This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

My son left to BT on Tuesday.  I missed his "I'm here" call because it came in at 1:13 a.m. California time.  I have not been able to stop crying and being sad.  We are a single parent family and we are very close.  Any advice to help me is so welcome.  Thank you.

Views: 1100

Replies to This Discussion

I did great at MEPS during swearing in. I didn't cry. Then after when he hug me tight and said "Now don't cry Momma. But I wanted to say that I love you more then anything in this world. Noone could ask for a better mom. You made me who I am and I am going to be awesome. The best the Navy has ever had. That's because of you. I love you." Well, then I broke down like a baby. How could I not.???

After that, how could you not break down!  I would have been a puddle on the floor!  He asked me and my family not to go to MEPS.  I am glad that I didn't.  I don't think I could have done it.  I think it was hard for him too. 

I hadn't cried. It all felt so surreal. But, on the way to MEPS, out of nowhere, I started balling like a baby and I couldn't keep the tears from gushing down my cheeks. I drove like that for about 15 minutes. Then it stopped and I dried up for the ceremony. I know it would have bothered him alot to see me cry. I did go to the airport to see him off. That really helped me alot. I sat with him and 5 other recruits that were leaving with him. None of them had their moms there. I got to know them pretty well over the 3-1/2 hours. It was really nice. I got a picture of all of them together at the airport and they all gave me a hug. It made me feel so much better about him leaving.

That is so awesome!  Now when you go to PIR, you can cheer for them as well.  You are a good Momma!  Well, I have to say, this has helped me today.  Thank you so much MLR!  I have been home alone with my dog all week.  I visit my friends and neightbors to help me out.  I go back to work on Tuesday and that will keep me busy.

I had to laugh when you mentioned your dog. I have a dog, too - and sometimes I think he's my angel because he's been such a comfort. My g/f brought her cat to visit with us, too. My dog has always wanted 'his own' cat. He's never been around one before. They are getting along really well and they are so much fun to watch. All these distractions a great gift right now.

It is a distraction, but not as much as watching your poochie with a kitty.  LoL, that your dog has wanted it's own cat!  My dog can deal with cats, but does not love other dogs so much.  Chihuahua.  Enough said.

I didn't cry until the airport....unfortunately he was the only recruit leaving that day so he was all alone and I felt like I was abandoning him....it was awful!!

OMGOSH! How wonderful! What a blessing to hear those beautiful words!

Oh my gosh, that's beautiful. Makes me cry. My son left may 9th. I have my good days and bad. I'm happy one minute and the next I could have tears welling in my eyes. I miss him so much. Just wanna hear from him. Good luck to your son and stay strong.
Write him when your lonely and sad it's good therapy and stay on this site it really helps my daughter's PIR is June 7th and I am having a hard time waiting to leave for this I got two letters Thursday from her and everything is going great for her she has had her ups and downs but I get happy letters from her and I just fall to my knees and cried so its a real emotional roller coaster I can't believe I've made it this far without my heart falling out lol but I have and you will too it will be ok she's my best friend so I know how you feel

Thank you so much Lisa.  This is truly encouraging!  That's funny what you said about emotional roller coaster, I asked my best friend last night if it is possible to have a heart full of pride but yet a bit broken!  Today, being on this site has help tremendously!!!

Being sad is okay, it will improve over time. He will call again. Hopefully, he will call on your cell phone. I told my son to call my cell phone only before he went to BC. I carried my cell everywhere, and put it in my bra when I was working in the yard. Some calls he will might be tired and tell you he hates it there, or tells you it is easier than he thought. The greatest call is the "I am a sailor call" - he will be tired - will probably not tell you he is a sailor, will assume you just know it, since he has called! He will more than likely, just stay on the phone to hear your voice from home and want to hear about your plans if you are able to attend PIR (we scheduled with Southwest into Midway - so we could cancel at the last moment if necessary without a penalty). Time seems to drag on for the time he is there, and then the last week flies by- hang in there- cry if you need to, and go on N4M everyday for support from these wonderful women here!

My sailor is my only child and we are very close and it hurts, but the pride you feel for what he is doing is unbelievable, be supportive! Everyday write a letter, put a small number on the envelope so he can open them in order. I wrote 1 or 2 small funny stories (from e-mails or wherever I could find them), in every letter. My sailor shared them with the guys in the racks near him at night. The guy below him in the racks, sent me a note to keep the stories coming, so I wrote him also! They live for the encouraging letters. My prayers are heading to both you and your SR!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service