This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Today has been so hard. I have tried to hide my feelings, but I can't stop the overwhelming feelings. My son decided a long time ago this was his career choice. I have store by him and provided support and encouragement. I truly do want him to be happy. But today, I can't stop the tears. I have one week left with him and I am trying to be strong. I keep thinking how much this will change our family. I worry about his younger siblings and how this will affect them. They are 8 and 9 years younger and love their big brother so much. I know I need to stay strong and refrain from crying especially when he leaves. But I do not know how I can prevent this. I feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster. What is the best way to get through this? How do you let them go? How do you say goodbye. The thought of no communication for 3 weeks is hard. One last question....how many weeks do you count out on the calendar to plan for graduation....I have heard various things. I was told 9 weeks (one week of processing and 8 weeks of actual boot camp. But I also heard 7 to 9. My husband has to plan
His vacation out as soon as possible to get approved. Thanks and I am so glad I found this forum because I need lots of support to get through this.

Views: 1041

Replies to This Discussion

Knicksmom, as Paula said, he can get one at the NEX (he may also have one included in his Ditty Bag), but it is good if he has one ahead of time that is already activated to save time and/or the free ones from http://callsforrecruits.org/.

Be sure to check out out the discussion, Things to Do in the Last Month Before Your Future Sailor Leaves for....

Knicksmom....I know how you feel. This board has really helped me though. Between the support of the other moms and the information I have been able to read, I do have a little more peace. I think sometimes we feel like we are the only ones going through this, but as you can see there ate many people walking (or have walked) in the same shoes. On the prepaid calling cards, the recruiter said they would need one to call home. He said they have them at the training center or we could send one. I couldn't find one, but I was reading in the newbie group about this man who will email you some out if the kindness of his heart. I emailed him and he sent me 8 via email within 10 minutes. He is a veteran and doesn't want any recruit to be without one. You should email him if you couldn't find one. You are in my thoughts. Stay strong! I know I will cry a lot the next two days but gonna try to be strong and show support.
Cvs has them :)

Just saw your post.  My son last week for BC.  I wish I had known about this site months ago to help me prepare.  This forum is great! 

Hi Michelle, I am feeling exactly like you. My son left today for Great Lakes. Our son's P.I.R. will probably be the same, I think? I have cried and cried, all in front of his 10 year old sister who is having a hard time too. Everyone keeps telling me how proud I should be. I am sooo proud of him, I'm just gonna miss him and I'm not quite ready to let him go.
I totally understand dtajeb. When my son left yesterday it was extremely hard. We were given 5 minutes to say goodbye. We had been told we had 30 minutes so it was hard. I couldn't do anything but cry especially when the two younger boys started to cry. Tyler ( my son that left ) fell apart at the same time. I could see the fear in his eyes and he just didn't seem the same. This has been his dream for some time but I think when they have them sitting all day long waiting to swear in and the their flights....it gives them too much time to think. I wanted to grab him and run out. But I knew I couldn't. I am super proud of him and have always been his biggest supporter but I am still not ready to let him go. But now that the first night is over, today has been somewhat better. I have teared up a few times but cried a lot less. I am trying to be strong for him and for the younger boys that are watching me. Just try to take it one day at a time. That's what my son and I agreed to o. I think it will get us
through. I look forward to the box! I hope you find some peace especially with
help from the people on this board
Oh my gosh, you're making me cry again. The same thing for us today, we only got about five minutes with him before he left. But we were pleasantly surprised that we got to see him last night and that he could leave the hotel. He was in great spirits last night and today. I talked to him a couple times. He called from Atlanta . He should be arriving in Great Lakes any minute now. I just can't imagine not seeing his beautiful face everyday. Btw, my name is Tracy. My son is also going to A school in Pensacola, not sure what his rating is called. Avionics Tech? This is helping me:)
Thanks for replying....
Hi ladies. Hang in there. I felt the same way last August. I know exactly how your feeling. If you have any questions let me know. :0) just know your not alone. My son is in Japan so I still have bad days!!

Tracy you should get that 30 second call tonight. It's quick and scripted If you tell him you love him and he don't say it back its because he can't.

Hi Michelle, you are not alone.  I am in the same situation as you.  Exactly one week plus one day until he leaves.  We have been waiting a little over a year for this date.  That's the hardest part.  I feel like the sand clock is running faster and faster.  I try to smile and be encouraging when I am around him, and then at night, I let it all out and cry like crazy.  It helps me to stay positive around him and to put the tears on hold.  I sneak in lots of hugs and try to memorize the feel of my arms around his. I tell myself, this is not forever.  He will be coming home.  Yes, it is a big change and no, I don't like change.  But I can't stop time and I can't change what is happening.  So, I want my time with him to be pleasant, positive, and uplifting for both of us.  Sometimes, I practice deep breathing, or just think about something else.  You can do this.  This is what you raised him for, to be successful and happy.  In the movie "Australia," the boy goes on a "walkabout" with his grandfather to begin his journey into manhood.  That's what I'm looking at this as, my SR's "walkabout."  Let the tears come in private and make the most of the time you have left.  I'm right with you.

Ladywolf....I understand your pain. Trust me, it gets better. It's been one week today since my SR left and while the tears still come almost daily, it is better than it was before he left. Now, I just take it one day at a time and long for the things that are to come (the box, the letter, etc). N4M has truly helped me through this. You are very right....stay positive in front of him but take time to cry it out in private. You are in my thoughts. Navy Mom hugs for you. Take it one minute at a time. We are all here for you.

Hi Michelle, I just realized I responded to an older post of yours.  I am glad to hear you are feeling better.  I am glad to know you made it through his departure.  That gives me encouragement.  Knicksmom, we got our calling cards through the callsforrecruits.org.  Great thing!  It's not too late, he can still send you some and you can write the info to your recruit.  I too, will try to be strong today, and cry tonight!

I cried when it came time to say goodbye. I tried to be strong. When my younger boys started to cry it made my SR cry then I started and I turned around and the processing lady at MEPS was crying to. She said it broke her heart and she normally didn't cry. She told me on the way out....your son knows you love him and support him. That helped me walk out. I did break down in the parking lot. But trust me, I think it's a normal feeling. You will make it, but I know it is so hard. You will be in my thoughts and prayers today.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service