This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Support and infromation for Spec Ops Divisions. If you have a son with a SEAL contract you may have questions and I will try to answer for you or direct you in the right direction. Buckle up, its a bumpy ride.

Views: 1783

Replies to This Discussion

AZKmom,

Thank You......I was surprised to have read of Hell Week during boot camp on another page.  Thanks for the clarification.

@bryandi.....I'm not sure if you meant my son in particular or anyone's son who is at preBUD/S.  We still don't have a date for our guys who will be heading out to Coronado.  There have been a number of dates floating around.  I think when we do know, it will be best for us to communicate that via personal message.  There is no set amount of time for preBUD/S, some are there longer than others.  Again, it's like at boot camp, they have to wait to have enough guys there to fill a new BUD/S class.  My son has been there 7 weeks now (less 10 days for Christmas leave) and it may be another 5-7 weeks before they head out......or it can be sooner.....or later.  As far as determining who get to go; here are the minimum requirements at their final PST.  1000 yard swim w/fins under 20 minutes, Push Ups- at least 70 2 minute time limit, Pull Ups - at least 10 no time limit, Sit Ups - at least 60 2 minute time limit and 4 mile run in pants and boots in 31 minutes or under.  

Thank you for the reply.  The PST is no problem for my SR!  Just hoping he doesn't have to stay in GL too long.  San Diego is a quick drive for me where as GL is a long flight.  Do they get weekends off during BUDS? 

They are unbelievably busy during Indoc and the first 3 weeks of Phase 1.  I doubt he would have a whole weekend, but might have a whole or part of a day.  The good thing is you live close enough to be flexible, and probably can do a last minute visit if he lets you know he is free.  He could always use you for personal errands if he doesn't have a vehicle.

I am just the opposite, Great Lakes is quick drive for me, about an hour away.  In fact, we drove down early Saturday morning and brought my son and a buddy home for the weekend, returning them last night. He came home to work a wrestling tournament for his old coach.  My husband actually works much nearer than that and will once a week or so meet up with him for dinner in the area.  It's been nice and we know how fortunate we are.  I am not positive (as my son is not in Coronado yet) but I do believe they do have weekends off.  Though I would guess, that time is used resting/healing up, trying to get warm again, and personal errands.  I have read a bit of discussions on best times to visit sons at BUD/S because of their focus and some of the suggestions have been that they are less busy during the Indoc weeks but a lot of parents/girlfriends did a quick visit AFTER hell week.  I also have read about people who have tried to "hang around" the beaches during the week and watch some of their training and it is NOT appreciated by the guys at all.  

I have a question. that has probably been asked, but I'm still learning.  Is this pre-BUDS the manditory class for SWCC my SR is talking about having to stay in GL for?  He said he would probably be there 10 to 20 business days. Is there usually liberty granted after this class?  Is it the type where they can go off base or they kind where they might be able to come home? Just curious.  Thanks.

Hi everyone, sjtina is a friend of mine and she thought maybe I could answer some SWCC questions. My son was PIR 8/21/09 and he had a SEAL contract but during pre-buds he changed to SWCC.  Then in Coronado he "dropped on request."  He is now a proud member of the Navy Aircrew.

Here's a link to the SWCC group in case you want to look ahead Paula.

http://www.navyformoms.com/group/swcc

Thanks Tee-1sailor's mom,

I have already seen that site and it was very informative.  Is the class my son is talking about the time spent "waiting' for the SWCC training to begin?  His contract is for SWCC and we had every expectation he would be headed to Coronado after PIR. I guess I just don't understand what pre-BUDS, BUDS and so forth are.

Paula, Pre BUDs and BUDs is only for SEAL candidates. (Basic Underwater Demolition) They will be spending more time in Great Lakes than your son.

Tee, I think Paula is asking what is next for her boy after BC.  

Paula, there is always other stuff for them to do before they class up and they may be having the Indoc classes for them at GL while he waits for a SWCC class to fill up. There aren't that many SWCC in each PIR group so he may have to wait, either in GL or in SD.  Also, each new base has a class they have to take to familiarize them with the rules of that duty station.  If you're wondering exactly when he'll get to SD, there's no way to tell.  They could even put him on hold until a new SWCC class is ready to begin.  This is just something you have to get used to.....the not knowing and the "hurry up and wait."   The funny thing is that sometimes WE know more than they do because of N4M's !!  The good news is that even if he's on hold, he's not an SR anymore and he can have a phone, leave base when he's not on duty, etc.  They can even leave overnight as long they stay within 300 miles of base.  (That rule depends on their particular situation however.

Just to clarify too, sjtina is right, pre-buds is only for BUDS candidates.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service