This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Hi everyone! I received my first letter from my son Daniel a week ago, (it was dated july 29th and i got it on the 3rd of aug) and was very concerned about the division he is in..291 ship 14 He said a lot of the guys weren't studying or doing what they were supposed to do so it was affecting the entire division. It sounds like the over all morale was being affected however i know things change from week to week...he left on the 17th and is now into the 3rd week, Still no phone call home due to the infractions of his division he said. I was wondering if anyone else had any more input to add? I am also very nervous about graduation since he said some guys were being set back a few weeks. he said he wasn't sure he had it in him to motivate himself to go through it again, As a mom it killed me to read that. So far he had said he passed the first test (swim test) which was some what difficult and had not been yelled out YET. lol....i am anxiously awaiting his grad date of Sept 14th GOD WILLING nothing changes. we booked our tickets today in faith that nothing will change. FINGERS CROSSED and lots of praying,

Views: 380

Replies to This Discussion

danielsmom - don't get too worried. The first letter home from many SR's is not very uplifting. They are still adapting to their new lives. I know it's very distressing to wait and wait and finally get the letter and read that they aren't totally happy and not be able to help them. The tone of the letters should change by the 2nd or 3rd one that you get. Just keep writing him newsy, upbeat and encouraging letters from home. As for the division being a bunch of screw-ups. Again - at the time he wrote the letter they had only been a division for a week or two - right? They are still learning how to gel together. There will always be some screw ups in a division but as the weeks go on they work as a team more and more. My son went through boot camp almost a year ago. For about the first month or so his letters were full of how much his division was screwing up and and how awesome his brother division was doing. By the end of the 8 weeks his division had won Captains Cup and were awarded a few more flags than the brother division. It is just a process that takes some time. Phone calls don't usually get to be made until they are there at least 3 weeks - so if they are witholding calls because of the infractions they haven't been withholding them for weeks at a time.
Finally - about him passing. He will do fine. You have to book your tickets and make your plans on faith that he will make it through. My son didn't pass the run the first time and they came and worked with him and a couple others so he had extra training time. It helped him to shave almost 4 minutes off of his run. I always made my plans as though there was no question that he would pass all his tests (I did a LOT of praying too). The RDC's and everyone at GL want the SR's to pass and do everything they can to make that happen and will work with them to make sure that they do their best. The guys that are being set back may be due to health reasons or something else - they wouldn't already be setting guys back because of PT testing. They have basically all 8 weeks to pass their tests before PIR.
Stay strong mom - I'm am confident you will see a change in attitude from your son soon!!

Thanks SO MUCH for the detailed response! The 411 you provided made me feel so much better and hopeful!. I did speak with him soon after i posted this for 14minutes...lol...he was in better spirits but had a cough possibly due to side affects of the shots/vaccines im assuming? He said he didn't want to go to medical though...he also added that phone calls were a privileged activity and wasn't sure when or if he would be calling again anytime soon...

My son is also in this division.  Have gotten the phone call and several letters.  He has even written his sisters and grandparents.  He sounds pretty good considering.  But he has always kept his feelings more to himself.  He says they are still working together as a group, and we encourage him to remember when someone messes up, work to help them get it right next time instead of getting mad.  It may be him that messes up one time and he wouldn't want everyone mad at him.  He did say that the group had IT (intense training) several times for not getting something right.  He got it himself once for flinching during an inspection.  Said he had to do jumping jacks and it could have been worse.  He said they have been so busy, that a lot of guys had a hard time with the first  test, but he did real good.  He is not an athlete and his problem is the running.  He did some before leaving but has had some medical problems induced by the running and stressing over trying to pass the running part.  He's got  the other stuff together, even the other part of PT.  He was in the hospital off base this week and called to let me know what was going on and he filled me in some.  He said they did B.A.S.E.S and that was Cool...Practiced battleship stations and jobs, but said it was rough.  He said he studies all the time, there's a lot to learn.  He just wants this so bad, but we are counting down days til graduation.  I miss him so much, it's hard not letting him hear it in my voice or telling him in his letters.  He says to keep the letters coming.  It helps so much.  I cannot imagine the kids there that don't get any mail..It's nice to have this place to talk to someone else missing their child as much as I miss mine!!  God Bless each of them and us too!!

