This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Hi - is there anyone else who's recruit left yesterday, Sept 11?

Views: 1443

Replies to This Discussion

Mary123, I think it is a script lol. My son sounded like a robot. I didn't get a call from my newest SR but my son told me that his buddy probably didn't have time to call and he didn't take his cell phone(broke his the during my son's graduation last month). I'm hoping I get the form letter since he's planning on me attending his graduation. It's a shame your boys didn't leave at the same time. That's a long way to travel (and the expense too) if you are going to attend both their graduations.

I really hate that both of your sons didn't get to leave together.  But dig on this site for flight travel information.  That's the best thing I've found so far is information regarding travel to graduation which is actually called Pass In Review or PIR.  This is a flight search tool that came up with some good travel prices:  http://www.mwrtravelplus.com/

My fiance left on 9/11 as well. The unfortunate part is I never received the "i'm here" phone call. It's made me terribly sad, although he did call me when he had landed in Chicago. I feel pretty left out since I never got to hear him one last time for a while. I'm wondering if I will get a box too? He basically left with nothing, no cell phone or anything, except important materials that he could keep. Do they have the option to donate their clothes or is it a must that they send them back? I have a feeling I won't get a box....but I'm not sure.

Hi Juliette - he probably didn't want to call you because it was late or maybe he called his parents; I have this feeling that they only were allowed one phone call when they got there because my husband and I are separated now so  my daughter only called me.  How old is your fiance?  

RE: the box, I think it's optional.  My daughter's recruiter said something about donating the clothes but the recruits usually opt to send electronics back home for future use.

Dig in to this site, there is an area/group for fiances that you might find helpful.

He would have only called me - I'm sure of that. His parents live out of the country, so I know for sure. Plus I spoke with his sister and asked if any of them received his call and she said no. I guess maybe no time or he just opted out because he knew it was late? I have no clue really. I guess I'll find out once we start writing. And as for the box I definitely don't expect to see that, everthing he took he told me he was going to donate. I guess I'll see though! I actually belong to the girlfriends/wives/fiances group too lol. I just chimed in here because I saw all of you had someone head out on the 11th too :)

Juliette, they do have the option to donate or throw away their clothes. It's up to the recruit since they have to pay the shipping costs back. If you don't receive the box, do you know if he is sending his form letter with all the information on it to you or another family member? The letter will come in a few weeks. How long it takes depends on how quickly their division is formed. When my son went in in July, he was in special ops so his division formed really fast. In fact I think I got the letter before I got the box but that is rare. Good luck to you and feel free to pm me if you need to talk to someone.

Okay cool, i know he talked to me about donating his stuff so I'm assuming that's what will happen. His letter and any other info will come directly to me. He has very little family here, so I'm his main person, which makes me happy. So his phone calls and whatever else should always reach me before anyone else. I'm not sure how easy it would be for him to make a call or send a letter to his family since they live overseas....Anyways, I hope I don't have to wait too long for his form letter and address and stuff. I've been writing to him every day since he left - he'll probably think I'm a nag LOL...but we've been living together for a while and I feel so empty without him there...and I just feel like telling him everything as I always would. I miss him dearly, and it's only been 3 days! I hope this gets easier....It feels like a death to me, because of the no communication rule...and coming home to all his stuff each day...it's just odd! I can't wait till this is over with :(

My son received a letter a day from me and his girlfriend sent at least one a day too. He really liked the pictures we sent. What we did was print a picture (or two or three) onto a sheet of regular paper and then wrote on the back. Since they don't have a lot of room that worked out best since they could fold them up small without distroying a regular picture. I've been told they live for the mail so do continue to write everday. Count the Fridays instead of the days, it makes it seem quicker. Just visit N4M whenever you feel down. It does help a lot. Once his division is formed, join that. You will find other young women in your position and make new friends. At graduation, my son's girlfriend got to meet in person several of the girls that she had been talking to on here and Facebook. It really helped her get through the separtation by meeting other girls going through the same thing.

Thanks for the advice, it does help coming here. I met some really nice people. I suppose once I get his division and the form letter I can seek out people and join that as you said. I have no true experience with this military life at all. It's all so very new to me. My fiance joined the Navy Reserves...I'm happy about that because after this year is up he will be home. It's just the separation right now that's really tough. Nobody around me, friends/family seems to understand my depression. My mom keeps telling me that I allowed him to go! Which of course, I did...but she doesn't understand what you deal with once they're "actually" gone. Well hopefully time moves quickly, and I will do as you said and count the Fridays...it sounds easier, andddd, continue writing each day....that helps me feel better because I feel like I'm talking to him :) 

My husband just called and said we got "the box" today.  Wasn't expecting it so soon.  He said no info inside with an address, so I guess it will be on the form letter.  Thanks for the information on travel, since I'm going twice in such a short period, I will need all the help I can get, but wouldn't miss either of them.  Husband isn't going because his job takes him out to sea for 2months at a time, so he'll be gone.  My grocery bill should go way down.

My son left at the same time, and he too flew out of Houston.  I got my call approximately 11:45pm his time and it sounded as if it was well thought out.  I'm 17 hours ahead, so I was just getting ready to start dinner.  I was initially thrilled, but that quickly turned to worry.  Now the pacing begins.   

My son left 9/11 from Harrisburg, pa  I never got the "i'm here" call so finally called his recruiter who said that sometimes happens, still cried for two days!  I miss him so much and can't wait to get his address to send the letters I already wrote him!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service