This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

My son left for BC on Thursday, April 20th. Anyone else have a son/daughter who left around the same time? I am just trying to see how long it is taking to receive THE BOX & The Form Letter. I know the sight says THE BOX can arrive within a few days to 2 weeks, but I am just hoping to get an average time it is taking. I am anxious since we didn't receive the I'M HERE call. We know our son arrived to Chicago ORD because he sent a text. He said he would call one of our cell phones, but we didn't receive his call. I know there are many factors that could have prevented such. Just having a horrible time dealing with this departure thus far. I am trying to get as informed as possible and also trying to stay busy while he is in BC. I am thankful to have found this website to help express my feelings and to share what this experience is like with others who are in the same situation. It is so hard not hearing my son's voice, seeing him, and even telling him to get things done. I find myself crying throughout the day because I miss him so much. I know that many who have been through this faced some of the same emotions as I am having. I just want some additional advice as to how to deal with missing him and not being able to communicate with him for such a long period of time. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. Anyone who has a recruit who shipped out around the same time (shortly before or shortly after) please share your thoughts. Thanks!!!

Views: 580

Replies to This Discussion

I am waiting for the I am a sailor call. Based on what I have read, it comes after they complete Battlestations. I read where he should call either Thursday, Friday or Monday before his PIR date. I am expecting that call this week! I am praying it is sooner rather than later!

He will.  They go to the NEX to get their basic supplies. Deodorant stuff like that.  You can ask your son to write you when Battlestations are.  I kind of figured it out based on other information and what number his division is.  They usually start the week before graduation on a Thursday night.  None on Friday and Saturday night.  Then resume on Sunday night.  They go in division order.  My son is in the first division so I figured Thursday night.  If you do get a date you are not allowed to post it because it is considered a ship movement.So the calls come in Friday, Monday or Tuesday before graduation.

Mjh363, when is Battlestations over? My son should PIR 5/5. When should I expect his call?

Earliest the Friday before PIR.  Battlestations are usually started on Thursday night into Friday morning.  None on Friday or Saturday night.  They resume on Sunday night.  They go in division order with their brother division.  So my sons division was 133.  His brother division is 134.  They are the first divisions for the PIR date of 4/28 so I knew they would go first.  The calls start coming in at 2:00 Great Lakes time.  In my son's division and brother division all passed.  Good Luck and early congratulations on your soon to be sailor!

I did both. I also sent him a book of stamps. He uses those to mail to his brother, friends, etc. Not sure if you have access to a printer, but I started pasting pictures of family, pet, etc. on paper and typing around it. My son loves getting pictures from home. I bought some small cards to use when I run out of time to write. Just no glitter, etc.

MomL-I will follow your advice and do both then too. I will also print out pictures of family and such and include those on the letter. I was thinking of postcards too, but I didn't know if that would be appropriate. Again, I don't want to single him out somehow.

I am also worried about too much attention. Best not to draw unnecessary attention. I bought s 500 minute ATT prepaid card at grocery store for $25. That should be more than enough to get my SR through boot camp. He used it when he called last weekend.

My son also left on 4/20.  He sent a quick text as soon as his plane touched down in Chicago so that we would at least know he made it there.  I got the I'M HERE call from his cell phone at 2:16am on Friday morning.  

This has been the worst weekend! I too find myself crying throughout the day if I have any time to let my brain "go there"

I have two other boys and a full-time job that keep me extremely busy but my heart just aches not being able to hear him, see his face or even just send that random text message to make sure he is doing well. 

I am so anxious to get his letter with the address so we can start mailing letters, although he did say it would be 3 weeks when he called :-(    I really hope it is sooner than that! I do think I will feel better once I am able to do that and hopefully he will write home as soon as he can. 

Mom2boys- Thank you for your reply. Where was your son leaving from?Mine left from Salt Lake City. I am so happy that you got the I'M HERE call. I think we stayed up until 1 am waiting. I am wondering if his phone died and he didn't want to use someone else's phone. Who knows. All I know is that it was heart breaking not hearing his voice like we had anticipated. I am grateful we received the text letting us know he landed in Chicago. 

I am a train wreck right now. I have been crying so much this weekend. I have found myself thinking about him NONSTOP. I will be fine one minute and then all of the sudden I see something and that reminds me of my son and I lose it. So horrible. I was a teacher, but we just moved and am now just subbing. I am keeping busy with work, but I find that once I am home it's difficult. Just everyday life has changed just like that. We have a younger daughter at home that is in HS. She seems to be doing okay so far. 

Keep me posted on when you get THE BOX and when you get the FORM LETTER. Maybe they will be in the same division. How old is your son? What is his rate?

He left from Knoxville, TN Thursday afternoon. The weekend was full of chores around the house and lots of opportunity for tears; folding his laundry, cooking (which he and I always did together, he is a great cook!) Man I miss that boy!!!

My middle son is a Senior in HS and they are really close but so far he seems to be doing well, it helps that he is extremely busy with end of the year Senior stuff but I am really going to lose my mind when he leaves for college in August! My poor 12 year old won't know what to do with his crazy mother that won't let him out of her sight!

He is 20 years old, spend one year in college and decided that was not for him at this point in his life so he worked full-time until he left.  He is doing IT/SS

So glad to have found this website and other moms who understand these emotions! What is your sons rate? 

I too am so glad I found this website. I came home one day after work and lost it when I saw my son's water bottle sitting half full on the counter. I just starred at it for the longest time and then cried my eyes out. I also came home another day and saw dishes in the sink...well my son's chore was to load and unload the dishwasher. Ugh! I lost it then too. I wanted so badly to just say his name and have him come downstairs and load the darn dishwasher. 

I was sad when my oldest left for Arizona for college, but I am going to say that having this son leave for BC was much worse. Again, I think it is because it happened so fast, and the fact that I have NO COMMUNICATION with him. 

My son is going into the Nuke Program. 

AZ2OH2IL2UT, my son is in his final 2 weeks (PIR 5/5). I know how hard it is! One thing I would suggest is to start writing letters to him now. When you get the form letter with his ship/Division, you can mail them. My son said that the letters keep them going. Give it a few days, but if you do not hear something, you csn call his recruiter. Also, if an emergency arises, call the Red Cross.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service