This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Good Afternoon Moms of Future Sailors,

My son is leaving for GL Thursday, Aug 30th.  Anyone else have a son/daughter leaving that day or close?  Emotional rollercoaster now that closing in on 30 days.

Views: 380

Replies to This Discussion

Hi 4Roses92- My son leaves August 29th.  My emotions have been all over the place too. I'm not sure I'm ready for this ride.

Welcome Ladies to Navy Moms, yes around this time before your Loved ones leave and after  it will be very Emotional overwhelming feeling. I know this all too well. I am Phoenixmom and I help out on Boot Camp Moms. all I can suggest right now is to spend as much time possible with your Loved one. Once they get to BC communiction will be cut for about 3 weeks. Make sure your Loved one brings there cell phone so they can call you when they arrive, they have no phones available for them to use. and let them know to keep it charged  because if not then they may not be able to call. you can send stamps, calling card, a small phone book with numbers and addresses (one that fits in wallet) and slip a note and picture in wallet also. That would be a nice surprise for them when things get rough. If there is anything Ladies that I can help you out with please reach out. I will post some sites for you to go over. and if you can get a POA and make sure you are on their accounts just in case you may have to do some of their business for them. You will be in good hands here Ladies and never alone will you be.

(See Things to Do in the Last Month Before Your Future Sailor Leaves for....)

See Arrival and What Happens at the RTC and Ship/Division--How it Works.

How long is the "I'm here!" call and when will s/he be able to call again?

See Phone Cards and Phone Calls.

Ladies I would have your Loved ones look over the Physical fitness part and have them to begin running, swimming, push ups and more this will explain everything that needs to be passed.

See When to Expect Your Form Letter and  Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA) and Fitness Improvement Training (FIT) for more information.) 

Hi 4Roses92,

My son leaves 8/15/18... definitely on an emotional roller coaster... planning his "growing" away dinner and keeping busy with work is helping. As well as praying and staying in the Word.

ChildofGod that is Great to hear, and Yes Ma'am it will be an Emotional one. Make sure you have those attending write some  encouragement Notes or scriptures and as you send a letter you would put one of those in the letter and have them sign it also. dont forget addresses and phone number to put in his wallet and maybe a note from you or whomever for those days that he has a hard day and he can look at and read. a picture. He and they do have a Hard time also with no communication so just a few little hints. a calling card already activiated, some stamps unless you do like all the other moms "the Sandboxx app" hope all goes well and Best wishes to your Son.

Thank you for your encouragement Phoenixmom.  My son's Growing Away dinner was a success!  I have close to 30 letters/cards to send to my Recruit once he's away.  I will look into either getting a calling card of learning more about the "Sandboxx" app and downloading it-this is the first time I hear of this option, so THANK YOU!! Have a blessed day!

ChildofGod I am so Happy it all went well, we will be routing for your Son, and best wishes to him!

Mine is leaving Monday. He is so ready. What about yours?
My daughter leaves on 8/15 as well...getting really emotional for me

Hello! my son also leaves on the 30th of Aug. for GL.  It has been very emotional for me as this is my youngest.  I unfortunately was not made aware of this wonderful and so informative site until last week.  I have to say my son's recruiters were not very forthcoming with information.  I am very impressed with what I have been reading on this site and it has been most informative and comforting to know that there is a place for me to reach out and ask questions (silly or not)  I am very happy to have this available for me.  THANK YOU from the bottom of my very emotional heart.  

Hi, and welcome to navy moms. Glad to have you along. Please come join boot camp moms. You will learn so much and the Journey begins. Every step of 5hecway is a journey to learn. I encourage you to read on everything you can get your hands on., your Loved ones rate and what he will be studying once BC is over. The more you read the more knowledge you will have. Congrats on your New SR. To be.

My daughter left for GL on 8/30/18 also. Yes, it is an emotional rollercoaster, but so thankful to have found this site and all the info provided. We can get through this together!

Hello,My son left August 30, too we are in the same boat . I could not go with him to the airport, too much for me, my husband went back to work, I drove home crying all the way. What I did when the tears finally stopped, I kept myself busy, went food shopping and cooked. Cooking is my stress relief and it keeps me busy no matter how tired I am from work

The call I was expecting was in Great Lakes but he was able to call me from the airport and that made me feel better. 

I work at the Veterans Hospital in Albany, my co Staff RN was in the Navy, our ward secretary was in the Navy, and all I’ve heard was positive things.. I guess for Moms like us, it’s not easy, my  main concern is PTSD but our psychologist had told me that the Navy is at the least percentage of their patients.  Let’s keep busy as our support group is advising us to do.I had a beautiful poem that one grandma  from the  group sent me and it was so uplifting, I wish I could post it but I don’t know how.

Keep in touch I hope all is well with our kids. I have a 93 year old Navy veteran in our Nursing Home and his experiences are still vivid and very detailed.They are so special and the government are really giving them the best.Ive worked with them for 11 years now  and I’ll be retiring dec31... I will come back to volunteer some of my time.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service