This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Hi everyone,

My name is Kristi and I'm brand new to the site... My husband Started boot-camp on Monday March 19. We are pretty sure he is headed to Penacola for A-school once he's finished with Basics as he'll be training as an Aviations electronics technician.

I am due to have our first baby on July 12, 2012 which is estimated to be few weeks into his 24-week A-school and I am trying to Navigate housing options so he can at least be around our baby girl.

Do you ladies have any advice on where I should start?

Views: 2005

Replies to This Discussion

Re READ what I wrote.. then see if EVERYTHING you said to me made any sense. Read with your eyes and mind.. not your pride. I am done with this group. I thought I could make some peoples lives a little easier, but have instead been met with some very rude individuals that seem to think THEY know it all.

First off congrats on this next step in your life!  Second...make sure you relax :~}

Now you need to worry about one step at a time, first off you can't do anything regarding housing as he hasn't even finished bootcamp and doesn't have orders to his "A" School.  Also if he is going into Aviation Electronic's there is a REALLY good chance he will be up in Great Lakes for part of his training, than go to P-cola.

NOTHING can be done with regards to houseing until he gets his orders and has reported to the "A" School.  Once at the "A" School he puts in the paperwork to live off base (if it is allowed, depends on the lenght of his "A" Schol) and he MUST meet the requirements the school sets (normally certain phases in liberty).

As far as him being around when the baby is born, odds are againts that happening.  Unless there is a life threating emergancy to you or the baby, plan on having someone else there with you for the birth (sorry that is just how it is).  Also you will hear about paternity leave, which is 10 days free leave for the daddies....the thing people don't always say is that the USN HAS to approve it!  And it can be approved for up to a year after the baby is born.

Kristi,

Please feel free to message me if you have questions, I am recently retired Chief from TSC, Great Lakes.  I looked up the school and it is only 14 weeks long, which means it isn't long enough for the USN to pay to move you and your baby to live with him there.  Keep in mind if you move down there it will be at your own cost, and if you leave things behind at your old place.  The USN will NOT pay to move your stuff from P-cola and from your home when it comes time to move you to your fist duty station (which he won't know until he is part way through school).

Keep in mind that this is an open forum and you will get all kinds of input. 

Regarding house hunting leave, the school will NOT (yes Navyhubby I called and asked a fellow Chief at the school house) give it if the school doesn't allow the student to live off base, nor will they allow paternity leave if there isn't a break in the class schedule that will allow the time off from class, with out putting the student behind.

Again.. did you actually READ what I wrote?

Please understand that not everyones experiences will dictate what you might have to do or go through. They are just what THEY had to do in their specific situations. My advise and opinions are solely based upon this statement.

I sent you an email and I also wanted to make sure I posted here. Contact the Housing Office for sure. You didn’t put when they should contact the office…you just put for them to contact the office, the office can't nor will do anything with out orders and if the Sailor isn't entiled to live off base.  There are many vacant homes where I live right now so there shouldn’t be a problem for you guys getting right in here. Do you even know if they have a school before getting down there?  Also the school her husband may be going to may not allow him to live off base, which in turn means they can’t’ get base housing. When my family and I showed up they had several keys ready for us so we could pick one out and we moved in the same day. Here is some more info and the number for the housing office.

If you choose to live on base you may contact the housing office at (850) 452-4412. Be aware there may be a waiting period. The NAS Pensacola housing office will keep your name on the waiting list and contact you when your permanent housing is available.  Can’t get on the list without orders to the school, and the school must be a certain length for them to be able to get base housing. Make sure to reserve temporary lodging for you and your family prior to your PCS to NAS Pensacola. Once you arrive and sign in to NAS Pensacola you will receive 10 days of permissive TDY to look at your housing options and make a decision. If the school starts right away, NO they don’t get housing leave, also if they aren’t entitled to live off base, they do not get the housing leave.

He could most likely still get his house hunting leave once he checks in so that would give him time with the baby as well. Again they don’t get housing leave, if they are not entitled to live off base, and/or if the school starts right away.  I love it here and I am sure you would too. The community I live in has coldesacs, many little play areas for kids, and three lakes. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Sorry for the drama on your thread, Kristi.   

Angie won't steer you wrong, she understands training commands and the hurry up and wait for information scenario very well.   She's right, get him through bootcamp, see how the Navy splits up his training, and decide how best to proceed.   

Thank you.

I was operating on the understanding that the school was 24 weeks long.

In your opinion, is it worth my contacting pensacola housing for more information?

You can contact them...BUT...with the school being less than the required lenght for him to live out of the barracks.  His orders will say that (when he gets them), and that is what housing looks at to see if you can be put on the list to get a house.

