PRIVATE MESSAGING AND POSTING COMMENTS
1. Each GROUP
, such as ours has a Comment Wall
where any member can post but you do have to join the group first. You can also add a comment to any of the topics under the GROUP'S Discussion Forum. ANYONE CAN SEE THESE COMMENTS
(members and non-members of the group)
2. On N4M BLOGS and FORUMS
(from the Menubar with the tabs), you can start a BLOG or Discussion or post a comment (or a reply to another comment) on a blog or forum topic. ANYONE CAN SEE THESE COMMENTS
(no membership required).
3. ON INDIVIDUAL PERSONAL PAGES
. You can see the comments posted to a member's page as well as profile information, photos, videos unless that person has set their profile to PRIVATE. You can click on "Settings" under your name subtitle or you can go to "MY PAGE" to change your profile setting. If a member's profile is set to PRIVATE, only your "friends" can see read the comments. Click on my photo, you'll see what a private profile looks like. If I post a comment a member's page (we are not friends) and the member replies to me, she/he will be able to see the thread by not the rest of my personal info, photos, videos.
4. The N4M EMAIL SYSTEM
. If you want to send a message which only you and another friend (or friends) will see, you can do that by using the N4M emailing. On the upper right hand corner, you'll see your name followed by "Inbox", "Alerts", "Friends" and "Settings"
. If you want to compose a message, click on "Inbox", click on "Compose", select the friend you want to send a message to, writ your message and click on send. You will also see next the "Friends" is you have any request. If you do, click on that and accept (if you want to - keeping in mind that any of your friends will be able to view your comment wall.)
NOTE REGARDING THE PRIVATE MESSAGING.
1. If you send a pm to a friend, a notification will appear in your REGULAR email system in your inbox. The text (partial text) of the message will appear. YOU CAN NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE VIA YOUR REGULAR EMAIL SYSTEM.
You must login to the N4M site, go to "Inbox", open the message, then reply.
2. If you get a group message and you "Reply to all" then anyone on recipient list of the original email will get this reply (even if you are not friends with that person). You can reply to JUST the sender. in fact, it's preferable to REPLY to just the sender, rather than REPLY TO ALL.
NOTIFICATIONS WHEN YOU GET A MESSAGE OR COMMENTS.
1. If you belong to a group or have posted a comment to a blog or forum, you will get notifications on you REGULAR email system (inbox). This can result in a LOTS of emails messages. To prevent this, you can click on "Stop Following" on any group you belong to or on any blog/forum that you have posted a comment. "Stop Following" doesn't mean you are leaving the group - just discontinuation of the message notifications. There is no "Stop Following" to private messages from your "friends"; therefore, please be judicious in sending out cute graphics messages such as "Happy Friday", "Have a great weekend." etc. It's tedious to delete and therefore annoying to get those messages in your regular inbox, N4M inbox and your on your Blackberry.
2. You can also change your email notifications within SETTINGS
- Click on SETTINGS (located on the upper right - part of your status box)
- Click on EMAIL (located on the left)
- The are six categories: Navy For Moms Messages, Requests & Invitations, Contents & Members, Moderation, Activity & Turn Off All Emails
If turn off notification on messages from groups, that means you will not get any notified when there is a message on ANY of the groups to which you belong. If you want to get notifications from one or two of your groups (assuming you belong to many), then don't check the option but click on "Stop Following" underneath the comment box for each group. Keep in mind the "Stop Following" displayed means you are following and "Follow" displayed means you are NOT following. Personally, I find the following to be the most efficient:
1) under N4M messages - check personal message, message from event and comment on My Page.
2) under Requests & Invitations - check all
3) under Contents and Members - check none
4) Moderation - check
5) Activity - check in my group, new member joins
6) Turn Off All Emails - don't check.
If you are going on vacation, you can check "Turn Off All Emails" until you come back from vacation. Be sure to turn uncheck this when you come back from vacation.
DON'T FORGET TO CLICK "SAVE" WHEN DONE.