Hello. Our son entered DEP last August as he started his senior year in high school. He graduated, attended all DEP meetings, got into shape and was eager to leave this past July for boot camp.
10 days before his scheduled departure, the dreaded call from his recruiter. His chosen rate was reclassified and no longer available. He would have to chose a new one. He was given 10 minutes via phone to decide. He held off and went into recruiter's office. He was given only one choice-- HM which he does not want. He was told to sign for this rate but they (recruiters) would keep searching and waiting for another rate to open. Fast Forward to present day... Still no word... son was told that there is a small chance he could get switched to an aviation rate ( not sure which one) b/c another recruit wants an HM rate.
My husband and I are frustrated for our son who has done everything that was asked of him by the US Navy recruiters. I understand the needs of the Navy change and with the budget crisis along with the presidential election, its an uncertain time. However, our son is becoming more frustrated at the lack of commitment on the part of his recruiters ( he has 2) that had originally been shown.
I know that the recruiters will not speak with us regarding our son since he is 18. But do we have any recourse as his parents to help him move the process along? He is considering going to speak with an Air Force recruiter to see if that will help,. We know that if he cuts his current contract with the it will be another 6 months before he can do anything else in the Navy. We know of another young man that went through the same thing but had a congressman make a call and his contract was "cut" within a day ( said young man will now be going into the Air Force). Is it worth going that far?
We have one son currently active duty on a sub and did not have any problems from boot camp, sub school, A school and now at his duty station. Son #2 just got caught at the wrong place a the wrong time I guess. Any helpful advice would be most appreciated. We haven't contacted anyone yet. Trying to let our son handle this but it's going nowhere. What to do?