This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
General Info:

The Navy's Advanced Electronics / Computer Field offers extensive training in all aspects of electronics including computer systems, radars, communications systems and weapons fire control systems such as the Navy's advanced missile system, Aegis. The standards for selection for enlistment in the Navy's Advanced Electronics / Computer Field are high. Personnel interested in applying for Advanced Electronics / Computer Field should be seriously interested in pursuing the challenge this highly technical field offers. They must be mature, ready to take on significant responsibility and willing to apply themselves. Enlistees enter as E-1s (seaman recruits). Advancement to paygrade E-2 (seaman apprentice) will be made after successful completion of recruit training. Advancement to E-3 will be made after completion of all advancement-in-rate requirements (including minimum time and course work). Advancement to paygrade E-4 (petty officer third class) will be made after successful completion of initial school training and after all advancement-in-rate requirements (including minimum time and course work) are completed. Advancement to E-3 and E-4 is contingent upon maintaining eligibility in the Advanced Electronics / Computer Field program. Eligible personnel may be paid bonuses at the time of re-enlistment. All bonuses are in addition to Navy salary and allowances for food and housing.

What They Do:

Only two Navy job specialties, called "ratings," are included in the Advanced Electronics / Computer Field: Electronics Technician (ET) and Fire Controlman (FC). The rating in which an Advanced Electronics / Computer Field candidate is trained is determined in the initial phase of the Advanced Electronics Technical Core Course in Great Lakes, Ill. However, eligibility requirements are the same for both ratings in the Advanced Electronics / Computer Field. ETs maintain and repair electronics equipment such as radar, communication and navigation equipment. The ET and FC (AEF) ratings comprise the basis of the ship's Combat Systems department aboard ships and are responsible for maintaining the ship's readiness for combat operations.

Detailed List of Required Duties

ASVAB Score:A

AR+MK+EI+GS=223

Other Requirements:

Must have normal color perception. Must have normal hearing. Security Clearance, (SECRET) Requirement. Must be U.S. citizen

Technical Training Information:

Not Available.

Working Environment:

Jobs performed by ETs and FCs are performed throughout the Navy's fleet of surface ships including aircraft carriers and Aegis cruisers, and at repair activities ashore.

Views: 191

Replies to This Discussion

For all the new ET moms so they can understand what their sons and daughters will be doing.
where is an ET's C school? and how long?...oh and thanks for all the help!!
ET c-schools can be in many different places around the country - it all depends on what system your husband gets. And again, how long they are depends on the system too; can be a few weeks to a few months.
Hi moms!

My son is an Electronics Technician.. His A school was in Great Lakes right after PIR. He was there for 2 months. He was then sent to Whidbey Island Washington for B school, again 2 months and then on to Coronado Island near Sandiego CA for C school for 2 1/2 months. He knew what ship and unit he would be with before leaving B school in Washington. Most sailors have 180 hrs. TAD before they work with their units. They don't just jump out on the deck and start doing the job they are being trained for..When my son deployed for the first time, Christmas day 2007 he was sent to Atsugi Japan and is ET working with HS-14 carrier air wing 5 on the USS Kitty Hawk and is now on the USS George Washington. He is now a PO (Petty Officer ) 3rd. class.. How proud a mom feels!!

This is also a time to watch their step!! drinking and to much time on their hands will cause a problem.. I worried because it seemed like when my son was going to A,B.& C school he had to much freedom to go out drinking. I coudn't understand how he did so well in the tests ,with all the free time.. lol
Delighted to have your knowledge and experiences here Leah!
Thanks for the great info on the ET job description. My son graduated bootcamp on 8/1 and will be starting A school for ET in a few weeks. Sounds like he's going to have to study hard to get thru the classes. My son says he will be in school 211 days.
You've come to the right place Tammie, we have a number of ETs in that group that are always ready to help with questions. Let us know how we can be of help to you during his journey.
Thanks Mary. I can see that this site not only helped me through boot camp but, is going to help with info for A school.
Tammie,

My son Dan also graduated on 8/1 and is in the ET program, and at Great Lakes for A-school. I guess technically that hasn't quite started yet, though he's been in other kinds of training.

I wonder if our sons know each other!

Lisalynn
Hi Mary, THanks for the job description. My son actually graduated an E-3. WHAT DOES AR+MK+EI+GS=223 mean? Was that a score? If it was a score, then what does ar, mk ei & gs stand for? Also, do all ET's go to C-school? My son was told that after A-school he would be deployed ---- that does mean out to sea, right? So when would he go to C-school?
Thanks for helping with all the info.
And if you drink enough coffee to get thru that "official" document - let the rest of us know what it means!!!

So do ETs get deployed and take their C school later or go directly to C school after A? So much to learn here!!!
I'll chime in on this one and ask Sharon a question. Was it possible that your son enlisted under the EL-4 program???

If so that is a program that is similar to the EL-6 and/or AECF, only it's a 4 year program and I remember reading that those in the 4-yr program do NOT get c-school; that they get a permanent duty station assignment after A-school. So it "could" be possible that an ET might not get a c-school, but it just depends on their contract.

I haven't heard much about the program lately, so I wonder if it was just a pilot program or something, but I do remember talk of it on the miltary.com forums about a year or so ago.

And great job on the answers Marsher!! Pretty soon you'll be passing me up on the "knowledge base" aspect - keep up the good work.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service