes. Good idea to include a self addressed stamped envelope too. That will definitely save him some time and cash for stamps. I was planning on sending stamps, but I suppose the other idea is even better! Hopefully the calling card will get there by the time he can make his call too. 

They can pick up calling cards at the NEX.  He won't miss a call because he doesn't have a card.  They are issued a card to use at the NEX for purchases.  I sent my son with a phone card and he said it wouldn't work so he uses the one he got at the NEX.

Oh ok. So should I hold off on the calling card and hope that he gets one at the NEX? Or should I just chance it and send him one? How many minutes did you get on the card?

I would hold off.  He said a lot of them had problems with the ones they brought and bought them from NEX.  He'll get one from NEX.  The phone calls mean a lot to them.  Always keep your phone on you.  My experience is if they need to call for information it can be anytime.  If they are making scheduled calls then it will be on Saturday.  Except the I'm a Sailor call.  That comes 2:00 Great Lakes time the day after Battlestations.

So he will have the opportunity to go to the NEX before they decide that the recruits can make a call? I just am afraid he won't have gotten to the NEX by the time they let them make a call. Then he wouldn't be able to call if he didn't have a card. Does that make sense? Did you know when to expect the I'm a Sailer call? Did your son inform you ahead of time, or is that on a site?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service