This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

ship 7 division 198,depart portland maine april 6,for great lakes illinois for boot camp

i'm totally lost without my youngest daughter...trying to figure all this out..any help would be appreciated

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK, deep breath, don't panic, all will be well. First, you need to know you're not alone, we've all been there, done that and you can pick our brains anytime.

You'll probably receive a very short (like 10 seconds) phone call tonight. She'll say "Hi Mom, I'm here!" click. Not everyone gets the call (too many new recruits, not enough phones or time) so don't worry if you don't get the call. Then in a few days you'll get the "kid-in-a-box".....everything she took with her will be returned to you via FedEx. That's when most of us lose it as we spot the cell phone in one shoe and the battery in the other. We all know that lack of cell phone means lack of kid.

Then comes the letter from the Navy thanking you for giving them your child. You can ignore that part and go immediately to the bottom of the last page where she will have scribbled a few lines. There's room for 3 but I heard of one kid who managed 7 lines. She'll probably tell you that she's made a terrible mistake, wants to come home, is miserable etc. Pay no attention. 99% of them say that, it's quite normal. Heartbreaking, but normal. This letter will also contain her address for you to write to her BUT......if you contact her recruiter within a few days of her leaving home, he'll be able to give you her address.

Start writing to her as soon as you get her address. She won't be given the letters for 2-3 weeks so number the envelopes so she knows which order to read them in. No fancy cards, no musical cards, no cutesy stickers on the envelopes. None of that until you find out from her what her RDC (recruit training commander) allows. Some are more flexible than others. Always be positive in what you write. No bad news (she can't do anything about it anyway), just endlessly encouraging and chatty. I know my son was thrilled to know where we'd been, who we'd talked to, what we had to eat, how the cats were....in other word, normal stuff. They have very little storage space so I printed photos on plain paper so it would fold easily. You can also send stamps and activated phone cards, though they can buy all that stuff at the NEX. (Navy Exchange)

You won't hear from her for about 3 weeks. They're only allowed to write on Sunday afternoons so expect a letter either Wed. or Thurs. that week. As the first 3 weeks are the hardest, she'll probably tell you more of the same (I hate it, want to come home etc. ect.) but by week 4 or 5 things will start to make sense and her tone will change.

If she does well she may be rewarded with a phone call home. I actually got 2. You will definitely get a phone call after "Battlestations" (that's the last big test before graduation), when she'll call you to tell you that she's a sailor (before that, she's just a recruit).

Any more questions? I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with too much info. Join the Bootcamp Moms group, you'll get more info plus may meet other moms with daughters in your daughter's division. And welcome to the crazy ride!
thank you so much chris,that made me smile,so there, that is a start...hahaha...so happy to have a respond..i will check in often,,just to reassure myself..and yes everything you wrote help alot...as i think of stuff i will write it down..wow this is overwhelming but i can do it,cause i know keshia can do it...lol tys again
My daughter is in Ship 7, division 198. We just got a letter from her-she has made friends with someone named Keshia. I wonder if it is your daughter? My daughters name is Brooke. She told me that this Keshia sprained her ankle and had to be moved to another ship. Brooke helped her carry her duffel bag. She said it was so sad and she cried. If it is your daughter, I hope the sprain isn't bad and that she recovers quickly.
omg i have not heard anything,,,but yeah my girl is keshia,,i hope she recovers quickly also...she is a tough cookie.she calls i will ask if she is the one that knows brooke...tys for the info...also surprise that they did not contact me of something like this...
Hello again. I am so sorry if I caused you any distress. I re-read the letter that Brooke sent and it wasn"t Keshia that sprained her ankle. It was another girls whose last name was Johnson. I'm so sorry. However, I did get to talk to Brooke yesterday, and I told her that I was pretty sure that I had chatted with Keshia's mom. She was pretty excited-she said they are good friends. Are you going to the graduation? Maybe we'll be able to meet.
Hi my daughter left on the 27th of April (im Mom), I just want to know basic things like, what if she does feel like bootcamp is too hard? or if she's miserable ? or if she's home sick? How would i know these things. Im assuming i would have to wait until i receive her letter, but im not sure if it will kill me first to wait to hear how she's doing. Im a nervous reck. She has never did so much but to have stayed overnight at a friends house, this is sooooo hard.We all cried so much before she left I hope she's not sad, or this is not too overwhelming for her.this is my first born child , and i've also been able to fix anything for her, but not this! im so afraid she's a girl and I feel like I let out to the wolves, I wanna be happy for her and I am but, I want to protect her too. Im strong and sometimes I think she'll be fine , she can do this ! then I say what if she cant!
its normal to feel like this,i did,she made the decision and i respect it cause this is what she wanted to do,,my daughter says it was tough the first few weeks but now she would not change it for the world..she says they will help them get threw this one day at a time.no backing out now...they do work as a team so we have to believe in them unless they tell us otherwise...sry i have been busy getting ready for this trip..but should be on more often from this point on..have trust...we made it this far so can the girls///
Maybe you can help me. My daughter is Ship 7, Div 198 also. I've heard from her but we are trying to make plans to attend her graduation. I dont know how much leave time she will get. Do you know what the usual is? I would sure appreciate a reply. Thanks!
i really don't know,,we are learning as we go sometime they have liberty which means that they can come out but have to sleep there at night...that is as far i know,,,
Ooops. You're already IN the Bootcamp moms forum, so ignore my advice to join.
My son is in the same ship 7 and division 198. Graduation May 27th, right? Have you heard from her? My son is hasn't wriittened but did call twice. I've been writing everyday!
nasmom sorry i have not heard a thing,not even a call...starting to worry about her now,but yeah i did get paper telling me may 27 was the graduation..but that was the last of that...getting nervous...they told me i should hear from her by the third week,well we are in the third week...but i do keep on writing to her twice a week...keep in touch..

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service