Hi...Our sons are in the same div. I understand how you must feel. My biggest worry is that the whole division not working together as a whole. My son was the only one during his DEP meetings that could recite the 11 or 12 rules. Can't remember what they are called. He would come home after every meeting and be all frustrated that the others at the DEP meeting haven't even bother studying. He was all in it from the beginning. I hope they can pull together soon and work as a team. You will have to let me know if your son knows my son. I am sure they do. I was so proud of our son when he told us that he passed his swim test. I know they will all do great it will just take a little time for them all to learn to work as a team.

My sentiment EXACTLY! My son said he was getting along with everyone however at night when it was time to sleep a lot of the guys began to argue...not sure what the details were surrounding it but i presume it has to do with getting it together...i suppose that could be construed as positive collective bonding for them? lol...I can imagine that the next few weeks will be more questions then answers! i appreciate this form to vent and the instant family that i now feel i have with all of you fellow moms sharing in my worry and similar thoughts!

Hi.  My son graduated 7/13 and was on Ship Staff for his division. He use to tell me in his letters about how some of the immature SR's can bring down their division.  The good news is that your son should be fine.  If those SR's continue to screw up they will be pulled out, but I have never heard of them punishing the whole division.  My friend had two sons who went through Navy BC as well, and they had similiar issues.  The downside is a lot of extra IT (intensive training) for the division and a lack of priviledges.  That usually equates to no phone calls. :( Hopefully, the trouble makers will get it together of they will push them back so that the division doesn't continue to suffer- which is what it sounds like happened.  Also, my son is pretty tough, but his first letter and call were rough.  He said all he wanted to do was quit.  So keep writing him everyday..it is their lifeline. My son's division ended up winning Captains Cup and a Battle E Flag.  My son is now in A School and is so happy he joined the Navy. You will start to hear him get more positive after hell week. Hang in there!

This was so helpful to read THANK YOU. Thankfully i did receive a call just last night and he never mentioned quitting so i have to take that as a good sign, i told him it was the RTCs job to weed out the weaker possible recruits that "arent in it to win it"...its sort of hard to have a pep talk with him since i cannot relate to any of it...all i keep telling him is to stay positive and every check mark he puts on the calendar gets him that much closer to graduation...those are words for ME too! 

my son is in this division - I got a call tonight. Did anyone else?

My son talked to his dad. Now I am worried because my husband said he sounded very down, said he hates it and wants to leave. What did your son have to say?

He said that he realizes that he needs to do exactly what they tell him to do. And he said that the recruits are helping each other through. Like if they get yelled at, they support each other later about what the RDC said, when the RDCs say ridiculous things. For example, one day they were told to put their shoes in compartment 3. And my son put them in the wrong spot. The petty officer yelled "Is that compartment 3?" and he quickly moved his shoes. Then the cheif came in and asked the petty officer if anyone had not put their shoes in the right compartment. The P.O. said my son hadn't. The chief said my son's last name and then said don't be a f***bag! And moved on. Later the recruits shared a laugh and wondered...what is a f***bag? My son didn't sound happy but didn't say he wants to leave. We only got to talk for 12 minutes. For some reason he tried to call me 3 times...and my phone (cell) didn't ring. Luckily it did on the 3rd try. He was worried we were not going to be able to talk. He said letters are so very important.  Said that some of the recruits are not getting them.  When I first answered I asked him how long he had for the call, he didn't know so we talked fast. When it was time to go, I heard yelling in the background (must have been the RDC) and my son said, I have to go, I love you, bye! and hung up. Very abrupt, but I get it.

my son said he checks everything in quadruple to try to avoid being yelled at and said much of the ridicule from the RTC is due to not doing the tasks perfectly like making beds etc. He says he does everything possible to avoid direct interaction with them so that means excellence in everything...THIS IS COMING FROM A CHILD THAT NEVER CLEANED ANYTHING without being yelled at first. i would also guess that because they were probably within earshot of each other on the phone your son may not have been able to fully divulge all that was going on. I sensed that with my son while i spoke to him. he was being slightly indirect. as mothers we will always suffer from the worries...i live in FL so i feel helpless! 

YES i did...praise God it was soooooo great to hear his voice....he said the first 2weeks were horrible but he was beginning to get better acclimated. It was only a 14 minute call and i didnt get many of the questions i had for him answered but his voice sounded generally calm and he didnt seem too stressed. He said he enjoys classroom time because they can laugh and be somewhat "normal" :) 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service