This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
There's a whole other group for people with kids going to OCS, but I couldn't find one specifically for daughters.  MY LO is in class 15-10, starting 07-March.  Are there any other moms of daughters either in OCS or who have recently graduated?  I'm so proud of her I could just scream! 

Lisa

Views: 338

Replies to This Discussion

sunsetmom,

While I do not know what my daughter will go through in OCS yet, I am learning quite a bit from moms like you, dmarie, and others who have daughters who have gone through OCS or are going through it now. I appreciate all the info that is shared here.
But as a mom of an enlisted daughter serving now I also understand the difficulty in realizing we can no longer protect our loved ones or fix things for them. Last year my daughter had a real difficult situation to deal with and every time I offered a suggestion on what she should do I was met with the statement "Mom, that won't do any good - this is a Navy thing" Problem was that I was in the Navy myself and I knew things were being mishandled. Not all superiors know how to manage people and I so wanted to call her superiors and chew them out. But in reality I knew I couldn't do that - not only did she have to learn to take care of it on her own, but to them I would just be considered a meddling mom. It was so hard to just sit back and watch her get hurt.
"This is a Navy thing" is a way of saying, "get out of my way." It's not about whether our advice is appropriate or not - it's more about whether we are willing to love them for who and what they are - and step back. The tension is about fixing things and getting the "right" result or accepting the fact that we've done the best we can and now our job is to show respect for them as people - which means giving them as much space as we'd give someone who demands it - a colleague, an authority figure, a stranger.

When I have tried in the past to help/protect/ my daughter I've said: " I don't want you to make the same mistakes I've made...so please take my advice." I've gone on to let her know that I expect her to make mistakes- just let them be different than the ones I made.

But it really doesn't matter because it is still about the tension of honoring them as separate human beings and our being attached because we are their moms. I know well about the frustration and anger at seeing our daughters get hurt by others and also by themselves, but I also know about the harm that meddling moms create in the long run.
FYI, this seems to apply to sons, too. Mine seems to have dropped off the planet now that he is out of OCS and finding his own way. It's very hard for me to step back now even though everyone keeps telling me to. Guess I really don't have much choice...none of us do anymore.
sunsetmom and Anna,
you've both made excellent points. I am still struggling with accepting that I cannot protect them anymore, and I have to let go. This week my two younger daughters each had "troubles" to deal with, and I, of course, am trying to swoop in and fix it for each of them. I am hoping that I am not one of those moms that can't let go!
I will keep both these posts in the back of my mind, as I continue to try to let my girls fly, each in their unique paths!
We try to avoid being helicopter parents, and as long as we are aware of it, we have hope of keeping the impulse under control.
You are right sunsetmom!! No matter how much we want to give them advise and try to keep them from making the same mistakes we made, we have to let them learn on their own also. If we don't let them figure it out, they will never be able to solve their own problems. As much as it may hurt to see them get hurt by others, as long as it isn't really serious, we have to let these little hurts happen. It is so hard to stand by and listen and not try to take control. I try now to tell my daughter "here is my advise and wisdom, you take what you want and make it work for you." I let her know that I'll always love her and I stand by her decisions because in the end they have to be her decisions.
Mothering is so hard sometimes, isn't it?? Where is that instruction manual when we need it??????
I may read instruction manuals, but if it isn't obvious it takes a great deal of practice to get it right....By then, one hopes we haven't created any harm! ;

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service