This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
I thought it would be nice to start a discussion for our children leaving the week of October 25th 2010.  Welcome everyone.  Kathy   

Views: 1553

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Heidi, welcome. It is nice to meet you. Great, another cryptology rating. My son's rate is CTR. 22 days until our kids leave and I am stressing too. I am also hoping he gets two weeks off after BC. When I mentioned it to him he said he would definitely want to come home for Christmas. I was afraid he would want to stay there and have a white Christmas. lol. I look forward to sharing our children's navy journey with you. Have a good day. Kathy
I just read about the suspension of the PT at the dep meetings. My prayers go out to the family of the recruit. Kathy
Will be thinking of you :-) Have fun and enjoy the moment!
I hope your party is going well....let us all know how things go, I am having a party for my son on the 16th
Awww that sounds so cool!! Plus being on clearance made it a definite must have I'm sure:) Let us know how it goes for your youngest! Susan
Susan - I will post a note about Drew's ASVABs as soon as we know. :-)
Wait, I'm confused Lori, do you already have a Sailor and your second son is the one leaving in Oct?? I thought Adam is your first born and the one heading out this month?

Kathy, I'm so glad you and the family get to be there for Brandon. Really, the first swearing in is nothing special. It's this second one that's the bigger deal, not just because it kicks off this BIG transition for all of you, but also because once he raises that right hand at that short ceremony, he has truly committed himself to his voluntary choice and contract and Ma Navy takes control of all that happens to him from there!

Prior to that day, any Recruit can walk away at any time with no penalties (other then it may be hard to reenlist should they change their minds again and want back in) they call the shots and mom still has some control. :) No one would come after them (legally) because they don't show up for something. After you raise your right hand at MEPS, the day before shipping, you must obey all orders and fulfill your contract, or face the consequences! So, it's both a neat, emotion filled memory and a very serious last step.
Gotcha Lori! They have a ballcap ceremony at the end of Battle Stations (about a week before they graduate) where the SRs exchange their Recruit Ballcaps for their new Navy ballcaps. It's an emotional and meaningful moment for all of them, a symbol that they have now earned the right to be called US Navy Sailors. (Makes that "I'm a Sailor now call so special for you too, then you can officially call yourself a Navy Mom!) Until then, you are right, they are only Recruits. :)

All the best to son #2, let us know how Drew does! Btw: there is at least one, if not two groups for Moms of more than one Sailor. Just for future reference. :-)
Lori...you have 2 boy's going Navy? Wow that is awesome, we just found out that my husband's older son is going to finish college and join as well, not to mention my 13 year old told me he was going in the Navy, I tell them all to slow down and let me get use to their brother joining and leaving.... :o)
Thanks for including me Lori. :) Just an Fyi though, it's possible that not all the Moms on this discussion will end up in your PIR Group. For now, they are your first N4M friends from the Oct group, the first you connected with here, and that makes them extra special. =) Some may end up in your actual graduation (PIR) group, or even your same Division, but some may not. Recruits can leave a day or two apart and end up in two different TGs (Training Groups), with graduations a week apart! I've seen it happen. It's never good to guesstimate or count on your PIR date before that Official Navy Form Letter arrives. Hoping you all are part of the Dec 17th crew though.

LOL Elisabeth, talk about your head spinning! :)~ Hey, maybe you should look into a local Naval Cadet/ROTC program for that 13 year old and let him get a taste of what life as a Sailor would be like?
Angie - thanks for the background; yes, I do understand that we may not all end up in the same PIR for multiple reasons. I also know that Adam's PIR may not be December 17 and I'm not counting on that or making any plans until I hear that from him. I'm adding friends so as I move forward in the process I don't lose moms I'm meeting. There may be a time in my life as a N4M I want to check on someone to see how they are doing. I expect this forum or discussion group will sunset as we go to the next stage of our recruits experience. Have a good day. Lori
Lori and all my October mom's....I have sent friend request to the October mom's as well i would really love to check back with everyone and see how the Navy experience is going. All of you are very special to me with all the wonderful support, words of widsom and encouragement, its just nice to know there are other mom's out there feeling the same way or maybe have a different perspective on things.....Thank you to all of you for being there for me when I felt like my head was spinning in circles ;o)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service