This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Hey Everyone,

My husband left for bootcamp about two and a half weeks ago. I'd love to have some kind of checklist or something to tell me what to do now! I mean as far as the DEERS program goes and getting benefits and stuff. I'm terrible with these kinds of things and I've been reading about it online but I'd love to have some advice thats down to earth and from personal experience. And suggestions about different health care plans and what not.

Thanks so much: )

Views: 179

Replies to This Discussion

My Husband Left for BC about 2.5 weeks ago as well!  As far as I know the closest thing to a checklist is

http://learning.zeiders.refineddata.com/course/view.php?id=4502

And this site is helpful too

http://www.netc.navy.mil/nstc/military_spouse.asp#Top  

These are great links that has helped me out a lot.  

My Husband took care of the DEERS program for me at BC, and sent me the paperwork.  Yours should have too.  It needs to be done before you can get your ID.  Did you get a packet in the mail with the info to get your ID?  What Ship/Div?

I am completely confused by it as well, but those sites should help.  Depending on his recruiter, He/She can answer a lot of questions about it as well. My SR's recruiting office has been very helpful for me.  I got my info from my SR  for my Military ID, and I am going to get it made on Tuesday, and they may be able to answer questions too.  

Personally, we are starting with Tricare standard, and we added Dental on top of that too.  I don't see doctors very often so a little co-pay is fine with me for now.  Once he gets a duty station and we know where we are going to be for a while, then we are going to switch to Tricare Prime.  I am looking into the life insurance part for myself, but he is covered. 

Thanks so much!

No, the only information I have recieved was the Form Letter. I know he enrolled me in it before he left but I still need to get the application packet.  Unfortunately, his recruiter is a very nice guy but not very well informed and the information he has given us has been wrong, haha. Where do you get it made? The meps place or the recruiting office? 

It depends on where you are.  Where I am I can go to the Armory.  How I found that out is I googled " Get Military ID made" and my town.  Many are Appointment only.  That is something I KNOW the recruiter will know.  If they don't....well, Pssshhhh on them. :-)

That orientation website is great! The ID card locator website is down though and when i google it, a bunch of different towns and other military branches pop up. Hopefully they get their site fixed soon. 

Thank you for your help: )

Do you mind me asking how much adding dental insurance was for you? 

heyyy girl. as far as DEERS goes your hubs will set that up. then in the mail he will send you the whole packet. you take that info into the nearest place that does id cards....usually bases, I was in a tiny town with nothing around me and I was able to go to a national guard office .... there is a number you can call and they will tell you where the closest place is and they will give you their number...that's on the info  packet, or you can look online. I was so excited to get my ID card :P

as far as insurance goes I was lost too, but I talked to a lady who worked where I got my ID , and she told me that just the regular insurance you are given you have to pay more when you go see a doctor. I got Tricare prime which when I go to the doctor I don't have to pay ANYTHING  . I didn't even have to pay for my prescriptions. we went with Tricare prime b/c we want to start a family soon..... with navy medical they assign you a doctor . that's who you go to. unless you have prime you cannot see any other doctor. I can see other doctors on the same "team" as my doctor.  and if I don't like my doctor I can call and ask to change.  if you go to an urgent care you have to call to make sure they cover it, and I know my ER visits are covered b/c i chopped my finger up pretty good and didn't have to pay anything. but im not sure about basic insurance. i hope that kind of cleared that up a bit. :P

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service