This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Okay, this discussion is for ANY NUKE Mom/wife/gf/partner/family member that has a recipe, tip or

real life experience with balls.  Now, stop that!  I'm talking about CAKE BALLS.

Feel free to add a link, favorite website, favorite list of liquors to use, pictures of projects, etc.

*****THIS IS ALL YOURS, SO HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!*****

Views: 762

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Penny, sorry I am a bit late in responding. The chocolate needs to be between 96-98 degrees for it to work well for you. You don't want it hotter or cooler than that, it will cause you problems. If you can keep it at a steady temp, it will work great for you.
Okay, I am working on my cake balls for the final photo shoot and judging contest !!!!  hahahahaha  Made funfetti dipped in white chocolate and strawberry dipped in dark chocolate.  Turned out okay.  Everybody said they were delicious so that's what counts.  Wondering who all is in on the cake ball making venture?

What did you end up mixing into the cake crumbs Penny?

I'm going to make some more after the ones I just made this weekend are all gone.  Don't want to have too much laying around for us to eat them. ha.  I am going to have to exercise every single day now, rather than just every other day.

I am trying out possibilities for the funfetti cake balls since I have been asked to make 400 of them for a wedding in July.  The bride wants simply funfetti with white chocolate on the outside so my first try at it was simply a funfetti cake mix (won't do that again as the batter does not turn out white, instead it appears more greyish) and then mixed in 1/2 tub of vanilla frosting.  For the wedding I think I'll make a homemade silk meringue buttercream.  Then dipped in a white chocolate ganache I picked up from a local grocery store's bakery dept.

For the strawberry, I mixed up a strawberry cake mix, stirred in the other 1/2 tub of vanilla frosting and then added in the extra white chocolate ganache I had left over from dipping the funfetti balls.  Ended up that people would get little morsely bites of the white chocolate and they loved it.  Then those I dipped in the Chocolate Truffle Ganache that I also picked up from a local bakery in a grocery store.  These ended up being the favorite at our big celebration welcoming my son home from A-school as well as his 23rd birthday which was this past Thursday.

I don't have the chocolate tempering thing down pat to where I get just the right amount on when dipping  - not too thick and not too thin. Maybe next time I'll try real chocolate and see if I can get it right but hate to waste the chocolate or ruin a good cake ball.

Although I have made these several times, I still have to try them.  People who try them say they're good but with all the stuff that go into it, I'm scared to try one. I do love a good chocolate---after all, they keep the Dementors away---but the cake, the frosting and the chocolate coating, it just seem too much in one little bite-size piece.  (that's probably the dietitian in me talking.  LOL)

But I love to bake and these allow me to be creative so I'm always in the look out for ways to make them better.  I have used the candy melts mostly cuz I find them easier to work with.  I really wanted to get one of those plug in types to melt chocolate (like fondue makers) but reviews are not all that good.  If anyone has suggestions on how to make this process simpler, do tell.

And yes, the most important part is chilling the balls prior to dipping.  If not adequately chilled, the balls just disintegrate in the melted chocolate and make a complete mess. 

I look forward to reading more suggestions on this.  Good thread, swim!

bahaha. "They keep the dementors away" :)

P.S. I love those cake balls on the ice cream cones. They look delicious!! :)

I made these for my 5 year old nephew's birthday last month; cake balls atop mini ice cream cones.  Could have picked a better colored coating but I used what I had on hand.
Attachments:

soooo cute!  what a great idea!  please send me a dozen right away.. :)

For those that don't have chocolate tempering machines, you can still make great chocolate and cake pops. All you need is some candy melts as they are called. You can buy them in Michael's, Joanne Fabrics, Meijer, Wal-Mart stores. You can either melt them in the microwave at half power for 30 seconds at a time so it doesn't burn or you can use an electric skillet. Place water in the skillet with your bowl, alumimum bowl and once the chocolate candy melts are melted turn your temp down to low and this works very well. This is the way that I have done chocolates for years until I bought our tempering machines for our retail shoppe. I have been making chocolates for over 30 years, self-taught and still continue to learn.

Now, I am off to make a bride-to-be a special cake pop arrangement!!! I'll be back later tonight as I will also be doing baseball conessions for the double header games this afternoon! Happy Cake Pop making!! Oh, I am doing chocolate with chocolate frosting dipped into white, milk and dark chocolates decorated with red and black sugars as these are her colors. Then I will place them in a small flower pot that I bought at the dollar store, wrap it in plastic with a ribbon and it is ready to go. My friend ordered it for a friend of hers that is getting married in July. Heck, who knows where this will lead. Not sure if this bride-to-be has decided on her cake or not. Hmmmm............ So,  I will take photos and post on Sym's Chocolates on FB.

Ladies!!!! I have posted pictures of the awesome "Mini Cupcake" cake Pops and the "Africa" shaped cookies on Sym's Chocolates!! Take a look and tell me what you think! Thanks!!!

Sharon, could u give me the link or website address again?

thanks!

Hi swim!! It is Sym's Chocolates on Facebook.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service