This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Hi All,

My son was just sworn in and starts OCS on Oct 3, 2010. Someone please fill me in on what to expect.

I'm thrilled, very proud and a nervous wreck!

Rosecan

Views: 316

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rosemarie,
My son is leaving in less than 3 weeks for OCS. He lives in Ohio
and I live in NE Florida. I have the same feelings you do being so far
away. He is waiting on the recruiter too about travel arrangements.
He has to report by a certain time (per written orders) on the Sunday, reporting day.
Not sure about the holidays, I wonder too. Where are you in Florida?
Where is your son going? My son leaves this Saturday, August 21, 2010 for Newport. I am in Chillicothe Missouri.
Yes it is an exciting, proud time for us as moms, watching our
sons grow into the men they are destined to be but at the same time
filled with all kinds of other emotions. It is great to have a safe place to
share all those feelings.
Hi, my son is at OCS now. I just joined N4M this week and it is has been such a great support. It was hard to see him go and is difficult not hearing from him but from what others have said on this site "no news is good news.". My son got a reservation at one of the hotels right on the navy base and arrived the day before. His orders said he was to check in at 11 or 12 Sunday however when he arrived he had a note in his room saying to check in no later than 8 am Sunday morning. He does not have a car up there although I know he would have liked to. He brought just the required items on the list plus a small travel iron he was hoping they would let him keep. He originally purchased white socks with gray at the toe and heal but he ended up returning them figuring he better find only all white.There were a lot OCS candidates that stayed at the hotel and they ended up meeting up and going out to dinner the night before. If I can answer any questions for those of you who have sons and daughters leaving soon, let me know.
Thanks so much for your info. As of yesterday, my son will be flying to RI
and arriving on Saturday sometime. We have lived all over the USA and world so I know he can navigate all
of this, not sure if we still on base that night or within the area. Sounds like a great idea to meet
other candidates that night. I'm sure they are all feeling the same emotions. He won't have his car with him.
He is just wondering about the cell phone? If he brings it (he knows he can't use it for a while), will
they store it or does he send it home or to his gf's and then later he can get it? He is just bringing the
required stuff, no more. Again, thank you for your support.
Hi Gretchen,
Yes, my son did take his cell phone. He was under the impression that they will store it and then when they earn the privilege to use it they will get it back. Also, tell your son to bring a prepaid phone card. If they are able to call before they can get their cell phones, he will need this. We drove my son to Newport and stayed at the Best Western Mainstay which is right down the road from the base. The name of the place he stayed on base was called something like The Chalet. Interestingly his reservations were for another hotel on base and when we went to drop him off they told him that all the OCS candidates were being moved to The Chalet, which is another hotel on base. I'm sure this week will be filled with lots of emotions. I'm happy to be able to help answer any questions or just chat as others have for me.
Thanks so much. I will pass that info on to him. He has a phone card and lots
of stamps. Since I live in FL and he is in OH, he will be making arrangements for
his arrival. He tells me I'll figure out Mom! I know he will, he's been on his own for
3 years now. It's all kinds of mixed feelings as he gets closer to leaving. Thank you
for acknowledging that. I would love to drop him off but I'm sure that would
be difficult too. Plus I am here and work full time, need to leave days open for
graduation and flying up there for that great celebration. Thank you for answering questions
and your support. Go Navy!
Hi, My son starts OCS August 20th in Newport. Where is your son going to be? and congrats..
Congrats to you and your son too! My son is leaving on Saturday.
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site... my son is beginning OCS in Newport on August 22 and I'm so glad to find this place for support and to learn from those who have more experience in this! I think they're training us as parents during this time as well as our LO's! I go up and down, from excited and confident to nervous! I can't promise him I won't worry but I can promise I will pray whenever I think of him!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service