Reality is there is nothing you can do until he gets his orders for his school, and at that point if the school still 14 weeks...than the housing will not allow you to move in there.  But as was said above you can, at your own cost, move down there and live in a apt down there....BUT...the school house does NOT have to allow him to move off base with you.

Recommend you take one step at a time...first let him finish bootcamp...than see what his next school is before you worry about moving in with him.  You need to stay focused on you and the baby...and understand yes it may be some time before you two are able to live together, and yes it may be months before he has time off to see the baby. 

Hi Kristi!  Welcome to Navy life :)  I bet you can't wait to be with your Sailor!  Well I just left pcola and my husband and I are about to PCS to Mayport.  When my husband graduated boot camp, I moved to Pcola a month after.  However, I did it on my own dime.  The Navy will not pay to move you to Pcola for your hubby's A school.  So I rented a uhaul and my parents helped me move.  No matter what your husbands rate is...he will have to apply for brown bag chit.  This is a chit that allows him to live with you and not in the barracks.  My husband and I did not live together for the first 7 months I was in pcola. (I was there from June-March!) He couldn't get approved for Brown Bag untill he finished his aircrew, rss, and then moved to A school.  However since your husband is a AE it will be different b/c he just has A school.  For brown bag.....he will have to apply like I said before and it can take up to a month to get approved.  It always usually gets approved on the A school side but it takes time b/c of all the paper work.  However...since you are pregnant your situation may get approved faster than others.

Also like the other people have said....all sailors have to phase up who are out of boot camp when they get to Pcola!  Doesn't matter who they are.  They have three phases.  And I saw a link on here so check it out.  While in phase one he will not be able to stay with you.  Phase two he can stay weekends if he gets a chit approved...etc.  So please read the link about phases b.c that is very important.  Also on the A school side...before he gets brown bag...He will have to sign out with a BUDDY!  There is no way he cant!  You can be his buddy b/c you are his wife...you will have to go in the barracks and sign him out and then bring him back and sign him in.  if you cant sign him out then he will have to sign out with another sailor and they have to stay together...and sign back in together.

Housing....well honestly if he is in A school and you are not on his orders I doubt you will be able to get base housing.  However there are plenty of nice apartments and such around the base. And like Anit M said...A school student can't get house hunting leave. 

We lived in Austin Wood apartments.  They are by the back gate...about 2 mins away.  Only 10 mins away from Perdido Key beach and very close to Target and Walmart.  Great area and the apartments are the most military friendly ones there!  Almost everyone is military in the complex.  And if you a military you are automatically approved for an apartment!  You don't have to pay and application fee.  You  just pay the deposit (which is refundable).  They have 1,2,and 3 bedrooms.  Also the Navy hospital, comissary, nex are 10 mins away too (on hwy 98)!  Country wood apartments are across the street from Austin wood and they are nice as well.  I think those actually have washer dryer in unit and include cable...but they dont allow pets. Thats why we chose Austin Wood b/c he have two dogs.  Also on Hwy 98 there are some more apartments that are close to the base.  My friend lived in Crystal Lake and they had a two bedroom/ two bathroom for under 700 and those apartments come with cable and internet too!

I know this is all a lot to take in...but this site is great and all these people do give wonderful advise!  If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask!  Everyone is here to help you!  I hope this helps you some.

Hi All - I have a follow-up question on this. So my husband is currently in P-cola for A-School (22 weeks, IT, could be more because of C-School) and we're planning for me to move there (on our own, off-base private housing) but we still want him to live in the barracks (not live with me) since it's more convenient for him when reporting/classing/muster etc. We're ok with just seeing each other on weekends (since one roundtrip airfare from LA is just about the same price of a one-month rent!). 1) Would he be required to live with me if i move there? 2) Should we change our address for BAH if I move there?

Thanks in advance for your reply! :)

This is tricky.  He must ask permission to Live Ashore.brown bag, but he cannot be both a geographic bachelor with a barracks room and pull BAH for you nearby (there is a transition period).  You must NOT live in Florida and pull Cali BAH, that is fraud and grounds for discharge on fraud charges.   He can't have it both ways, no matter how convenient.

When he gets to his school, he must ask ASAP what the policy on your BAH and his brown bag status will be.  I don't know how P-cola times it for the married students, I do know you do qualify for a paid move.  Perhaps you should call housing (the number is easy to find) and see if they can give you the basic facts, I am positive they have dealt with this thousands of times and have quick answers for you. You can talk to housing even if you only qualify for offbase rental, they help make sure you have a good lease.  Use them, they are a resource.

Oh, ok. So basically, if I move to Pcola, he would be required to move with me? 

Thanks so much Anti M! :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service