This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
I thought it would be nice to start a discussion for our children leaving the week of October 25th 2010.  Welcome everyone.  Kathy   

Views: 1573

Replies to This Discussion

Heidi'smom...I so relate to that empty feeling inside! I don't even know how to describe it to others...and empty feeling, yet it feels like something is ripping the muscles in my chest right apart! I'm taking Nick to the airport on Weds and then driving back down on Thursday to wait with him until his flight leaves.
Hi Mari, (Juanita?) I am so glad to see you here. We can be a hard place to find. I am so proud of all the moms and young people that have left today and will leave the next few days. There are wonderful gals here that would be glad to answer questions and just be here for you. Hugs. Kathy
Good afternoon to all my wonderful Navy mom friends...
Sorry I have been MIA this past weekend. After my dear husband rolled his eyes at me and later walked by me at the computer he said "Well...why don't you just spend time finding more ways to worry on that site?" I had to admit he was right! DANG! So I had to take a break. (I did look in on all of you once each night just to make sure you were all still here.) My Sean is older (26) and we needed him to move on with his life. A long story. I had to remember "Better the Navy than my Basement". A long and painful story. So here I am almost three hours post Sean moving forward and I think I'm real O.K. with his choice to go into the Navy. They have a lot of work to do with him. He is so smart and that has been what has frustrated us so much over the years. I'm not going to celebrate him leaving...I'm celebrating his moving forward. And that's what we all need to do. Celebrate our children moving forward. And life goes on....
Betsy! How awesome! Sounds like all if going according to plan!
Nancy
YAY Betsy. I know that is such a relief!!! Susan
Betsy, That is great. Wow, direct flight. He made good time. Does he sound excited? Kathy
That is so exciting, Betsy. I look forward to my call
Wendi
Oh I will stay in touch with all of you. It has been nice getting to know other mom's going through the same thing. I can't wait for PIR so I can meet up with the mom's on here. Also, I posted a few pic's. Sean is the one on the left and his brother in the middle with GF Charlene. Love to you and I am so excited for your son.
Phoebe,

I will go check the pictures now. I can't wait to see your Sean.

Thank you. Adam has already updated his FB to say he is in Great Lakes. lol He will sure miss that cell phone when he has to send it back.

Betsy
Hi Phoebe, I know what you mean about celebrating their moving forward. I also know how addicting this place can be. Everyone needs to take a break now in then but keep in touch so we can talk and catch up. Hugs. Kathy
Phoebe....moving forward, I love that....I will keep that near and dear to me over the next few days...Elizabeth
Well, I am home from MEPS. The girls and I drove into Charlotte and made it there by 8:30am. My husband is working 2 hours away and he also drove in and got there at the same time as us. Drew had already done the physical and was just sitting there. He seemed a little different to me, then I found out that he had woken up at 3:30am and wasn't able to sleep anymore.

We had a nice couple of hours with him then they did the Swearing In at about 10:30. That was so nice. An officer from the Army led it and he was very personable and told some jokes and you could feel the tension rise from us parents. I got a lot of pictures and I was so proud of him. Kaitlyn my middle daughter started crying at that point and hasn't hardly stopped since. I made it through that no problem. Could be that I had the camera and was busy getting good pics, LOL.

Then we went out and grabbed lunch for us and Drew. He was surprised that we were able to find one of his favorites that he hadn't had in awhile and we enjoyed eating together. At that point I was still ok and ate some too. Some of the other Moms weren't eating just sitting and watching their children eat and crying. I got a few looks that seemed to say"I can't believe she can eat right now!" LOL What they don't know is I eat when I'm stressed, hence the 20 lbs that need to come off. During lunch we had great conversation with the Army Officer and he actually gave Kaitlyn tips on college. His degree is in music performance (we were surprised too) and Kaitlyn is going to study vocal performance next year when she goes to college. My husband even made arrangements to have him come speak at his school!

After lunch we just sat in the room waiting and talking. We got to know the family in front of us whose son was headed to Parris Island for the Marines. Wow - 13 weeks of boot camp and all they could take with them was drivers license, soc sec card and $20. I felt blessed that ours isn't that bad! When they called them to all go in the room we knew leaving was happening soon and I started crying, Kaitlyn was still pretty much crying and my youngest started. He was in that room so long that eventually we stopped and waited some more. When it was time to leave we had to wait outside and they all marched out in a line. He was able to hug all of us and tell us goodbye. The last I saw of him he was in the van headed to the airport.

He is flying right now and lands in about 30 minutes. He sent several text messages ohhing and ahhing over the USO. He said everything is free! Food and free book and the chairs are very comfortable LOL. I got a kick out of that and am glad that he enjoyed himself. I am hoping he is getting some sleep on the plane, its going to be a long couple of days.

Talk to you ladies tonight. Susan

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service